[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Making hot sauce/hot sauce general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 190
Thread images: 41

File: Good.png (70KB, 200x400px) Image search: [Google]
Good.png
70KB, 200x400px
Afternoon /ck/. I'm interested in making my own hot sauce so I wanted to hear about any recipes you might have tried and how they turned out. Any tips? I'd like to start with something very simple and I have a few things I'm wondering about that I'll make separate posts for. Also, I suppose hot sauce general.
>>
File: scorpion peppers.jpg (71KB, 570x428px) Image search: [Google]
scorpion peppers.jpg
71KB, 570x428px
>>9105055
So I want to start with a simple recipe and this is what I'm thinking:

Ingredients
1 pound trinidad scorpion peppers
2 cups distilled white vinegar
1 tablespoon salt or to taste

Instructions
Cut the ends off the chilies, but do not remove the seeds.
Over high heat, add the chilies, vinegar, and salt into a large pot and bring the vinegar to a simmer.
Lower to medium heat and continue simmering for 5 minutes or until the chilies are soft.
Transfer the mix to a blender and blend until the mix is smooth. There will still be seeds.
Strain the sauce into a container and let it settle to room temperature.

For optimal taste, refrigerate for a week or two prior to use.

>I like that Dave's scorpion sauce so I wanted to go for something like that. Any thoughts on the recipe?
>>
>>9105055
I like this vid, it was a fun watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGjCeAbWKPo

If you search bon appetit hot sauce they have a ton of recipes too. Doesn't have to be fermented
>>
>>9105055
1 part vinegar
1 part pepper
1/6 part salt

grow your own peppers and make your own vinegar
>>
Also, where do people get their peppers? I've never seen much in stores around here other than jalapeno and habanero. I know I could order seeds and grow them but I've also seen some sites where you can order fresh peppers (not dried) online by the pound.
>>
>>9105071
Great vid. A bit more fancy than what I wanted to start off with but looks delicious (maybe not the "table brine").

>>9105076
Make your own vinegar? In terms of hot sauce is there any reason for that? Also, do you people filter after blending or not?
>>
>>9105130
fresh made vinegar has a distinct taste, feel free to use something from a bottle to start though

also, yes filter
>>
>>9105069
Last year based on a thread here I fermented my peppers for hot sauce and I liked it a lot better than the vinegar based that I always did before like you're suggesting. Use a 4% brine (4g salt/100g water) and cover. Let ferment for 2 weeks to 1 month keeping the peppers submerged. Then blend (strain if you'd like). If storing in refrigerator you don't even need vinegar. If you want to store on shelf add some vinegar at about half the amount of your recipe.
>>
>>9105198
That actually sound like a great idea to me. I think I'll give that a try. Thanks for the tip.
>>
File: 20170508_103955.jpg (821KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20170508_103955.jpg
821KB, 2048x1152px
>>9105213
I think you'll like it better. About a year ago there was a guy heavily into fermenting that was posting threads every couple weeks. I don't know what happened to him and it's a real shame because he knew what he was talking about. I may have to pick up his mantle because this year I've done a couple batches of fermented cucumber pickles that beat the hell out of the vinegar brine style and a batch of sauerkraut. I've got habenero, jalapeno and tabasco plants that I'm waiting on to do more hot sauce.
>>
>>9105278
Oh you've got plants? Nice. Are they outside? Do you live in a warm area?

I'm assuming the fermenting basically creates the acetic acid that you find in vinegar but maybe there's more going on in that process that makes it good?
>>
>>9105278
Also, if you feel like sharing the pickle recipe that would be cool.
>>
File: hot-ones-hot-sauce-2.jpg (307KB, 750x579px) Image search: [Google]
hot-ones-hot-sauce-2.jpg
307KB, 750x579px
Recently got some of this since I'm a fan of the show, it's pretty good actually. It's been my go to sauce lately
>>
>>9105278
> About a year ago there was a guy heavily into fermenting that was posting threads every couple weeks. I don't know what happened to him and it's a real shame because he knew what he was talking about.
What if we aren't hearing anything from him anymore because botulism or some other opportunistic infection in his fermented pickles killed him.
>>
>>9105576
>The tongue tingling flavors of chipotle, pineapple and lime please the palate while the mix of ghost and habanero peppers make this sauce a scorcher.

