[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best frozen steamed veggies

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

Hi /ck/,

I want to eat better and get more greens in my diet but I'm also lazy and don't like buying fresh produce since it usually goes to waste before I can consume it. So the best alternative seems to be frozen vegetables. What are your favorite frozen veggie brands and items. Is pic related a good choice?
>>
some is?

avoid the ones that are loaded with fats, salt, their own special seasoning, and "butter" toppings

avoid mixes in general, just buy straight up and look at the ingredient
>>
>>9197166
What this anon said. Frozen veggies can actually be more rich in nutrients compared to their "fresh" supermarket brethren because they are picked at the height of their ripeness. Just avoid mixes and don't ever buy anything with "sauce" on it.
>>
>>9197166
>>9197200
What's so bad about frozen veggies with sauces or seasoning? In the big picture aren't they still overall healthy?

What's a good way to season plain veggies? By the way I cook them in my microwave, if that makes a difference.
>>
>>9197208
Well for one they aren't as versatile to use since they are pretty much prepared for you, you lose nutrients if you cook vegetables in fats. I also find they become mushy when they are covered in frozen sauce "butter" or seasoning, probably has to do with the way the liquid thaws and soft boils the vegetables. If something is preseasoned it also harder to control the seasoning. You can always add seasoning to something for taste, you can't remove it.

I mean if you are just going to cook them in the microwave and can't cook at all outside that then yeah, doesn't sound like you'll be eating much outside of hot pockets and TV dinners so they are healthier in that aspect.
>>
>>9197119
Frozen broccoli and Brussels sprouts are cheap enough at Trader Joe's. I get them for when I run out of fresh stuff. But myrosinase enzyme will no longer present so you'll need to add some mustard powder if you want the full antioxidant benefit.
>>
>>9197119
my go to is frozen green beans or brussel sprouts, steamed, quickly sauteed w/ garlic and either olive oil or sesame oil
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.