[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Pasta overrated?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 8

File: pasta.jpg (52KB, 584x455px) Image search: [Google]
pasta.jpg
52KB, 584x455px
I just find it kinda bleh. It's not that I don't like it, it's just that I really don't find it anything special. There's seemingly so many people, especially women, who are just fanatical about it though.

What am I missing?
>>
>>9214420
>What am I missing?

Sauce
>>
I'm a certified USDA pasta junkie and have been toying with a low carb diet for a few weeks. Kill me, OP, you faggot.
>>
>>9214420
make your own pasta to gain real appreciation for the beautiful noodle
>>
>>9214420
I wouldn't go as far as to call pasta a vessel for sauces, but even good quality pasta needs some sauce to reach its full potential. That, or some good cheese.
>>
it's just filler, meant to be a vessel for whatever nice sauce you've made to get into your mouth. Fresh pasta is usually nicer than dried though.

I don't know where you live but in many UK supermarkets you can get some really nice fresh tortellini/ravioli from the chilled sections
>>
Your sauces are probably shit, try stepping it up or dive into some new recipes

Spaghetti is pretty bland IMO, try some fettucine
>>
File: 1461714668890.png (16KB, 568x721px) Image search: [Google]
1461714668890.png
16KB, 568x721px
>>9214420
pasta is extremely pedestrian.

replace it with cauliflower rice to really boost your gameplay.
>>
>>9214420
>bleh
How are you saucing it? With stuff from a jar you bought at the supermarket? Then of course it's gonna be bleh. There are many delicious pasta dishes you can make, but if you're just eating convenience food versions of them none are gonna be all that good.
>>
>>9214420
The appeal is that it's refined wheat flour crabs that you put fatty/salty/sugary sauces all over and you pretend you're not eating unhealthily. Since when are fatty refined carbs not everybody's favorite food?
>>
>>9214616
What's your favorite food? Do you enjoy anything?
>>
>>9214420
You probably don't cook it correctly and use shitty sauces. Come eat a real piatto di spaghetti all'amatriciana in Italy and you'll never want anything else
>>
I am Italian. Kill yourself dumb faggot.
>>
>>9214630
Legit question? I'll pretend it was. I guess a nice steak with sautéed mushrooms or a roast chicken with whatever vegetables look good.
>>
>>9214450
this desu

it's super easy after you do it like once or twice but many people are impressed by it for some reason
>>
>>9214681
So what? Have anything to chip in with?
Fucking prick
>>
>>9214420
pasta is a great thing because you can make it yourself and you can make it how you want, such as pasta made from veggies. pasta is just as good as the sauce. if you have a good sauce and stir the pasta in the sauce for a bit it should come out good.
>>
It's a staple. Like rice, bread, rotis, potatoes or noodles. As far as staples go I'd put it above rice and potatoes and below bread and flatbread. However, well made bread or flatbread isn't accessible to all and Pasta is awesome for storage and convenience of making. Even homemade pasta is easier than a bread or naan. People have has so much bad bread, rice and potatoes that when you compare it to pasta, it makes the latter look like the king of staples. Think about it, minute rice vs wonderbread vs storebrand pasta what would you prefer? When made well all staples have the potential to be equally good but pasta is the one that most people will have a decent version of regularly.

I think there's another aspect to it too. Italy is fasionable. Italian food is fashionable. When people think rice they think poor Asians. When they think potatoes they think poor Irish and Germans. Flatbread, poor Indians and Middle-Easterners. Bread, poor white Americans. Pasta makes most people think of traditional middle class families or even runway models.
>>
>>9214425
gordon ramsay
>>
>>9214420

Europeans refined an East Asian staple. Arabs perfected rice. East Asians don't deviate far from accepted standards or practices, hence their cuisine and art suffer greatly. The whole "oldies but goodies" thing doesn't relate to them, 100% of their haute cuisine is inspired by other cultures. They copy so much that their largest industry is counterfeiting.
>>
My issue with pasta is that it's usually a delivery mechanism for garlic and sauce, and very little else.

Soba noodles get a pass though.
>>
File: 1490124239022.jpg (91KB, 480x589px) Image search: [Google]
1490124239022.jpg
91KB, 480x589px
>>9215687
>I'd put it above rice

You and I cannot be friends, sorry.
>>
>>9215713
>Arabs perfected rice.
lol no. The best example of middle eastern style rice is Indian. And there are more styles than the Arab style. I'd even say Spain did a better take on that style than any Arab dish. Though I would much rather have an Arab rice dish than the travesty that is a risotto.

