[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I bought 3 cast iron pans, how should I proceed?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6

File: 20141106-cast-iron-myth-1.jpg (277KB, 1500x1125px) Image search: [Google]
20141106-cast-iron-myth-1.jpg
277KB, 1500x1125px
I bought 3 cast iron pans, how should I proceed?
>>
>>9131741
Acquire steak.
>>
Proceed immediately to the dump and sell them as scrap metal.
>>
>>9131741

Describe these pans.

Diameter and depth, please.
>>
File: 614rBZoFQHL._SL1500_.jpg (121KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
614rBZoFQHL._SL1500_.jpg
121KB, 1500x1500px
>>9131755
O 16 cm, O 20 cm, O 26 cm, dunno how deep I haven't arrived home yet to check the depth.
>>
>>9131741
Make some quesadillas.
>>
>>9131767

About as deep as the ones in your pic? They look good for deep frying.

So, what now.

Modern pans come with factory seasoning. It's usually not good. So you have two choices. Use oven cleaner and remove it all and reseason from scratch or build up seasoning on top, which is more sensible. But be wary, if you heat up your pan very very fast (top setting from the start on induction for example) the factory seasoning may flake off.

Regardless, you should season it first, you wanna get some flaxseed oil and rub it on and then rub it off, then bake the pan with the residual oil that is surely still there. As hot as your oven goes for about an hour and then let it cool by itself. A glossy, hard finish should be visible. Stickiness is due to the oven not being hot enough or too much oil.

Search the potato peel seasoning online, some people swear by it, I'm not one though.
>>
>>9131741
You can make a fine burger.
>>
>>9131782
Thanks thats what I am looking for, my oven goes to 250 degrees celsius would that ve enough?
>>
>>9131804
why are you deep frying in the oven, bro
>>
>>9131741
Best for poaching eggs, also make sure to put it trough the dishwasher after every use or it will get dirty
>>
File: joetroll2.jpg (25KB, 452x294px) Image search: [Google]
joetroll2.jpg
25KB, 452x294px
>>9131804

Yes. I believe that is hot enough.

Put the pans upside down when you place them in the oven for seasoning.

This does not need to be done constantly. Using your pan will add to the seasoning.

You wash them with hot water and rubbing it with a cloth.

If something sticks very hard that can't be rubbed off, boil water in the pan for a while, then take a cloth and a bit of salt and use the salt to make the cloth more abrasive to run the stuck on gunk off.

>>9131818
Pic related.
>>
File: 1286135485899.jpg (11KB, 297x275px) Image search: [Google]
1286135485899.jpg
11KB, 297x275px
>>9131818
>cast iron
>dish washer
>>
>>9131862
having fed the troll, he is satisfied and no longer hungry
>>
>>9131741
Buy sea salt for cleaning (or any other fuck huge salt crystals)
Pour in oil and bake for around 2 hours at 250f if they didnt come pre seasoned.
Buy a steak.
Cook it and eat it
Make a dutch baby tomorrow for breakfast
>>
>>9131741
You've already made a great second step by posting about them on /ck/.

Now all you need to do is make sure they're seasoned. Season them some more. Have a bit of a discussion about seasoning. Then throw them in a cupboard and forget about them.
>>
>>9132122

Someone's suffering from buyer's remorse...

But this anon has a point.

Do not buy things you don't need, much less won't use.

You got three different sizes, which is cool, but you have to make use of them, if not what's the point?

I'd mostly use that 26 one for baking pizza for example, or a huge cut of meat. Bread and reasonable cuts in the 20cm one and my own individual dishes in the smallest one, or just for searing meats for stews.

Myself, I have two of the smaller ones that I use for serving on the table.
>>
>>9131741
Why'd you buy them if you don't know how you'll use them?
>>
Trade them in for ceramic coat cast iron. It's the RPG upgrade.
>>
File: 20170620_163559~2.jpg (154KB, 775x895px) Image search: [Google]
20170620_163559~2.jpg
154KB, 775x895px
>>9131741
Fried shicken nigga
>>
>>9132271
Is ceramic the same as enamled? I always hear these called enamaled cast iron.
>>
>>9132306

Yes, it's synonymous. It browns better, cleans better, stores better and you don't have to worry about your pH level in your food. Take cast iron on a camping trip. Use Enameled for real cooking. BTW don't put raw tomato in a cast iron pan or you'll taste iron ions.
>>
>>9132306
Same thing.
>>
>>9132322
>>it browns better
Nonsense
>>cleans better, stores better
How is it any different than a normal iron pan? You rinse it out and put it away when you're done.

>>you don't have to worry about your pH level in your food.
True.

But IMHO there's a big con: you can't get enamel-coated iron to the same kind of crazy-high temp that you can get bare iron to, or the coating will start to crack and flake off. If you want to do things like blackening (the correct way) you need bare iron or steel.
>>
>>9132339

You're just an asshole that hasn't browned anything in ceramic dishes. That's how you make fucking soup and cook mirepoix for christ sake. Iron is a give away metal, it surrenders ions to the food. Ceramic doesn't yeild heat, it reflects it back to the food, that's why it burns so easily.

