[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hot Sauce General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 6

File: wuss-pepper.png (233KB, 459x442px) Image search: [Google]
wuss-pepper.png
233KB, 459x442px
Soup /ck/? It's been over a month since I posted the last thread so I'm thinking that at least a few of you might have some batches finished or close to done. Anyone have anything to share?
I've started my 2nd batch ever and this time I'm using habaneros. We'll see how it goes...also hot sauce general
>pic related is the dragon breath chili @2.48 million Scoville heat units so don't ever try one
>>
>>9221184
I'm waiting for my habaneros to ripen. They're still too small. How did you do your habanero sauce? Last year I did my tabasco with a 4% brine for 1 month and I've been very pleased. I was goig to do the habanero with some garlic this year.
>>
File: batch-2.png (311KB, 328x574px) Image search: [Google]
batch-2.png
311KB, 328x574px
>>9221307
I'm trying a 6% brine with tomatoes. I'm going to let it go for a month and then blend and strain.
I still have to figure out how to get some better peppers here. I can't find anything other than jalapenos and habaneros and I've been to several stores and farmers markets. I'm not really in a place where I can grow stuff so maybe I'll try to order something online.
>>
>>9221344
>6% brine

Interesting. How did you decide on that high a %? Everything I've read about it seemed to indicate anything over 5 and you start risking not having the lactobacillus kickoff.
>>
>>9221434
Well, 2 reasons. Keep in mind that I just started doing this but I learned a bit from my first batch and the whole first thread I did.
In the last thread there was a guy who responded who was growing his own peppers (might be the guy who responded to this thread earlier idk). He stated that he was following a 5% brine recipe and he was having some success. He also stated that he wished that the guy who was making these threads a few years back was still around because he was experienced. Well, a few days later that guy actually showed up and started posting and he stated that he had switched his latest recipe to 6%.
Anyway, long story short I did my first batch at 6% with jalapenos and it actually turned out pretty good.
I got impatient because I'm retarded and decided to try it after 3 weeks but like I said pretty good. So I'm trying it with habaneros this time and I'll go a full 4 weeks.
>>
File: Untitled-1.png (37KB, 788x224px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.png
37KB, 788x224px
>>9221923
Actually, the first guy did say 4% my bad. But when the other guy posted it was pic related (6%).

Also, this should be the old thread if you want to take a glance: https://warosu.org/ck/thread/S9105055
>>
>>9221307
>>9221344
how do you measure your brines?
>>
>>9223838

With a kitchen scale. You weigh out the salt.
>>
File: chart.png (200KB, 439x428px) Image search: [Google]
chart.png
200KB, 439x428px
>>9223838
For me using a 6% brine recipe means 28g per 2 cups (pic related).
If you don't have a measuring method for grams then you are stuck with 1.92 tbsp per 2 cups.
So, you would level off 2 tbsp but try to eyeball the 2nd tbsp to make it .92 of a tbsp (lol)

32tbsp per 2 cups x .06 = 1.92

You're better off using a measuring method for grams (like the other person said a scale works).
This hot sauce stuff is probably not an exact science, but the closer you get in measurement the more likely you will be able to reproduce the result that you like.
>>
File: 1491833362302.jpg (362KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
1491833362302.jpg
362KB, 1080x1920px
Im starting to really like the spicy touch in my food, any quick rundown on how to make these? Looks really fun and seems like it has a lot of creativity potential adding spices and all that.
>>
>>9224420
So, I'll try do do quick for you. If you have a few min take a look at the link I posted above (4chan ck archive).

Basic fermenting means you chop peppers, veggies, etc. and put it in a jar with brine for about 4 weeks. Make sure all of the veggies are completely submerged so you reduce the risk of yeast/mold forming. After 4 weeks you can either drain the brine and blend or keep the brine and blend. I've never kept the brine but some people say it's good that way. After blending you probably want to bottle and chill for a day or two before use. You have another choice to make before you bottle which is to strain it or not. If you strain out the seeds and larger particles you will get a more traditional sauce. If you don't strain it has a consistency more like salsa. Just depends on what you like.

Like I said, read that ck archive link for much more detail. If you don't want to ferment here is a basic recipe: https://www.pepperscale.com/louisiana-hot-sauce-recipe/
That recipe uses vinegar where fermenting typically does not. I want to try that recipe but red chilis are kind of hard to come by where I am.
>>
>make your own hot sauce
This is what y'all want. Just buy it! It's already made! Now you can go do other things
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.