[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Brewing General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_0242.jpg (98KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0242.jpg
98KB, 480x640px
Who /homebrew/ here? Just bottled 5 gallons of saison, we'll see how it turns out in 2 weeks.
>>
Hope it turns out nice anon. I really like saison. You might have more luck with a conversation in diy though.
>>
>>9140809
I used to help my grandfather home brew a bit. I'm not 21, so I cant do any yet (legally), but I find it all really interesting.

Have a bump.
>>
>>9140809
No but I'd like to learn more about it, good luck
>>
>>9141218
What questions do you have anon, maybe I could help?

>>9141188
If you want to get your feet wet, you can try stuff like kvass. I don't think that's illegal for minors to brew, but you should double check. Or you could just pretend that you forgot about the loaf of rye bread you conveniently left in a jar of sugar water if the cops ever ask.

>>9140931
I'll go check it out ty.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (131KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
131KB, 1280x720px
>>9141698
I got pic related as a birthday present

I know the temperature is important especially early on but i don't have any where decent to set up, would it be okay in a shed even if it gets down to 7-8 degrees celsius at night
>>
>>9140809
Just about to hit hot break
>9142891
>>
File: california_hell_6.png (153KB, 934x932px) Image search: [Google]
california_hell_6.png
153KB, 934x932px
Gonna bottle a Bohemian dark and brew a hoppier version of a California Common tomorrow.

>>9140809
>we'll see how it turns out in 2 weeks.
Saison needs at least 3-4 weeks to turn really good after bottling from my experience.
>>
I gave up homebrewing. Everything always goes wrong for me whenever I have to siphon.
>>
File: IMG_20170708_1423568.jpg (3MB, 2704x4056px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170708_1423568.jpg
3MB, 2704x4056px
>>9142890
If you could rig up some sort of heating system, top fermenting yeast needs 17-20c to produce nice flavours. Maybe look at making lager ?
>>9142924
>>
>>9140809
It's been really hot in my house, so I made the "blandest" Saison my conscience would allow (basically German pale malt, just enough chocolate malt to make it blonde, recycled yeast from a British ale and a Belgian weiss - slowly brought up to temp, and just enough EKG to balance it out)

Racked off twice, bottle conditioned for six weeks (probably going to give it another 6).

It wound up being about 9%, ABV, about 1.5% over target. The malt, sweetness, bitterness, esters, and that bit of oomph from the chocolate are very well balanced, but the alcohol taste/burn is a bit sharper than I'd like it. I'm hoping that will mellow a bit.
>>
im brewing kombucha yo
>>
Does anyone know how to produce homemade yeast? I heard you just have to mix water with sugar, let it sit for a while and yest starts to duplicate as crazy. Is that is all there is to it?
>>
>>9140809
what shit do i need to get started?
>>
>>9143833
Yeast is an organism. You can't create it out of nothing.
However what you can do is take something which contains small amounts of yeast, provide it with water and sugar to grow and have it multiply until you have enough yeast for whatever you want to do.
One common way to get wine yeast for instance is to use raisins (yeast grows on grape's skin).
Another way to get some very good beer yeasts is to culture it from the sediments of bottle conditioned beer.

OTOH yeast starters aren't expensive so I don't know if it's really worth your effort. Esp. since you'll have less control over what yeast you'll get.
>>
>>9142979
fuck i thought that was some brick weed, got dang devils lettuce fucked my brain
>>
>>9143833
>>9143919
You can, potentially cultivate wild yeast this way, but good luck. You're far more likely to grow mold. I'd suggest hopping and acidulating your sugar water to deter lacto, mold, and whatever other nasties that might want to live in your starter.

If you do manage to start a yeast colony, you'll want to check it thoroughly. The chances of pulling pure saccharomyces are low. You'll probably have some Brett, Candida, or various other species that might cause souring, or serious yeast infections.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.