[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is organic a meme?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: organic.png (124KB, 429x435px) Image search: [Google]
organic.png
124KB, 429x435px
is it better for you? is there any difference between organic and reg?
>>
>>9234620
Organic food is not sprayed with glyphosate aka round up... Also tends to come from a more competent farmer. Best is to grow your own but local, fresh, organic, biodiverse, produce is pretty awesome.

Organic farmers actually give a fuck about you.
>>
File: IMG_1128.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1128.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>9234620
if you dont trust the label and the agencies that give the certification then it's pretty pointless to convince you

the only for you to be absolutely sure is to meet your farmers IRL or become one yourself
>>
>>9234620
Yes it's a meme. More often than not they just slam the seal on for sales because it's cool now. However there are organic farms and farmers out there that use natural pesticides and the like but it's been shown that organic farms are actually more harmful than your typical one because so much extra land is needed to produce the same amount as their non organic competitors, and that's if you ignore the fact that one of the most common organic pesticides is actually very toxic. (And before you ask me to post sources fucking stop lazing around and search em up yourselves)
>>
non organic food..... salt???
>>
>>9235042
Basically got the right idea

Heres some excerpts with sources from a paper I co-wrote. It's a politically neutral paper and observes GMO as a tool, not a boogieman. TLDR not anti or pro gmo.

>According to USDA standards for organic agriculture, seeds or other substances derived through GM technology are not allowed in organic production

Source: Kailey, B. (2015, October 17). What are GM crops? Journal - Advocate; Sterling, Colo. Retrieved from http://search.proquest.com.ezproxy.gvsu.edu/docview/1723094627?pq-origsite=summon

>A study on the compositional differences between GM soybeans, conventional soybeans and organic soybeans shows that residues of the chemical glyphosate are found to accumulate in GM soybeans, while non GM soybeans showed no evidence of the residues.

note: This implies that GM farmers are overusing pesticides since it wont harm plant growth.

Bohn, T., Cuhra, M., Traavik, T., Sanden, M., Fagan, J., & Primicerio, R. (2014). Compositional differences in soybeans on the market: Glyphosate accumulates in Roundup Ready GM soybeans. Food Chemistry, 153, 207–215. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2013.12.054

>Those who consumed organic produce consumed much less OP (organophosphate) pesticide than those who consumed GM produce. The exposure of the public to OPs is under the EPAs current risk threshold

It's not enough to cause harm in the short term. We will have to see what long term effects, if any, arise.

>apparently I fucked up my bibliography and this last one (should be Curl, 2015) isnt in there. Still got an A, which leads me to believe my prof was too lazy to check my sources.
>>
>>9235337
https://www.ecowatch.com/15-health-problems-linked-to-monsantos-roundup-1882002128.html

GMOs are banned in 98% of western Europe for a reason.
>>
>>9235349
Building off this last post, I googled the half life of glyphosate in water and it is 91 days. Assuming we adjust for how it's metabolized (no clue), stored(if at all), rate of excretion (it is present in urine but not sure any rates)
>>
>>9235373
Honestly, there are legitimate concerns about roundup (theres some class action lawsuits revving up here in US). However, when europe banned GMOs it was based on fearful ignorance (which isn't necessarily bad because GM developers have done a terrible job educating on their products which makes them look shady).
>>
>>9235373
You shouldn't be using the EU as an example of good policy.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIm1VxElM3E
>>
>>9235409
I agree...
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.