[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Beginner cookbooks?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: 1446943396336.jpg (44KB, 640x633px) Image search: [Google]
1446943396336.jpg
44KB, 640x633px
Trying to figure out where exactly to start learning. Know the basic stuff already, but would appreciate some recommended starter books.
>>
File: food revoloution.jpg (13KB, 197x256px) Image search: [Google]
food revoloution.jpg
13KB, 197x256px
>>9160286
Yeah, I know the author is fag central, but this is a fantastic beginner cookbook.

Other good choices are:
-Joy of Cooking, especially the older editions (the modern ones cut a lot of stuff out)
-The Professional Chef. This is a textbook for the CIA (cooking school, not spies). The current edition is expensive but you can get used copies of earlier editions for pennies on the dollar. I paid $11 for my copy. It's incredibly good value for money and covers everything from food safety, budgeting, how to break down ingredients, knife technique, and it has a boatload of recipes.
-Jacques Pepin's La Methode and La Technique, or the later version "Complete Techniques".
>>
>>9160295
Thanks appreciate it. I already found that first one for like four bucks on abebooks. I've had some good time for reading and wanted to see where to start.
>>
>>9160286
New York Times 60-Minute Gourmet, by Pierre Franey.

Nothing too difficult, and it's nice for beginners because in the pre-recipe text he gives points on prep timing and flavor pairings. Each main recipe comes paired with a recommended side recipe (sometimes two) that compliment the main dish.
>>
>>9160332
Thanks a lot. I already saw that a good number of reviewers said the same thing as you did. Looks good appreciate it.
>>
Jacque pepins essential pepin.
And the micheal ruhlman How To books.
>>
>>9160358
Nice this goes into a lot. Thank you.
>>
Start with the Greeks
>>
SS + GOMAD
>>
File: 51lYyHZTBgL.jpg (57KB, 340x500px) Image search: [Google]
51lYyHZTBgL.jpg
57KB, 340x500px
>>9160286
Hazan is a master of simplicity and a joy to read. Also, her recipes often serve well as a springboard for something of your own design.
>>
>>9160401
This looks really good. I love Italian food. Thanks a lot.
>>
>>9160286
>>9160392
What is the Starting Strength for /ck/?
>>
>>9160401
"Italian" "food", no thanks. Italian food is like the lowest common denominator in the food world.
>>
>>9160718
Joy of Cooking
>>
Gino D'Campo - Pronto

Whole book of quick meals and honestly, his recipes tend to be real good
>>
>>9160295
>Joy of Cooking, especially the older editions (the modern ones cut a lot of stuff out)

Not quite
The original editions were written in a conversational tone and not quite the precise formula we have come to expect from cookbooks

A middling edition edited out all of the original author's anecdotes and reformatted it into a plain recipe book, with mixed opinions

Newer editions try to do both
>>
>>9161282
One issue with the older editions of any cookbook is that some of the ingredients are not quite what we'd expect nowadays, or partly rely on some level of assumed knowledge.

Some people may not think that when a recipe calls for milk, it almost never means skim milk. Or that if you are told to add butter, margerine will not give you the same results.
>>
>>9161282

You are correct that there was a change in tone of the books, but it's also certainly true that the latest editions cut things out. As one example, myy copy from the 60's has a lot of recipes for organ meats/offal. These are completely missing from the recent edition a friend of mine has.

>>9161767
I would think that it would be obvious that for any cookbook you use exactly what the recipe calls for whether that book is modern or otherwise.
Calls for milk? Use whole milk. If you were meant to use skim it will say so.
Likewise, if it calls for butter you use that. Not margarine, not any other butter substitute.

Even if you have a "modern" cookbook and it says "milk" you'd be a fool to think that means skim milk, almond milk, soy milk, etc.
>>
one of the things I really dislike about older editions of The Joy of Cooking is that the recipes are rarely laid out in any logical fashion.

Halfway through the recipe it might call for a sauce that wasn't mentioned earlier, and if you flip to the index and find the sauce you discover it takes three hours to make. Not very good unless you read the thing a day in advance and start your prep then.

The older editions of The Joy of Cooking were written for people who didn't have much else to do, not people who work full time jobs.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.