Why am I talking about this.
>>
Do any of you assholes know why the space shuttles didn't turn into molten metal? It's because they were coated with ceramic heat shields.
>>
>>9132350
I own several enameled iron dishes, including a dutch oven I use 2-3 times a week.

You can cook soup or mirepoix in any vessel.

>>Ceramic doesn't yeild heat, it reflects it back to the food
Which makes no fucking sense given that the heat is coming from the hob, not from the food. There's no heat to reflect "back in" to the food because the heat never came from the food in the first place, it came from the range.

Oh, and speaking of reflection, that reminds me: bare iron is much better for baking or roasting because the black color absorbs more heat from the oven than an enameled pan would.

I think enameled cookware is great, and it has many uses in the kitchen. But some of those specific points you made earlier are outright wrong.
>>
>>9132355
>>9132350

This is the reason flat bottom, stovetop dutch ovens are enameled. God I love soup in it.

An outdoors one will have those little legs and will be bare.

>>9132362

Acidity is also a factor, anon. You can't deglaze with much but stock in bare.

Oh, and the enamel comes in black as well, not just the faggy pastels.
>>
>>9132355
What does a highly porous, specially engineered, and very thick insulating tile for spacecraft have to do with the very thin, generic, and non-porous coating on cookware?
>>
>>9132372

One uses the thermal properties observed in the other to more extreme applications.

The application of ceramic materials in manipulating or controlling heat is widespread, ancient and diverse.
>>
>>9132372

It has the same characteristics of an earth elemental? Have you don't cooked with this shit? It gets hot and stays hot. Have any of you been in front of a stove? You will never get a better sear than a ceramic pan. Stainless being a close second that grabs the meat.
>>
>>9132382

Sorry I'm mixing articles, while you guys try to figure this shit out.
>>
So you put olive oil on a hot pan, then onion, then carrot, then celery. You're making a stock for ramen. What do you add after this browns?
>>
>>9132380
>One uses the thermal properties observed in the other to more extreme applications.

But that's not true at all. The ceramic lining of an enameled pan is an excellent conductor of heat. The ceramic matrix of a space shuttle tile is an exceptionally poor one.

The ceramic coating on an enameled pan has nothing to do with controlling or manipulating heat. It's purpose is only to encapsulate the iron, preventing rusting and metallic tastes with acidic food. It simply takes the place of seasoning. That's it. No "heat control" involved.
>>
>>9131741
sell them at the next flea market
>>
>>9132382
A bare iron pan is superior to an enamled pan for searing because it lacks the ceramic layer. Ceramic is a worse conductor of heat than iron is. Using a bare pan rather than a ceramic pan removes that insulating layer.

Also, of all the cookware I own my Demeyere 5-star pan (stainless with a very thick aluminum core) sears better than my bare iron pan (lodge), which in turn sears better than my Le Crueset enameled pan.

But I will note that my Le Crueset pan is fairly new, and I have heard that their recent production is much thinner iron than the stuff that made them famous decades ago.
>>
>>9132411

What's the thermal transfer coefficient from iron to ceramic? There's a massive barrier there.
>>
>>9132418
That only applies to convection, which doesn't exist here. This is a matter of conduction. The only factors at work are area, delta T, and the thermal conductivity of each material.

But since the ceramic layer is so thin it's pretty much negligible.

As I said above, the only point of a ceramic coating on cookware is to seal off the iron so it doesn't rust or react with food. Nothing more.
>>
>>9132425

There's a boundry layer between each particular material. The binding, the actual transfer of brownian motion between layers. There's no speciality in this shitty cookware.
>>
>>9132428
>There's a boundry layer between each particular material

No fluid = no boundary layer.
>>
>>9132448
It's to ceramic, there's just as much a boundry layer as there is from P doped Semiconductor to N doped. This is a molecular connection ffs.
>>
>>9132448
>No fluid = no boundary layer.

i guarantee you there is an adhesive
>>
>>9132457

Boundry layer refers to fluid flow. It means the portion of the fluid next to the wall in a pipe, for example. Or the air right next to an airplane wing. There is no moving fluid between the CI pan and the ceramic layer. No fluid = no boundary layer.

The heat flow is simply delta T and the thermal conductivity of the materials involved. Since the ceramic layer is of such minuscule thickness compared to the iron we can ignore it as negligible.
>>
>>9132461

Actually there's not. You can watch youtube videos on how this is made. The bare iron is cleaned, then dipped in a mixture of water, powdered glass, and coloring. Then it's baked. The water is driven off, the glass heats up enough to melt and then it flows onto the metal. There is no adhesive.

...and even if there were an adhesive, it wouldn't be a fluid after the pan was made. It would be solid.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.