Sounds pretty good. Might check the show out.
>>
>>9105576
if I saw that sauce at the grocery store I would definitely pick it up, but to order it online seems very overpriced
>>
>>9105302
Yeah I'm lucky in that I can have a big garden in an area where I have 3 growing seasons, but peppers only grow during the summer.

>ascetic acid

It's actually lactic acid but bumps the ph high and rapidly enough that it prevents the bad guys from getting a foothold.
>>
File: 20170618_135814.jpg (609KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20170618_135814.jpg
609KB, 2048x1152px
>>9105318
>fermented cucumber recipe

Sure. Cut off the blossom end of the cucumber, pack into whatever size jar you want with a couple oak leaves (the tannins help keep them crisp). I add mustard seed, peppercorns and garlic but you can add whatever you want. Make a 4% brine, computed by adding 4g kosher, pickling or sea salt to 100g filtered water. Fill jar and wedge cucumbers so they are submerged. Let ferment at room temp for 1 week. It will turn cloudy, that's normal. Store in refrigerator.
>>
>>9105576
Oh wait I have seen that show. At least the challenge/interview ones. I just didn't know what it was called. Good stuff.

>>9105743
Oh, OK well I'll have to read up on it a bit but I'll definitely give it a try.
>>
>>9105776
Cool. Thx man
>>
>>9105731
Yeah, I'm definitely more of a flavor over heat kind of guy and it combines the best of both worlds in my opinion
>>
>>9105587
>What if we aren't hearing anything from him anymore because botulism or some other opportunistic infection in his fermented pickles killed him.

I doubt it. There's a lot of people going back to this kind of thing. Why don't we hear about people dying from homemade sauerkraut or kimchi? Because it doesn't happen. Pay attention to your measurements and sanitation and you'll have no worries.

https://www.makesauerkraut.com/fermented-pickles/

http://www.seriouseats.com/amp/recipes/2016/12/homemade-fermented-sauerkraut-recipe.html

http://www.wellpreserved.ca/fermented-hot-peppers-and-fermented-hot-sauce-recipe/
>>
>>9105576
after watching this i bought maddog 357 for me and my friends to try because the mega death was all sold out. turns out the maddog is really good if u mix a drop into some marinara or ketchup. it adds a great smokey flavor
>>
>>9105055
I want to get some half barrels to start fermenting peppers for hot sauce and then aging the sauce. I have some concepts jotted down, but I live in a place that's too hot to hold that kind of stuff in barrels with great result. I'm sure it can be done, I just haven't gotten to the point of being willing to risk the failure yet.
>>
>>9105902
Fermenting and then also aging?? boom mind blown
Something rang a bell here is Tabasco produced like that? Or what was your inspiration?
>>
>>9106094
I just like the flavor of fermented hot sauces, and I like the melded flavor of aged sauces done a certain way. For instance, I think most hot sauces are too vinegary. Aging would tame the vinegar harshness and maintain the acidity. It also allows for the opportunity of doing something like fermented garlic and poblano aged with bourbon and charred mesquite.
>>
>>9105576
It costs $33 to ship one 4oz bottle internationally, No Thanks!
>>
>>9105069
That'll probably give you something very similar to a Louisiana-style hot sauce like Tabasco or Crystal, except a lot hotter. You could probably upgrade it by adding other ingredients like onions, carrots, and lime, like Marie Sharp's.
>>
>>9105278
>>9105198
I was on those threads alot last year. I've done 5 different hot sauces as well as fermented red onion pickles and just finished my jarred batch of sauerkraut a week ago.I have ideas for a few more hot sauces I want to make as well as giving kimchi a try too.
>>
>>9105055
i once took my hand blender to a bowl filled with 30 scotch bonnets, i may aswell have pepper sprayed myself in the face tbph.
>>
>>9107581
Hahahaha

Fuck
>>
Being basic, I just buy serrano peps, ginger and some chunky salsa and then puree. Serrano brings the heat, ginger provides a weird kick, and the salsa is the base...you pay for it the next day, but damn....minimalism tastes great. And you don't have to go through all the chef bullshit "pre-heat oven to 375 and broast serranos for 7 minutes, then flip and add one part vinegar, one part"...STFU man...life should be easy. Don't make things hard.
>>
>>9107467
That is some kike shit right there. How the fuck is that legal
>>
Has anyone had any success making hot sauce with regular green jalapeƱos?
>>
>>9105198
That was probably my thread and things I've learned since then.