>>9215753
I kind of took the statement back by the end. When done well all staples can be as good as each other. Rice's strength is in absorbing flavors and maintaining it's structural integrity.
>>
>>9214681
mama mia!
>>
File: yum.jpg (67KB, 625x411px) Image search: [Google]
yum.jpg
67KB, 625x411px
You're missing this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2P2amdXif8

You haven't lived.
>>
File: Shrimp Pasta.jpg (65KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
Shrimp Pasta.jpg
65KB, 600x400px
>>9214465
This guy knows what's up. Spaghetti is the basic bitch of pastas. You need fettucine, penne, or linguine at minimum.

I'll eat some marinara or bolognese every once in a while, but it's such a strong flavor that I don't want it very often. Wine sauces on the other hand, I could eat that shit four or five days a week,
>>
File: carbonara.jpg (438KB, 3000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
carbonara.jpg
438KB, 3000x2000px
YOU ARE NOT-A USE A THE PASTA WATER

SO SEEMPLE AND DELEEESHOOS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihB53eEwLbs
>>
>>9214594
There are plenty of good tomato sauces on the market, if you spend the extra dollar on the top brands and don't feel standing around stirring the Sunday gravy for an hour.

Pretty much all other sauces should be made by hand though, since they're simple and quick to make. Wine sauces are cake, alfredo is just butter, heavy cream, romano cheese, salt and pepper, maybe some nutmeg if you want to fancy it up.
>>
>>9214420
fuck pasta
>>
File: Potatoes-Au-Gratin-5.jpg (231KB, 1112x700px) Image search: [Google]
Potatoes-Au-Gratin-5.jpg
231KB, 1112x700px
>>9215687
Pasta over potatoes? Are you smoking crack? Potatoes are so fucking versatile. Boiled, roasted, fried (as either fries, chips, or hashbrowns), scalloped au gratin, in soups, even potato skins. I love me some pasta, but better than potatoes? Hells no.
>>
>>9215800
>The travesty that is a risotto
K dude, you've never had risotto alla milanese, with saffron. It's amazing
>>
>>9215687
>As far as staples go I'd put it above rice and potatoes

No.
>>
>>9214461
This is wrong. Good pasta made from good grains are tasty as fuck on their own. Americans that don't make their own frresh pasta only have sauce as the difference for their shit tier noodles. But really good pasta needs nothing and can be eaten on its own, or very lightly sauced.
>>
>>9216499
Risotto is a savory rice pudding. No matter how well you make it, that's what it ultimately will be. It's only considered good because it's an Italian rice dish. If it were an Indian or Chinese rice dish no one would even give it a second look.
>>
>>9214425
Made me laugh harder than it should have
>>
I love when I'm cooking pasta and I start tasting it every 55-60 seconds for doneness

it's so tasty

my mom taught me the water should taste like the ocean
>>
I'm thinking of adding anchovies to my marinara but I'm kind of nervous

I'll have to cook with the anchovies a couple times to feel them out first, I think
>>
>>9217317
Just a little bit, or get a tube of anchovy paste so you don't feel like you're going to waste the rest of the can or that you have to add the whole tin to not waste them.
>>
do you guys put salt in the water when you berl it ?
>>
>>9217355
An absolute fuck ton. To taste like the ocean, like another anon said.
>>
>>9217424
>To taste like the ocean

But why?
>>
>>9217355
Of course, pasta is bland and it needs to be seasoned while it cooks
>>
>>9217347
OK

by my marinara I actually mean my work's marinara

I work in a little pizzeria and I've gotten the sauce pretty good but I was reading about umami last night and I wonder if this is the next step to really kick the sauce up

I don't wanna fuck up a batch though and our anchovies are kind of expensive, but if I'm just using a piece or 2 per batch it might not be a big deal

I think the batch is about 4 gallons

I'm going to the store with the owner tomorrow and I'll see how much the paste is
>>
this thread is depressing if serious.
>>
>>9214681
Just have your mafia friends kill him
>>
For me its this

With victorias organic sauce from cotsco. The best dinner EVER
>>
>Ctrl + F
>puttanesca
>0 results

I am disappoint
>>
>>9218013
Barilla is actually middle-tier in Italy.
>>
>>9215713
Pasta didn't come from Asia, you fucking mong.
>>
It gives you a sugar high and makes you tired. Fuck pasta. It's a smug food.
>>
>>9218034
The only pasta dish worth considering desu
>>
>>9218334
Barilla's noodles hate gay people.
>>
>>9219314
Where do you think it came from, genius?
>>
>>9214420
You can twirl it up with a fork in public.
>>
>>9217119
>savory rice pudding
It tastes nothing like that, and texturally it is different as well.
>>9215800
>travesty that is risotto
Kys shit taste.
Risotto is way better than pasta.
>Rice's strength is in absorbing flavors and maintaining it's structural integrity.
This is also pasta's strength as well dipshit
What the fuck. You can actually make "broken spaghetti" which is basically a pasta form of risotto.

Rice does absorbs flavors more easily but you sound like a dumbass.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.