[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Starting completely from scratch

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

Alright /ck/, this is the deal.

I came from a pretty shitty home life and never got the opportunity to learn how to cook or even handle myself around the kitchen. I don't want to miss out on learning an important life skill and I want to start making nice food for myself, but I don't have anything to even start with in terms of equipment.

What kind of pots/pans/knives should a first timer buy? I've got a gas stove with an oven, a microwave, etc - standard appliances. I'm looking to cook simple meat-heavy meals that are good for beginners. Is there any special shit I should consider so I don't start forming bad habits straight off? I want to do this right.
>>
>>9105155
Chef's knife, 8" or larger.
knife sharpener
Cutting board
Frying pan or skillet, 12"
Small saucepan with lid
Large saucepan with lid
Spatula
Wooden/plastic cooking spoon
Measuring cups

That should get you set for basic cooking.

>> so I don't start forming bad habits straight off?
Be careful with the internet. On the one hand you can learn a lot of great stuff from legit top-tier chefs and cooks: Gordon Ramsay, Jacques Pepin, Good Eats, etc. On the other hand, the internet is also filled with misinformation and means-well-but-is-actually-shitty advice/recipes. Use caution online.

I'd suggest getting a beginner oriented cookbook and sticking with that for a while. Pic related is fantastic. I actually hate the author, but this is honestly a fantastic beginner cookbook. I've bought many copies of it over the years to give as gifts.
>>
>>9105155
Stainless steel saute pan and sauce pan + a Dutch oven.

That should basically be all you need to get going and try out recipes that are simple and nutritious.

Congrats on the gas stove, I'm almost jealous.
>>
>>9105166
Sweet pic bro.
>>
File: food revoloution.jpg (13KB, 197x256px) Image search: [Google]
food revoloution.jpg
13KB, 197x256px
>>9105200
Yeah, I forgot it like a retard.
Here we go.

Julia Child is great. I have that exact same book. But I don't think it's that good for a beginner since many of the recipes are labor intensive and it lacks photographs.

Pic related is nice for several reasons:
1) every recipe has a full set of step-by-step photos.
2) it's simple enough for beginners, yet at the same time it's not dumbed down to a ridiculous level.
>>
>>9105155
Start simple and just buy things as you see the need for them.

>what do I want to cook?
>what will I need to cook this?
>do I want to spend more on something that might make it easier to cook or clean up?

If you're looking for cheap stuff with decent durability, look at restaurant supply stores. If you're unsure about specific materials or are getting poor results, ask specific questions. Use your search engine and put more faith in reputable websites, cookbooks are best. Sometimes forums are good, but they do tend to be more prone to error than something that has gained publication. Look further into stuff, don't just take one person's or one book's word on it. Find out why they say what they say if you don't understand and especially if it seems counter intuitive.
>>
>>9105166

Knife steel, not sharpener. Hone every time you use your knife but you should only be sharpening a couple of times a year, if that, and your local key/shoe cobbler guy will usually do it free if you have a working relationship with him.
>>
>>9105166
>>9105169
>>9105223
Thanks anons. I'm gonna see about downloading that book and getting some basic stuff.

I'm planning on buying shit off amazon. Is there any popular brands that I should avoid like the plague or actually trust?
>>
>>9105235
I meant "sharpener" in the sense of "a device that makes your knife sharper" because I specifically want to avoid overloading a newbie with knifefag BS.

>>Hone every time you use your knife but you should only be sharpening a couple of times a year

Yes. But since honing is a subset of sharpening the point remains unchanged.
>>
>>9105236
>I'm planning on buying shit off amazon. Is there any popular brands that I should avoid like the plague or actually trust?

Yes, but the ones I know are expensive. You probably don't want them as a noob.

Best advice I can offer is to go to restaurant supply store and shop there. That way you know exactly what you're getting and you aren't paying for some silly packaging or a celeb chef's name on the box.

If you insist on shopping online, follow these basic rules:
-No sets. Sets give you silly sizes you don't need. Buy what you need as you need it.
-No plastic anywhere on the cookware. Metal, glass, ceramic is OK. No plastic.
-Pots and pans should be thick and heavy. Thin pans heat unevenly and warp on you. You don't want that.
>>
>>9105274
Cool. I was thinking of picking up a set, but I'll go for looking through that recipe book and seeing what I'll actually need to make what I want first.
>>
>>9105269
Not him but honing is not sharpening. Creating an edge and maintaining an edge are two completely different thing in the eyes of a cook.
>>
>>9105307
>Creating an edge and maintaining an edge are two completely different thing in the eyes of a cook.

Why would they be different things when both of them involve using an abrasive to remove metal from the blade resulting it it being sharper?

I know that a lot of knifefags desperately want them to be two seperate things but that doesn't make any logical sense at all.

Use a fine abrasive to maintain your edge.
Use a coarse one if the blade is damaged, is severely dull, or you want to reshape it for some reason. Why this should get two different words for the same basic process is mind-boggling.
>>
>>9105326
>same argument, same over simplifications
Ever used a smooth steel? Strop?
>>
File: 1475520199689.jpg (113KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1475520199689.jpg
113KB, 500x500px
>>9105155
I would highly recommend an enamelled dutch oven (le creuset or lodge depending on budget) for someone in your position, you can make so many delicious slow cooked meals in it and use it for a huge array of other purposes as well.

You can bake bread make stock, soup, roast and create gravy from the fond, investing in equipment now means you can save money on food in the long run because you can use cheap cuts of meat which you can turn in to something incredible after slow cooking.

Aside from that, get yourself a good skillet, 1 large + 1 small saucepan, a whisk, spatulas/spoons, a good knife (8" is the best all rounder and I recommend wusthof/victorinox ignore the weeaboos) and a wooden chopping board. Further down the line you could consider a food processor which are useful for many recipes.

Special shit you should consider, don't fall for the non-stick meme stainless is superior for everything but eggs, if you learn to use it correctly and non stick will need replacing frequently. Browning meat = flavour, don't overcrowd a pan and let it stew do batches. Wine and butter are amazing flavour enhancers which are underutilised in amateur kitchens, finishing dishes with butter or adding wine to a sauce can bring your food to another level. Starting on the stove and finishing in the oven is great and don't forget to use the juices in the pan to start off a sauce.
>>
>>9105155

-Never buy anything with teflon on it. it is only even remotely good for making eggs, and even then, only if you are retarded.
-Don't stress too hard about knives for now, even shitty knives can cut things fine.
-my favorite piece of cookware when I was beginner was an enameled cast iron skillet, they are super versatile, I used it for everything from my standard frying pan to pan for making quiches in.
>>
A chefs knife
A cutting board
A frying pan
A moderately sized soup pot

That's it. Start there. Maybe a baking sheet if you want. Buy more as you get better and need it. That's how I started out and still do things.
>>
>>9105307
Honing removes a non-zero amount of material, and using a steel isn't honing either.
>>
File: racist_cookbook.png (96KB, 466x805px) Image search: [Google]
racist_cookbook.png
96KB, 466x805px
>>
Pressure cookers are good to have for cooking beans and grains. Try the "pan in pot" method for not burning stuff. Don't put the gasket in a dishwasher.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.