>6% brine
>ferment with tomatoes

I did a recent batch without tomatoes and it was disgusting comparatively.
>>
>>9105587
>>9105278
>that was me I think
I stopped posting because my 5 gallon batch got fucked up, i got depressed, almost failed out of gradschool, and then had to deal with finals and a roadtrip across country.

Now i'm on the rebound. Growing some pepper and tomato plants. Gonna probably start brewing spruce beer and hotsauce again in a few weeks. Just need to go pick up my equipment, which i'll be doing either this weekend or next.
>>
File: 20170117_113325.jpg (884KB, 918x1632px) Image search: [Google]
20170117_113325.jpg
884KB, 918x1632px
>>9109878
>>9109922
Yeah it's pretty decent. The one on the far right is jalapenos with tomatoes. And if you're fermenting I highly recomend adding some high quality tomatoes. I'm still looking into the science for this, but they add a lot in the fermentation process.

My leading theory is that the added sugar from the tomatoes helps jumpstart fermentation a lot, making different/better strains of lactobacillus bacteria take over.

And i will be bored as fuck and lonely for the next ~7-8 weeks so i'm going to be monitoring these threads like a hawk now. And posting pics once i find some hotpeppers at the farmers market.
>>
>>9109922
Like chopped, fresh tomatoes? Peeled or what?
>>
File: 20170106_180118.jpg (920KB, 918x1632px) Image search: [Google]
20170106_180118.jpg
920KB, 918x1632px
>>9110023
Fresh and chopped. I was using wacky heirloom varieties usually. I've thought about using canned tomatoes before, I might try it at some point. Maybe this weekend if I can get my jars and scales and shit tomorrow night.

And for reference my current method is

>cheese cloth bag
>chopped up peppers and tomatoes
>put in the bag
>put in a jar large enough to submerge it
>make some wacky contraption submerge it like a smaller jar
>wait till it stops bubbling/at least a month

Recommendation, use a jar with a lot more space than you have fermentables. This allows for a lot more room for brine, so when you puree it all, you get a real nice liquid. And don't worry about it reducing the spiceyness a lot, all that salt makes that shit a a lot spicier. And then some xantham gum to thicken it if you're so inclined.
>>
>>9110071
Ah, ok. I was asking because I always thought the tomato skin gave it a somewhat bitter taste.
So, you are actually putting the brine in the blender along with the peppers? Most recipes I've seen actually drain it or save it for other uses.
>>
>>9110114
Maybe my tastebuds are complete shit and i don't taste the bitterness. Also too lazy to skin tomatoes. The skin is also where the bacteria is.

And those recipes are making more extracts I find. They also take out all the pulp too. And I just value quantity over sheer spicyness. And I personally think the brine takes on a really nice almost vinegary quality to it.
>>
>>9105055
I want to make a mild sauce that emulates the flavor of paprika. I know paprika is just a blend of peppers, but I'm not exactly sure which ones to use to get the flavor right. Which peppers should I use, or is there a bland sauce I can make and just add a shit load of paprika spice to it?
>>
>>9110071
Just curious, what's your favorite so far, pepper anon?
>>
>>9110311
This super spicy yellow pepper. Women at the farmers market said they were like the 7th or 9th spiciest pepper in the world. Forget whatever name she used for them, and can't for the life of me figure out what they were.

Probably some weird underripe variety or something. And they were grown in central NY so that probably fucks with their color too.

>just thinking about the smell makes me hard.
And they're only my favorite because they created my best match ever. Similarly, Habaneros my worst. Like I would literally give my habanero shit away for free to randos on the internet I hate it that much. And it isn't even that bad, i just hate it for what it isn't.

[spoiler]I know spoilers don't work on /ck/,
but any VT co/ck/s want some hot sauce?[/spoiler]
>>
>>9110311
>>9110370
I realize my other post turned into incoherent rambling, but local = better in my book. When I bought bulk or from the supermarket i didn't like the outcome nearly as much. Maybe i just fucked up the batches, but there could easily be something that happens to them during shipping (irradiation is common) that fucks up the fermentation process.

