[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best Authentic Chinese Dishes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: mapo.jpg (58KB, 650x487px) Image search: [Google]
mapo.jpg
58KB, 650x487px
About to get some chinese food and need some recommendations on legitimate Cantonese dishes. Finally found a place that doesn't do American lunch combos of general's chicken, egg roll, and fried rice.

Pic related. Ma po tofu is one of the items I'm getting
>>
Try pork blood pudding next.
>>
My family came from hong kong and guangdong and some of the dishes we eat are
Bitter melon with beef
broth with various beef pieces and dried things
tomato, egg and beef
fermented beans with cut up pork which have pieces of bone in them
congee with what I think is called conpoy and chicken
hofan which is fried beef and wide rice noodles as well as soy sauce, spring onion and bean shoots
steamed pork mince with ginger and cantonese salt preserved fish
Fried rice with char siu or cantonese salt preserved fish or cantonese sausage
char siu bao
Steamed white fish with soy sauce, spring onion, ginger.
Basically all of these are served with rice.
Granted this is what I was given back when I was a kid and when my mother still hated her chinese heritage so it excludes a lot of delicious dishes like tripe and pork tongue since she didn't want her kids to eat such barbarous food.
Also excludes dishes served at yum cha which we used to go to every month or so.
>>
fucking eggplant cooked with pork m8 i dont know what it is called but eggplant cooked with pork.
>>
>>9245603
>Authentic Chinese
fucking disgusting just get some of the North American shit that contains civilization we've beaten into the chinks over the years.
>>
cheung fun is really good
hong shao rou
>>
>>9245739
literally kill yourself I hope you choke on your flavourless shit to death
>>
>>9245603
Mapo Tofu belongs to sichuan cuisine not cantonese.

You could always start with the classics like generic dim sum, bbq pork or stir-fried rice noodles with beef

These are my favourite when I was in southern China but nobody knows about them in the west due to translation difficulties:

白斩鸡
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_cut_chicken
香芋扣肉
https://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E6%89%A3%E8%82%89
客家酿豆腐
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yong_Tau_Foo

Generally a good idea is NEVER, NEVER order from the full English menu. They are usually very bland to cater to western palate. Ask the server or manager for advice and flavours you want to try. Also some seafood dishes are cooked multiple ways, you have to ask them for the options (if you know what you want that is)

t. lived in Shenzhen for a few months
>>
>>9245603
Clams in black bean sauce. Total Cantonese classic.
>>
>>9245603
>cantonese
>mapo tofu

pick one
>>
>>9245603
Real, authentic Chinese food is shit. We make much better Chinese food in America.

Not even joking, I'm in Taiwan and the food sucks in comparison.
>>
>>9246774
Taiwanese food is only hokkien food

btw General tso's chicken is made up by a taiwanese chef when asked what his random dish is called
>>
>>9245643
Thank you for this list, learned some new dishes. Hofan looks really good!
>>
File: yummy house.jpg (145KB, 1000x562px) Image search: [Google]
yummy house.jpg
145KB, 1000x562px
>>9245935
>You could always start with the classics like generic dim sum, bbq pork or stir-fried rice noodles with beef
OP, if you can find a dim sum restaurant, go for it. That's the good stuff.

I have to agree with so many posters, that americanized chinese food, at a better restaurant i mean, will be just improved upon in many cases. Higher ratio of meat to sauce, or a little improvement of white meat chicken versus some gristle and tendons still on there. American tastes, indeed.

Some restaurants will have a traditional menu for actual chinese patrons and specials as well. This chinese near my old house does that. This is where you will find the preserved vegetables, luscious eggplant dishes, lobster special. It all looks kind of tame on a menu, but you can get your fresh seafood cooked in the black bean sauce or salt and pepper.
http://www.goldchinamiami.com/content/pdf/chinesemenu-2017.pdf

I gotta say that I'm not in love with Chinese food. Traditional is not all dat. To me, it's the desert climate food option of like Persian food vs Greek Food kind of comparision. Less fresh herbs involved in everything when compared to some more tropical choices like Thai, indonesian, or vietnamese. Add in some fusion and I am more enthused, as well. It is not like traditional is bad, but it might all have the same texture unless you bring in another culture. A crispy bahn mi roll is the perfect added thing to the flavors and textures inside to make it so perfect you know? Taking a steamed dumpling and pan frying it, and then covering it with crispy shallots, oh, that is miles better than just soft and gelatinous alone
Nobu gets that japanese food can be bland for every diner. And, these two restaurants get that:
http://www.sakayakitchen.com/menu/
https://mechanoodlebar.com/menus/new-haven-ct

pic are Yummy House chicken wings, a west coast of Florida small chain. These things have skin as crispy as a potato chip!
>>
>>9245643
I was all around Hunan last year and had this magnificent beef and hot pepper dish several times. Nobody could give me a name, but it definitely makes my Top 10 favourite foods of all time.

Guangdong is so close to where I was. Do you know of any dishes like this?
>>
Is it possible to cook anything on a wok, given proper heating and temperature?
>>
>>9246774
lol you fool
how do you go to asia and still fuck up finding chinese food
>>
Dude, there's an authentic Chinese restaurant near me. I eat there like all the time. My favorite dishes are:

General Sue's chicken
Moo Goo Gay Pan (lol!)
Cheese rangoons
American cheeseburger
Orange chicken
Beef Teryaki
soft serve ice cream (unlimited)
>>
File: 1278921663.png (130KB, 395x250px) Image search: [Google]
1278921663.png
130KB, 395x250px
>>9245603
u kno the correct answer anon
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.