[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

are cheap espresso machines worth it? i mean anything under 200$

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

are cheap espresso machines worth it?

i mean anything under 200$
>>
>>9238448
>way too low pressure
>'crema' filters to make up for it
>no magnetic valve, therefore no backflush and no cleaning

no

if you can find a 'proper' machine for a good used price like the old version of the gaggia cc that often goes for less than $200 then you're fine, though
>>
>>9238448
Inb4 fags saying you need to spend over a grand on a machine to get anything drinkable so just buy it from a real "local" coffee shop. O if you "insist" on making "good" coffee at home just get a moka pot or an aero press.

Coffee fags are the worst
>>
>>9238448

Yes, if you drink espresso.

If you want fagoffee, probably not.
The cheaper machines do not activate almonds.
>>
>>9238448
nope.
>>
>>9238459
what the fuck is a crema filter and backflush
>>
>>9238464
>just get a moka pot or an aero press.
Holy fuck, I lol'd. Kill yourself
>>
>>9238636
what the fuck is a google
>>
>>9238830
why the fuck couldn't you answer my question
>>
>>9239805
Kill yourself
>>
>>9239823
am i supposed to be mad?
>>
Moka pots are cheap and make perfectly fine espresso.
>>
I bought a cheap espresso machine, the steam arm broke off and killed 48 people and seriously injured 12 others.
>>
>>9240026
Serves you right for living in a flyover state with no good coffee shops.

*sips*
>>
File: portafilter.jpg (296KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
portafilter.jpg
296KB, 1600x1200px
The cheap shitty Breville can be tricked into high temperature extractions, but you need to fuck around with it. Also buy a new portafilter basket.
>>
>>9238448
The machine pictured is just a rearranged Moka pot with a steam wand. The only pressure provided is steam pressure, no pump.

That said, even actual espresso machines in that price range are crap. Poor temperature control and poor pressure control make for inconsistent and typically awful shots. The machine tries to make up for poor pressure control (and the poor grind they assume you'll have) with a pressurized portafilter, but they don't do a good job. You could maybe make it something resembling passable with tons of modding, but it'd be a couple hundred in parts.

>>9238636
The pressurized portafilter is what he's talking about. It's a filter basket with a built in valve to release at a certain pressure in order to make up for bad internals and poor grind quality. It also foams the coffee up creating a faux crema, which is why he's calling it a "crema" filter.

Backflushing is using a filter basket without holes that forces water through the group and out the mentioned valve. It's one way to clean the machine. There are others, but they'll involve disassembly.

>>9238464
You caught me, trying to save someone the frustration of home espresso with home equipment. I'll go one further even: just buy it from a shop even if you're willing to drop 20 grand. *Unless* you want to make it a hobby. Home espresso is a pointless exercise in frustration if you just want the drink. You really need to enjoy the process for it to be worthwhile.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.