And my taste buds are pretty fucked from guzzling IPAs, sours, and all this hot sauce. So i may know how to make it, i just can't really rate it on a very fine scale. Just the broad strokes
>>
what is /ck/'s opinion on Louisiana Hot sauce?
I had always skipped over it due to it's low price. I finally picked up a bottle and was pleasantly surprised. Definitely my new favorite from the low-end tier.
>>
>>9110573
I have the Pain is Good Louisiana Style hot sauce, and my opinion is that it goes good on chicken wings and that's basically it. Wouldn't dip breaded, grilled, or baked chicken in it. Wouldn't put it on red meats or anything else, really. Only fried chicken wings, and even though it's tasty then, the lack of versatility makes it a bad sauce in my eyes.
>>
>>9110573
It's purpose built.

Tabasco and Crystal and Louisiana Hot Sauce have a style of heat that matches our cuisine down here. It isn't to be overtly hot, and it shouldn't be flavorless.

It's delicious though. I personally know the owners of both Crystal and Tabasco. Honest folk.
>>
I know this is primarily a make-your-own hot sauce thread, but is homemade hot sauce actually better than store bought, or is this more of a hobbyist thing where you guys are trying to experiment, have a little fun, and maybe stumble upon something delicious?

I'm much too lazy (and poor) to spend time and money experimenting until i find the perfect flavor, but if homemade sauces are generally just better I'll give it a go.

For now though, what are some of your go-to branded hot sauces?
I cannot get enough of CaJohns Bourbon Chipotle. Stuff goes great on any meat, and it's got an eveloping warmth kind of heat, as opposed to the sting-you kind (that's just personal preference).

I haven't found a really hot-hot one that I find truly flavorful yet though. For really hot heat I've been sticking to spices because all the hot sauces i've found just don't do it.
>>
Nobody else here into harissa?
>>
>>9111549
I started this thread because I'm interested in trying to answer that very question. The first recipe I posted that I said I was going to try was a vinegar based sauce similar to Louisiana hot sauce. My idea was, maybe I could take a standard recipe and by virtue of having ingredients fresh from a farmers market I might be able to come up with something that actually tastes better than the store stuff.
However, I've been completely sidetracked at this point and I intend to go the fermenting route to see what happens. I'm off to the market now to see what kind of peppers I can find. I'll also pick up a few tomatoes and give the 6% brine a try.
Also, I have the large mason jars so I'll do 3 or 4 of them and when they're ready (stop bubbling) I'll try to blend one with the brine included and one with the brine drained to see what the difference is. I don't plan on adding anything else because I'd like to start understanding what this process is exactly so I'm starting simple.
>>
>>9110370
Come on someone give it a try and report back!
>>
>>9112111
My suspicion is that store-bought is just as good as home-made. This is because my local farmer's market has these people called the Mac Brothers and they originally did not have a website and such for their hot sauce and considering they were at a farmer's market they were clearly using fresh ingredients. Now they have a website and they had one of their sauces featured in some monthly subscription box. It's pretty good stuff, but not my favorite. I suspect with the exception of the huge names like Sriracha and Tobasco that most hot sauces really are already made with fresh ingredients and the only non-fresh aspect is that they use vinegar for preservation's sake which probably makes it a little less tasty.
>>
File: chiles.jpg (402KB, 1200x842px) Image search: [Google]
chiles.jpg
402KB, 1200x842px
Inspired by this thread, made about a liter of hot sauce today. But obviously not with the brining method. Turned out pretty mild but delicious, something you can slather on anything. More habanero this time.

Ultimately I ended up using regular red chiles (middle, don't know the exact species, but has a really rubbery and tough skin which I didn't like), habaneros (top left), red jalopenos, rawits (bottom left), plus a table spoon of cayenne powder and some naga jolokia extract.
>>
File: saus.jpg (123KB, 417x1200px) Image search: [Google]
saus.jpg
123KB, 417x1200px
>>9112198
Oh and bottom right was dried, smoked chipotles.

I also used 7 small-medium ripe tomatoes, 2 white onions, 1 red delicious apple, 150ml apple cider vinegar, salt and 3 cloves of garlic. Bretty gud.

