[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Have any of you used a charcoal grill as a smoker? Was it worth it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

Have any of you used a charcoal grill as a smoker?

Was it worth it?
>>
>>9112372
I use my vintage Weber to smoke on exclusively. I had an offset smoker previously. I just don't have the room for both. I think an actual smoker does deliver a better experience because of the heat being not as close to the meat. I however feel with a little patience and understanding it is sufficient. I am more than satisfied with the product my grill produces from an indirect set up.
>>
>>9112372
>worth it

Do you like slow smoked meats? Then yes. You need to have the coals on one side and the meat on the other so it's indirect. Also keeping the temp around 225F can be tricky. Need to keep intake vents partially closed.

The main drawback other than temp control is only being able to do a relatively small quantity of meat instead of loading the smoker with a couple slabs of ribs, a shoulder and a couple of chickens.
>>
i have a kingsford water smoker, i've used it to smoke brisket, ribs, tritip, and pork shoulder and it all turns out amazing. a lot of people say the water keeps it moist but in reality its just a heatsink so i replaced it with sand. it can convert back to a normal charcoal grill if you raise the pan up.
>>
>>9112372
>>9112443
>>9112514
What these guys said op. I did ribs a couple times using lump mesquite charcoal as opposed to briquettes. I arrange them in a snake around the middle with a foil dish of water in the middle. Ribs go on rack above dish bone side down. If you start at about 8 in the morning you should have a great rack by lunch. Temp control and patience is key. Don't open the lid etc. Poke a thermometer through a hole on the outside to take temp if you don't have a built in one.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.