[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cooking With Only New World Ingredients

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6

A while back I realized that where I lived had no regional dishes to call our own, everything being sourced from some other culture. I've made it my goal to develop our own regional dish to help give us an actual food culture. To make it more authentically local I decided to limit myself to ingredients to the Americas, preferably the southwestern/southern part of the North America. This was a mistake because I just now realized how limiting new world ingredients are.

>Loose access to pretty much all spices leaving only Mexican oregano, California bay leaf, sage, vanilla, chocolate, and peppers
>Very few green veggies.
>Only have Mexican squash, chayote squash, amaranth and dandelion greens(good luck getting a hold of those), nopale, tomatillo, and green bell peppers
>Those last three are sour which limits their uses greatly
>EVERYTHING else is a starch (beans, squash, potatoes, rice)
>Turkey is the only readily available meat
>Lose access to most fruits
>Only get to keep berries and a couple others
>Cant use any grain that isn't corn, quinoa, or amaranth
>The only saving graces are the variety of nuts and the avocado and tomato
>Though tomatoes have been done to death by everybody

That at first glance may seem lie a reasonable amount of ingredients to work with but keep in mind I now cant use onions, garlic, butter, milk, nor celery and its stocks. Roux is right out. Most flavor bases are gone. I also wanted to avoid drifting too close to Mexican cuisine since I wanted something unique to my region. Is there anything I am missing? How should I go about this?
>>
>>9201453
I am monitoring this thread.
>>
>>9201453
you're also not allowed to use electricity or a car or money
>>
File: lead_960.jpg (156KB, 960x740px) Image search: [Google]
lead_960.jpg
156KB, 960x740px
>>9201453
You might be interested in The Sioux Chef.

He's an Arizona based chef who only uses organic seasonal ingredients. He's releasing a cook book soon. Only problem is that he claims he wants only Native American influences, but he plates like a parody of a French chef.
>>
You could try looking for wild onions and garlic.
I'm sure Native Americans ate lots of animals other than turkeys, like bison, deer, elk, maybe some seafood or freshwater fish.
Besides, they probably also ate plenty of wild herbs and stuff. Do some research on edible weeds which can be found in your area.
>>
Fruits: wild plum, persimmon, pawpaw, wild grapes, american cherry,
Nuts: acorn, walnut, hickory, pecan
Greens: lambsquarter, pokeweed, plantain, dockweed, and more
Roots: cattail, jerusalem artichoke
Seeds: sunflower and many others
Mushrooms: multiple varieties
Meats and fish: many, many more than turkey. Think about it for a second.
>>
File: nori-sushi.jpg (85KB, 1076x807px) Image search: [Google]
nori-sushi.jpg
85KB, 1076x807px
>>9201464
>you're also not allowed to use electricity or a car or money
I can't use money. Though that's less because I want to and more because I am broke as fuck.

>>9201487
>Only problem is that he claims he wants only Native American influences, but he plates like a parody of a French chef.
I'm somewhat sympathetic to that. At some point when the culture you are cooking with doesn't have a plating tradition, you have to make allowances and lift techniques from somewhere. I myself have heavily considered making allowances for ingredients which are either completely necessary to cooking like onions and garlic or for ingredients which have foreign origin but are very culturally significant to my region like citrus.

>>9201567
You are right. I should be giving more attention to acorns/nuts and meats, especially fish. I might have a hard time getting a hold of lambsquarter, pokeweed, and dockweed though

On a side note does anybody know if any of the seaweeds used in Japanese cooking grow naturally on the west coast of north america?
>>
>>9201453
OP seems a little nutty. You're overthinking everything.
Just research the diet of the native americans, which is very explicit, and not very nice, honestly. Done.

Here's a gross article:
https://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/traditional-diets/guts-and-grease-the-diet-of-native-americans/
>>
>>9201567
This. For meats other than turkey and fish you have:
Venison
Squirrel
Rabbit
Bison
Oppossum
Frog

Lot of variety there.
>>
>>9201453
But America has no culture, so of course they'd have no native cuisine.
>>
>>9201904
America has so much culture that it gets exported all over the world, to the point that it's seen as normal by almost everyone, to the point that it becomes virually invisible. You have Hollywood to thank for that.
>>
>>9201698
True but there is the problem of actually getting a hold of them, not that I am discounting them. Bison and venison are reasonably obtainable if a bit expensive but I can't think of anywhere that sells squirrel, rabbit, opossum, or frog.

>>9201904
Quite a bit of the american regions have strong cultures and food is no different. Texas and most of the eastern half of the union have various kinds of barbecue, Dixie has soul food with the deepest parts having their cajun tradition, New England typified a unique european/american cuisine that you can see in the classic Thanksgiving meal. Then there is Hawaiian food culture. Really its just where I live that's slouching in unique food culture.
>>
>>9201914
You mean american lack of culture gets exported.

I've been to america. I've seen what passes for 'culture' and 'cuisine' over there. Sausages on a stick coated in thin sugary batter. Sausages on rollers. 'Burgers' held together with skewers because some fucktard shoved too much in there. 'Cheeseburger chowder'. Meals so calorie-laden and fatty that anyone able to actually feel full has to skip meals to be able to finish the ones they do eat.
>>
>>9204929
In America, a "good meal" is a filling meal. No matter how shit the food, as long as it fills you up the rest of the meal is evaluated on other terms like how cleverly the identical-tasting garbage dishes are named compared to another equally shitty but extremely filling restaurant.
>>
>>9204929
>>9204945
o b s e s s e d
>>
File: 1482492675279.png (309KB, 388x447px) Image search: [Google]
1482492675279.png
309KB, 388x447px
>>9204929
>>
>>9204956
I'm American, you don't get to use that on me. Can't speak for the other guy, he implied he isn't but who knows. He could be a child of expats.
>>
File: 1492189404038.jpg (11KB, 184x184px) Image search: [Google]
1492189404038.jpg
11KB, 184x184px
>>9201453
Red Snapper is legit on the gulf coast, can confirm. I can also confirm that Greek octopus is better than Yucatan octopus...but it's still edible.
>>
>>9201904
>>9204929
>>9204945
>"I realized that where I lived had no regional dishes to call our own, everything being sourced from some other culture. I've made it my goal to develop our own regional dish to help give us an actual food culture"-(OP)

>"But America has no culture, so of course they'd have no native cuisine."-(You)

>"You mean american lack of culture gets exported."-(You)

Its like you missed the point of the thread completely. He's trying to build the culture you say is lacking. Also I don't think he ever mentioned the United States.
>>
>>9201698
and dog and guinnea pig
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.