End result (1 bottle out of 2).
>>
>>9112112
No one will : (

And we don't even have to meet in the middle of the woods for a trade off! Could easily be at a bar. I'd be the guy with a watermelon hawaiin shirt on
>>
File: 1.png (1MB, 999x895px) Image search: [Google]
1.png
1MB, 999x895px
Well that was a bust! I went to 2 farmers markets and even a grocery story out of desperation and couldn't find any red peppers at all. Just serrano, habanero, and jalapenos. So I just got a pound of jalapenos from the farmers market and 2 decent sized tomatoes. So pic related is that stuff in a roughly 6% brine (about 1 tbsp per cup). Obviously I'll be "burping" these every day until they stop bubbling. We'll see what happens...
>>
>>9112908
By the way - was I supposed to blend this up first or do that last?
>>
>>9112198
That's quite an assortment. Where do you get your peppers?
>>
Also, I meant to ask. Are red jalapenos just overripe green ones?
>>
>>9112920
Yes.
>>
>>9112908
>>9112914

I tried blending before hand, not as good in my opinion. But that could have just been due to a bad batch

And make sure to keep all that stuff submerged. One easy method i've used is a cabbage leave that you jam in there and try to tuck along the edge of the jar, and then use a smaller jar, or wege a cork between the lid and the leaf. Just something to prevent stuff from touching the surface, which is the main reason for mold.

I recomend the smaller jar/cup method though; then just drape a shirt/cloth over it and rubber band it on to help keep stuff out because in this situation you won't have a lid. But that also means you won't be burping it!
>>
>>9112996
OK yeah makes sense. Thx!
>>
>>9113014
To explain further, because I realize I didn't, mold is aerobic and needs something to grow on. It won't just grow on salt water. So by having everything beneath the surface, or as much as possible, the chances of mold are greatly reduced. And to continue that, you can actually scrape off the mold growing on the surface of the water if you're feeling really confident.
>>
>>9113106
Yeah, I think what I might end up doing is going to a grocery store or maybe even a hardware store to find some glass or ceramic object that I can fit through the openings of the jars. I won't be able to look until tomorrow, so hopefully one day won't ruin it.
>>
>>9113150
Actually, another idea I had was to just turn the jars over every day. Like tomorrow rest them lid-side down so no single surface is exposed for too long.
>>
>>9113150
>>9113215
I recommend the former idea by a mile. I did the whole puree and stir every day method, and it's really time consuming, and can still be easily contaminated for months.

Being able to just ignore it for the next month (not entirely, you still want the occasional check up) is my go to option, and i've tried a bunch of different methods. Also if any kahm yeast or mold does appear, you're still able to scoop it off, maybe add a dash of vinegar, and keep going.
>>
>>9113106
And unless you're really really unlucky, a day or even two won't do anything
>>
>>9113673
OK I'll head to the store tomorrow and try to find a way to keep everything submerged
>>
le bump
>>
Bump again. Currently in eastern MA if anyone wants some free hot sauce. As long as you don't mind driving in this hellish traffic
>>
So the brine is turning just a little bit (barely noticeable) cloudy and there is some white stuff at the bottom that at first I thought was salt, but it's kinda floaty. Hoping that sounds normal...
>>
File: hot-pepper-sauce-mold-260x300.jpg (31KB, 260x300px) Image search: [Google]
hot-pepper-sauce-mold-260x300.jpg
31KB, 260x300px
Also, I was reading a thing by some guy who does a few batches every year and he talked about mold
>pic related
And this is what he said:
>Stir twice a day to submerge the solids and to prevent mold from forming on the surface of the ferment. If it does (see pic), stir it in and stir more frequently. The mold is harmless, but can impart a flavor I find distasteful. So, keep stirring.

0_o
>>
Also, I read that some people reuse their brine or add some of it to a new batch to kick-start the fermenting process. They say it can take weeks off the time.
>>
>>9117532
That's just due to the salt you used probably, nothing to worry about.
>>9117557
>having to stir twice a day every day
>having a strong mold flavor in your hot sauce.
I know people that so this and they're dancing with food poisoning. And as he admits, doesn't taste as good. Also the white stuff could be kahm yeast, but it's hard to tell from that pic.
>>9117597
Yep this is doable and I've done it. And tomatoes, or any anything with a higher sugar content than mold can help kickstart it too. Sauerkraut and pickles can start fermenting in a day with the right temp.

