[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Roman Wine

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: roman-wine_2651127b.jpg (12KB, 255x197px) Image search: [Google]
roman-wine_2651127b.jpg
12KB, 255x197px
Okay so from what i understand the wine that Romans drank was pretty different from the wine that you buy at the store today.

Is there anywhere that I can buy wine that is made to be exactly like what the Romans drank? That is with the same kind of grapes, fermented naturally in the same way, and with the same amount of sediment and alcohol content etc?

This would be awesome, because I want to get drunk like a Roman and feel what that was like.
>>
>>9136769
There's some guy in France who does it as a hobby (his real job is making normal wine), but they're in fairly high demand and you basically have to show up at the vineyard, and even then there are no guarantees.

Also since this is a /ck/ wine thread may I remind you that all wine is the same, not even experts can tell it apart, and whatever you read about the ancient Romans is a conspiracy designed to make me feel uncultured.
>>
The Romans sweetened their wines with lead acetate.
>>
>>9136782
well I should have mentioned that I live in the US. How can I make this happen people I want to have a Roman orgy and everybody knows it's not a Roman orgy without real Roman wine
>>
No joke, but here's how:
Buy the shittiest wine you can find and puree some grapes with it then strain through a colander into a bowl, being sure at least some of the grape sediment makes it through.
Boil an equal measure of water with plenty of spices then strain that into the wine.Don't skimp on the cumin and coriander. Seriously.
Then drink it.
Oscans, the other Italic-speaking people in Italy at the time of the Romans (who spoke Oscan Latin, a cousin language to Roman Latin in the same way as Standard German is to Swiss German) drank their wine mulled with herbs. Vermouth is the closest thing available today to Oscan wine. As was common among most cultures of the time, Oscans also drank their wine watered down.

>>9136782
>french guy sells poorly filtered, watered down wine with curry powder in it as roman wine and people pay lots of money for it
I believe it.
>>
File: 16. roman wine.jpg (208KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
16. roman wine.jpg
208KB, 1600x1200px
>>9136809
Buy wine from TJ's, it's pretty contaminated if I'm not mistaken.
>>9136817
Pic related has sea water and fenugreek in it. Don't lie, you know you want a taste.
>>
>>9136782
>>9136769
I mean I'd expect it to be different, wine sends me the fuck to sleep but Romans had it in the morning to ready them for battle, so something must be the matter with it.
The conspiracy bit was pretty funny
>>
File: reee.png (95KB, 256x215px) Image search: [Google]
reee.png
95KB, 256x215px
>>9136769
>Roman??

You mean MOLDAVIAN wine
>>
>>9136769
>exactly
not happening, nearly 9 million generations of yeast evolution have occurred, a few hundred thousand of them after widespread environmental contamination of antimicrobials
>get drunk
apart from the Bacchus-cult which was mostly for women, drunkenness was discouraged and wine was served watered down (sometimes with seawater!) and then resweetened (non unusually with lead powder)

rome was pretty shitty even if you were at the top, it was widely considered to be rich goatfucker land on a par with saudi arabia or america even in the west and of course it was abject misery caste-for-caste compared to china
>>
>>9137033
>wine was served watered down (sometimes with seawater!) and then resweetened
sounds like a major fucking headache
>>
>>9137053
really it's true for most "the ancients must have been blotto 24/7" stories. the greeks drank their wine watered down, or really drank their water with a dash of grape-derived sanitizer. the romans did the same with worse water and added honey at best, lead at worst. the history of beer for mass consumption is mostly sub-1% abv versions, with a kick equivalent to a bottle of Reed's, brewed repeatedly from the grain slop left over a first batch comparable to a porter or stout now - and even those varieties done traditionally are calorie bombs for workers with all the intoxication potential of coors light.

east asia was more likely to offer things uncut, since early access to tea meant other sources of palatable purified water and alcohol taking its modern role as a recreational drug earlier, but that meant the average coolie got none as opposed to the west where it needed to be shared watered down or all the peasants would die of cholera.
>>
>>9136769
just build a time machine you mong
>>
>>9136769
Don't forget to store it in a Lead lined decanter for added authentic flavor
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.