[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cooking beans out of a bag

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 4499485.jpg (70KB, 720x405px) Image search: [Google]
4499485.jpg
70KB, 720x405px
Hey /ck/, when it comes to using beans out of a bag in a recipe that calls for canned beans, do I boil them according to the bag and then follow the recipe, or do I just soak them and then they're good to go? What about lentils? Pic related, I wanna try roasting some garbanzo beans. Looks easy enough and I like peanuts so I'm hoping it works.
>>
>>9128548
Simmer them until fully cooked then follow the recipe. Soaked beans are still hard and gritty if you try to eat them without proper cooking. Same goes for lentils, although lentils only take around 30 minutes to cook whereas other beans take 1-2 hours.
>>
>>9128568
Thanks, that's what I figured but I wasn't sure.
>>
>>9128580
No problem. Roasted garbanzo beans are really good by the way, as long as they're cooked properly. Don't rush it because if they aren't roasted properly they'll end up kind of hard and dry but if you do it right they have a nice crunch. If you know of any Indian grocery stores, they'll usually sell similar crunchy chickpea snacks that you can try.
>>
>>9128662
Any advice? I'm looking at allrecipes and I see one calling to mix oil, salt, garlic salt, and cayenne and cook at 450 for 30-40 minutes. One of the comments recommended dry roasting them instead and seasoning them afterwards saying that roasting them in oil may make them go soft after a little while.

I see another recipe calling for them to be roasted at 350 for 30 minutes instead. It's a bit more complicated though and I don't have everything for it right now.
>>
>>9128692
Unfortunately I only made them once and just bought them after that. When I made them, half came out good and the other half were hard and they were starting to get a bit too dark, so the 450F recipes are probably too high of a temperature.

http://altonbrown.com/crunchy-chickpea-recipe/

This one seems good, and most of his recipes are usually good too. It says to do it at 350F for 30 minutes then turn the oven off and leave them for an hour. Sounds like it would make them crispy without burning.

Also some of the comments say that the chickpeas were way too hard after baking, but it seems like they were using dry chickpeas that had been soaked but not simmered in water until fully cooked before baking. The recipe calls for canned beans but just remember to simmer your chickpeas until fully cooked if you're using dry ones.
>>
>>9128730
Okay, thanks.

A comment on the one suggesting 450 said that 350 wasn't enough, and a comment on the one saying 350 said that 30 minutes isn't enough. Leaving them in the oven another hour seems like a decent middle ground.

I'll definitely try his. It looks very basic and at the very least if it's not good hopefully I'll have a better idea for next time.
>>
>>9128755
Yeah usually when I roast stuff at 350F it doesn't start getting properly browned and crispy for at least 40 minutes. The extra hour with the oven off seemed like it would help dry them out and crisp them up a bit more. Good luck with it, hope it works out well.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.