But word of warning, this will also change the outcome. Through the fermentation process there are different bacterias active. The changing acidity is a big reason for that, so you might be skipping some nice flavor enhancing bacteria.
>>
>>9117652
Makes sense about reusing the brine might end up skipping part of the process/getting a different result. The only thing I was thinking was like those bakeries who have kept some starter dough around for 100 years to provide consistency. If you have a particularly successful batch of hot sauce maybe keep some of the brine to do it again - but your comment makes sense and hot sauce and bread is apples and oranges...
Man, I can't wait to taste this stuff. Already thinking of what to use it on.
>>
>>9118126
Yeah that comparison makes sense on the surface, but then one fermentation lasts days and the other is weeks if not months.

I bet you could add some brine half way through to get some of it? I'll do some experiments with this but I probably won't have any results until like late decemeber. Maybe earlier if I can find some nice greenhouse peppers.
>>
File: vargkraft.jpg (24KB, 195x259px) Image search: [Google]
vargkraft.jpg
24KB, 195x259px
>>9105055

>drowning all foods with spice and hot sauce
>ruining the subtle flavors of meat and other vegetables

This is not /ck/
>>
>>9119454
>disrespecting my hotsauces by eating it with complex foods
At this point I just dab it on my finger and eat it, or have it with sinple beans and rice/crackers and cheese
>>
>>9119805
mmm tell me what else you do with that finger
>>
>>9111557
I've got some really good harissa in my fridge from the local Pakistani place
>>
File: IMG_1920.jpg (1MB, 3009x3210px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1920.jpg
1MB, 3009x3210px
Just got started on some!
>>
>>9120242
Nice. What's the deal with the pepper in the lower left corner?
>>
>>9112908
Just opened the jars to check it out and wow does that stuff smell good. Can't believe I have to wait like 3 more weeks.
Soaking some glass taco bell fire sauce bottles to get the labels off in preparation.
>>
>>9120470
Looks like habaneros taken out of the freezer.
>>
>>9105055
>making a general
Fuck off you culture killing autist
>>
File: IMG_1921.jpg (1MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1921.jpg
1MB, 4032x3024px
>>9120470
>>9120505

Yeah, I live in berlin and peppers are pretty rare here. Luckily asian stores have them in the freezer section. The other peppers my mom imported when she visited from California.

Anyone here try making hot sauce with alcohol?
>>
>>9120554
Not me, but a friend of mine makes ghost pepper tinctures, meant for mixing in drinks and sauces and stuff. He gets 180+ proof alcohol and soaks ghost peppers in them for at least a year. A few drops will definitely add a kick to a bloody mary or something like that. He's been trying to see if he can get away with soaking them for less time as he's not sure if a year is the minimum or optimal amount of time to soak the peppers.
>>
File: IMG_1859.jpg (172KB, 700x1024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1859.jpg
172KB, 700x1024px
>>9120583
Good lord that sounds gnarley. Might have to try that.
>>
>>9105055
Scotch Bonnets/Habaneros are like cheating for hot sauce - it's actually difficult to fuck up hab sauce, aside from making it too hot/mild.

I literally blend up a bunch of habaneros/bonnets, occasionally with some other peppers (like 50/50 with scorpions, reapers, jolokia, or even green thais), some salt, maybe a bit of garlic/shallot/scallion, and some acid - citrus or vinegar, usually lime juice or cane vinegar, possibly a bit of cornstarch if I'm making a milder/more acidic batch.

It will be hottest right away, but most flavourful after about a month. You can expect some natural fermentation on a more pepper-heavy batch, but the acid will keep the nasty critters at bay.
>>
>>9120528
Start by punctuation you little shit. You ever think there's a general just to have a thread that is themed and not shitpost central.

