[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cooking Oil and Butter

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6

File: butterolive2-800x458.jpg (61KB, 800x458px) Image search: [Google]
butterolive2-800x458.jpg
61KB, 800x458px
Okay. This is serious, I swear. What is the healthiest oil or butter to cook with--and does it change depending on the cooking method?

I.e....

Regular generic butter
Grassfed butter
Ghee
Olive/coconut/avocado/grapeseed oil (some of which I've heard called a "meme" and actually are very unhealthy...?)

If possible I'd like your reasoning for whatever you think is the healthiest. Studies would be nice, too.
>>
I use the bare minimum of oil. I never use butter. What are you using the oil for? eating lots of fried food is unhealthy.
>>
Olive oil, coconut oil, sesame oil, and ghee. Can't go wrong with any of those, as far as health is concerned.
>>
>>9230500
Hm, I cook vegetables in a wok or a fry pan a lot without frying them, or just make stir-frys. It's kind of my thing but I understand that maybe this isn't a healthy way of cooking.

I was just thinking about butter and oil because I'm starting to buy into the whole "fat isn't the enemy" stuff and was wondering if it really is better off if I incorporate some into my cooking--especially when only fatless ingredients are involved.
>>
>>9230493
Saturated fat causes increased cholesterol levels and cardiovascular events owing to years of research on randomized control trials and especially old metabolic ward intervention studies where they literally take institutionalized people and forcibly changed the fat content of their diet and then did lab tests to measure the impact. The only way to try and counteract this is design observational studies on individuals that have genetically varied natural cholesterol setpoints to obscure correlation and also not measure blood levels until
https://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-saturated-fat-studies-set-up-to-fail/

So you want a fat with the lowest saturated:unsaturated ratio profile you can get, which immediately throws out butter and coconut oil (I'm bothered every time I see vegetarians and vegans cook with the stuff believing it's a healthy alternative).
https://nutritionfacts.org/video/does-coconut-oil-clog-arteries/

There are, however, 2 types of unsaturated fatty acids: Polyunsaturated and Monounsaturated. PUFAs are not very molecularly stable and tend to break down (go rancid) and oxidize when exposed to light or heat around 350°F or higher. So you ideally want a high smoke point oil that is not only low in saturated fat, but higher in mono- vs. poly- unsaturated fat. The best one available that fits these conditions is refined avocado oil which has an absurdly high smoke point of 500°F and is 72% Monounsaturated fat, 13% Poly-, and 12% Saturated. It's also has a neutral flavor adding to it's versatility.
https://www.centurylife.org/whats-the-healthiest-cooking-oil/

Of course >>9230500 is right that the less oil you cook with, the better from a health standpoint as it's empty calories and a highly dense vehicle for them at that (1g = 9cal/1tsp = 40cal more than equivalent amount of carbs or protein). However, it must be said that some flavors and spices are fat soluble so you will not get the same flavor result without having it.
>>
>>9230590
>and also not measure blood levels until
*most of the free fat in your system gets expelled through the gallbladder

Also each link has it's own list of reference studies. Avocado oil is expensive in the store, so you're best bet is to order it in bulk on places like Ebay if you plan to go that route.
>>
>>9230493
I dig evoo but quality stuff like cali brand in square bottles or kalamata organic stuff
Still admit the kirkland stuff is great just the same

Great organic coconut oil is also something i enjoy
>>
>>9230590
>>9230606
Goddamned, this is some intensive stuff. I still have some doubt, but I think I'm willing to believe that avocado oil is decent because I've read up on other studies about it. Actually ordered a spray of it for very cheap on sale...I hope it's not loaded with fillers because it seems like it'd be a great way of limiting intake while still adding in the benefits of cooking with oil.

What do you think about all the pro-butter/ghee studies, anyway? Do they all just have really poor experimental design or are sponsored by the industry?
>>
>>9230493
BOTH...the trick is it's both. If you only eat good butter and good olive oil you get both the best of saturated and unsaturated fats.
>>
>>9230590
shill stuides fuck off
>>
File: 1.jpg (25KB, 380x285px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
25KB, 380x285px
>>9230656
But what study isn't shilling?
>>
>>9230652
what the hell constitutes "good butter"
I wasnt aware they were sold in varieties of 80/20 like ground beef or anything like that
I'm very much aware margarine isnt real butter, so unless thats what you mean do you care to explain?
>>
Butter and hydrogenated vegetable oil like margarine are bad for you
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26655020
Olive oil is good
>>
>>9231404
well it's good as in if you ever have to use fat for your food then use Olive Oil, not good in aTRY TO EAT AS MUCH OF YOU CAN way
>>
>>9231352
I guess he means "industrially fed" butter vs. grass fed.
>>
>>9230493

This reminds me of the egg yolk healthy/unhealthy argument.

Just eat the eggs, you fucking faggot.
>>
Extra virgin olive oils to cook with
Smart balance butter for your butter needs

Done
>>
>>9231825
Olive oil gets too smokey and has too strong of a taste.
I prefer Canola
>>
>>9231856
I dont really fry anything so that doesnt matter to me. I only use oil for pastas and baking
>>
>>9231860
Then olive oil is the only choice
>>
avocado oil
do not fall for the coconut oil meme
>>
>>9231617
Not an argument
>>
>>9231462
i believe all dairy cows are grass fed
>>
>>9231825
Actually, smart balance butter has a lot of shit in it.

At least recommend good brands.
>>
>>9231880
you don't have to have an argument, but you have to eat these
>>
>>9230493
If you care about your health, use none. At best, it's nutrient-free calories. But it's actually a bit worse than that.
>>
>/fit/ likes coconut oil more than /ck/
Why is this?
>>
>>9233865
Dumb shits like paying for erectile dysfunction ... the true story of fitezens
>>
>>9230493
The healthiest cooking fat is animal fat like lard.
>>
>>9233361
>it's nutrient-free calories
Both butter and olive oil have nutrients.
>>
File: 20170718_120911.jpg (2MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
20170718_120911.jpg
2MB, 4160x2340px
>>9230493
Avocado oil is fairly healthy peanut oil is a great option for deep frying.
>>
File: dietary_omega_fig2.gif (145KB, 650x586px) Image search: [Google]
dietary_omega_fig2.gif
145KB, 650x586px
>>9230590
Having read this, I think charts like pic related help expand on it. Basically the same thing, but expands on omega 6 to omega 3 polyunsaturated fat ratios.

Keeping them similar is good practice, but everything we eat in the US is super high in n-6:n-3 which promotes inflammation and cardiovascular problems. Thus I think choosing oils that's are higher is in it is a good idea.

As much as I'd like to use flaxseed oil for cooking, it's smoke point is super low (like 225 F).

Thus I think canola oil is the best everyday cooking oil, avacado is the best frying oil, and flax oil is the best for anything not using heat.
>>
File: 1500978990788.jpg (437KB, 1508x1493px) Image search: [Google]
1500978990788.jpg
437KB, 1508x1493px
>>9230590
>https://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-saturated-fat-studies-set-up-to-fail/
>https://nutritionfacts.org/video/does-coconut-oil-clog-arteries/
>https://www.centurylife.org/whats-the-healthiest-cooking-oil/
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.