[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I don't trust any foodstuff that cannot be made in a kitchen.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1

File: 1-2-3.jpg (86KB, 690x446px) Image search: [Google]
1-2-3.jpg
86KB, 690x446px
I don't trust any foodstuff that cannot be made in a kitchen. Why is this allowed?
>>
>>9246476
>Why is this allowed?

Why is what allowed? Your strange mental state? Or coca cola?

BTW, you can make cola in your kitchen.
>>
>>9246476
Me neither. I avoid industrially produced food.
>>
>>9246476
You do realise that the only real difference between factories and domestic kitchens is scale and use of additives for consistent quality and increased shelf life?

For instance, it's perfectly possible to brew something very similar to Coca Cola in your own home, but can you ensure that it turns out just as good every single time you make it?
>>
>>9246515
Yeah, sure (((buddy)))
>>
>>9246515
That's not the whole picture, though.

Mass consisstency requires using lowest-common-denominator ingredient quality.

There are also frequent trade-offs made that favor things like long shelf life or durability during shipping at the cost of quality.
>>
>>9246519
Nice (((retort))).
>>
Ingredients:
1 oz (28 g) caffeine citrate
3 oz (85 g) citric acid
1 US fl oz (30 ml) vanilla extract
1 US qt (946 ml) lime juice
2.5 oz (71 g) "flavoring", i.e., "Merchandise 7X"
30 lb (14 kg) sugar
4 US fl oz (118.3 ml) fluid extract of coca leaves (flavor essence of the coca leaf).
2.5 US gal (9.5 l; 2.1 imp gal) water
caramel sufficient to give color
"Mix caffeine acid and lime juice in 1 quart boiling water add vanilla and flavoring when cool."
Flavoring (Merchandise 7X):
1 qrt alcohol
80 oil orange
40 oil cinnamon
120 oil lemon
20 oil coriander
40 oil nutmeg
40 oil neroli
"Let stand 24 hours."
>>
>>9246515
It's also ingredient quality. In order to mass produce food with a long shelf life you pretty much have to use seriously degraded ingredients. Even basic shit gets fucked up - sugar becomes HFCS, flour becomes enriched bleached brominated flour, lemon juice gets replaced with citric acid, olive oil gets replaced with soy/palm/cottonseed bullshit.
>>
>>9246525
That's true. That's the reason why supermarket tomatoes often taste bland compared to heirloom varieties. They're bred to be high-yield and to ship well over long distances. Fresh produce of any kind is far better than overripe, rotting mush.

Still, saying that factory food is somehow more 'dangerous' than home-made is pretty ridiculous, especially if you're a sloppy cook with Pajeet-level hygiene standards. And ultimately, worrying about what you eat is more vital than where it's from; home-made doughnuts will clog your arteries just as surely as Dunkin's, if not worse if you fry them in saturated animal fat.
>>
>>9246564
There's that "saturated fat causes atherosclerosis" meme again!
>>
>>9246565
But it does. It's common knowledge at this point, along with the fact that certain unsaturated fats (e.g. linoleic acid/Omega 6) also have poor effects on health.

Literally every single diet plan made by qualified nutritionists, and even a lot of fad diets advise eating a wide variety of healthy unsaturated fats and giving saturated fats a wide berth. Even then, fats should be eaten sparingly, because all of them have the potential to cause heart disease and increase the risk for developing others (e.g. type 2 diabetes).
>>
>>9246476
>I don't trust any foodstuff that cannot be made in a kitchen. Why is this allowed?

Because it's immoral to regulate people's health decisions in a free society
>>
>>9246564
>Still, saying that factory food is somehow more 'dangerous' than home-made is pretty ridiculous

I don't think anyone said that.
>>
>>9246565
I watch Adam Ruins Everything too. Its a pop science liberal garbage show
>>
>>9246593
>I don't trust any foodstuff that cannot be made in a kitchen.

Then what exactly did the OP imply with this statement, if not that? By that logic, do they also think willow-tea is a more 'trustworthy' medicine than generic Aspirin tablets from a pharmacy?
>>
>>9246635

I can't speak for OP, but I don't trust commercially produced food to taste good. I have no worries about safety, rather I expect the food to taste bad (relatively speaking) due to the aforementioned shortcuts and shitty ingredients. It's not safety I lack trust in, it's flavor.
>>
>>9246531
I thought kola nuts were involved at some point?
>>
>>9246480
Can't legally make coca-cola though, as it's still flavored with coca leaves that have had the cocaine removed.
>>
>>9246668
You can make something close enough that the distinction is irrelevant.

And I'm sure if you really cared enough you could source cocoa leaves, though I can't imagine the hassle would be worth it.
>>
>>9246585
>But it does. It's common knowledge at this point,
Sure sounds like a funny thing to say when you won't even find a single scientific study claiming it causes it.
>>
>>9246564
>'dangerous'
One could make the argument that food that provides lots of calories with little in the way of nutrition, while simulating the flavor of nutritious food is dangerous. It's what allows people to become obese and malnourished at the same time.
>>
>>9246476

i'm trying to drop soda entirely, how much better would it be to switch to lemonade?
>>
>>9246694
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/16904539
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/19828712/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/12442909/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1312295/
>>
>>9246711
Not much, switch to flavored seltzer water.
>>
>>9246711
Mostly useless. Theyre both sugar water
>>
>>9246476
you can though
>>
>>9246476
An ice cold coca cola once in a while is one of life's small pleasures.
>>
>>9246711
Depends, if you're making it yourself with less sugar it'll be healthier. If you're drinking packaged lemonade it'll have as much sugar as soda. If you're a guy you should limit your daily sugar intake to about 40 grams = 10 teaspoons = 3 tablespoons, and one serving of soda/lemonade could have all of that.
>>
>>9246964
Yeah it'd be better if more people thought of it as a dessert/treat and drank it in 6 oz portions. It's not a substitute for water.
>>
>>9246647
This.
>>
>>9246668
>>9246672
>>9246480
>what is a sodastream
>>
>>9246661
They removed it early 20th century over fears it would cause black men to rape white women
>>
>>9247451
clearly didn't work. must be one of the other ingredients.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.