If you actually read the thread you'll find posts where people are experimenting with different recipes. Imagine that, people actually inspired to make their own hot sauce from our cooking board.
>>
>>9120709
Hey. Where generally do you live?
>>
I'm new to hot sauces in general. I've had a lot of ulcers as a kid (lots of meds) so I thought spicy stuff would fuck me up.
Relatively recently I found out that bell peppers give me heartburn and can ruin a whole evening, but for some reason regular spicy stuff and other peppers (at least, the ones I tried so far) are perfectly fine for some reason.
The spiciest I've gone so far is a thai dish from a local restaurant, and jalapeno snacks, so I'm pretty low on the scale, sub 10k. I really love chipotle tabasco too, it's not really spicy, but I find it super tasty.
Anyway, I am currently growing some peppers, since they really aren't sold around here except some very generic ones. I'd also like to eventually make my own sauce, and pickle my own stuff. Is there an easy way to get that smoked flavor like in the chipotle sauce? I live in an apartment, so I can't really set up a smoker. My uncle has one though, do I need a specific kind of pepper to be able to smoke it with good results?
Also, any info for a newbie to pickling is more than welcome.
>>
>>9121248
If there any details that are hazy just ask, I can fill in the wholes.
>>
>>9121950
Is my math bad or is that almost a 13% brine?
>>
>2017
>not bumping your own thread
>shiggy diggy
>>
>>9121950
Cheers mate.
>>
>>9123192
>>9123586
Yeah that guy is right, I definitely meant 1 tablespoon.

6-7% brine is good for peppers because they mold a lot more easily than other plants.

And doing this will leave you at about 5% brine, since you aren't taking into account the peppers already in the jar. I might actually do a bit more than a table spoon actually, or rub the peppers with salt before hand or something.
>>
>>9123549
>2017
>needing to bump your own thread
and i just hijacked this thread.
>>
>>9123603
>tfw when i am now bumping the thread

Couldn't find any hot peppers at the farmers market, but I did pick up a few more plants.

Two czech black to go with my hot thai plant.

Also grabbed some tomatoes, chopped them and added salt. Making some sort of ketchup or tomato sauce or something.
>>
So my stuff is really bubbling now. Almost like soda
>>
>>9125001
That's a good sign. Should slow down in a bit! Post some picture!
>>
File: 7-days-in.png (1MB, 999x861px) Image search: [Google]
7-days-in.png
1MB, 999x861px
>>9125027
Unfortunately you can't tell from the pic, but when I open the lids it starts fizzing like crazy.
>>
I'm craving some mango habanero wings. I have some mangos, but they are not ripe at all. How shit would my sauce be if I used them as is?
>>
File: Pepper 8.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
Pepper 8.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>9109950
>>9105278
i fuckin member
>pic related, one of like 50 I have
please come back
>>
>>9126474
>my apple something hot sauce
Was pretty decent. And I plan to stay here now. Anything you want to see from me?

>>9125589
>have some mango habeneroe hotsauce
I fermented the habeneroes then cut it with mangoes after it was stable, added some vinegar to stop the bacteria from doing its thing, and xanthsm gum to thicken it so it was sweeter.

But as for unripe ones, if you like the flavor it's fine. Should act similarly to when I add tomatoes or apples. Although when I added the apples it had a more yeasty fermentation than bacteria
>>
File: Pepper 3.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
Pepper 3.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>9126522
do berries work for hot sauces or is it more just tree fruits? was considering a rasp+pom habanero
>I saved more than I'm willing to admit
>>
>>9126608
Please post them, my phone got ruined and I lost them all.

And I've learned almost anything will work, but wait for the peppers to start fermenting then add the berries. I feel it creates more complex flavors. Or after like I did with the mangoes
>>
>in b4 doesn't want to sacrifice heat for flavor, or flavor for heat
kek
>>
>>9126661
>having to
Why would you? Like I can't imagine a reason...
>>
File: Pepper 2.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
Pepper 2.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>9126631
ok, will dump
>>
File: Pepper 5.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
Pepper 5.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>9126685
>>
>>9126685
>flashbacks to my previous apartment
one of my roomates was a filthy filthy little jewish gremlin.

>>9126694
And for anyone wondering, this is an example of me rubbing everything down with salt to extract some of the liquid. It as two purposes, letting me fit more solids in the jar (shit shrinks when you remove liquids), and also means you have to add less salt brine, because it's creating its' own.
>>
File: Pepper 4.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
Pepper 4.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>9126694
sorry for out of order
>>
File: Pepper 6.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
Pepper 6.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>9126723
>>
File: Pepper 1.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px)
Pepper 1.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>9126730
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-10-14-14-22-43.png (337KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-10-14-14-22-43.png
337KB, 1440x2560px
sorry for break, made dinner.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-10-14-14-23-03.png (413KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-10-14-14-23-03.png
413KB, 1440x2560px
tell me the differences between what you said then and what you would say now with more experiences
>>
File: Pepper Pic 2.png (526KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Pepper Pic 2.png
526KB, 1440x2560px
>>
File: Pepper Pic 1.png (562KB, 1440x2560px)
Pepper Pic 1.png
562KB, 1440x2560px
heres the ingredient list for that hot sauce
>>
File: Pepper Pic 3.png (488KB, 1440x2560px)
Pepper Pic 3.png
488KB, 1440x2560px
>>
File: Pepper Pic 4.png (500KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Pepper Pic 4.png
500KB, 1440x2560px
not sure how many more I have on phone
>>
>>9126832
There are two different things that you could be talking about so I guess i'll talk about both.

The first is, in the apple ferment, you could taste some alcohol in it. So the wild yeasts on the apple really took over the ferment, and it didn't taste as vinegary as my other hotsauces. Some might like that. I didn't hate it, but I prefer that other taste.

And the keeping submerged part, it is just so much easier with cheese cloth. Everything is self-contained. And the cork method, although decent, I had a lot of messed up ferments doing that. Could have just been my shit old apartment I was living in that was probably mold infested, or the corks itself. Also easier to fix if any mold appears, although I just toss it if that happens, because the flavour is probably fucked.

And I really appreciate seeing all this. I was worried no one really appreciated what I was posting last year. I think that's a big reason I stopped posting.
>>
>>9126917
I bought like 12 different mason jars ranging from 1L to 8L just to try and start, but I realised I needed/wanted more info to not fuck up, so I just spent a year pairing raw peppers to fruits and seeing what I liked flavor wise.
>>
>>9112720
Do you live in NYC?
>>
>>9126938
How'd that go for you? Any more info/opinion would be great since I can't really do much pepperwise until mid summer.
>>9126941
No but I do have a friend there I might visit this summer.

I'm currently stationed up in vermont at an internship. If you're a beer nerd like me I'm near hill farmstead brewing

Will be heading back to gradschool in central NY in the fall.
>>
>>9126951
I think that the issue is people look too much at spicy vs the actual flavor of the pepper and fuck up a lot before they even start.
habanero goes real well with sweet tart stuff, jalapeƱo goes better with acidic (looking at orange slice like you did with apple, other citruses as well like grapefruit) and is pretty much mandatory to have garlic with it, but I've seen people pour sugary stuff with jalapeƱos and poblanos, people killing scotch bonnet with bbq-like flavors, and people not realising how flavorful the ghost pepper is and just say "fuck it, need more spicy just add a ghost".
>>
>>9126972
That's some great insight. Last year I was largely just dicking around and caring leas about flavors, and more about just learning processes and how it all worked. Gonna do that still this year, but gonna do more flavor pairing. I hope you stick around so I can get your opinions on that stuff. Or really any anon that knows about that stuff. I'm really just learned in the ways of seafood which isn't that helpful
>>
>>9126980
if you cut off the first quarter inch of the tip, chew the part that's now opened up. it's one of the least spicy parts and has a lot of the flavor there up to the half way point. the (oil from the) seeds and the white part (ribs) is where the most heat is. you can experiment with that knowledge, peppers are stupid cheap from a grocer, so there's no reason to hold off. I'll be around and looking for the hot sauce threads.
>>
>>9127013
They only have habeneroes and jalapeƱos up here sadly, and I feel like the bacteria on them is all fucked. But I guess if I pair them with local tomatoes it should work out. I'll probably end up doing that. But I'll really go balls deep once local peppers come into season
>>
>>9126917
>cheese cloth
How do you clean it between uses? Boil it for a couple of minutes?
>>
Just FYI - in not sure exactly how that 4 chan archive stores threads (maybe by date created) but I went and searched "hot sauce" and found this thread pretty easily. So if anyone wants to see the info posted here after the thread gets pruned it should be easy enough.
>>
I'm growing a moruga scorpion plant at the moment, just the one as a first foray into growing as I've failed to have any plant live in the past due to laziness.
Am I liable to have anywhere near enough yield from a single plant to be able to make sauce?
>>
File: los-coralls.png (67KB, 300x300px)
los-coralls.png
67KB, 300x300px
Anyone have this stuff where they live? It's pretty terrific. There is no vinegar so I'm not sure what's in it all together. It says "red pepper" and "spices" so whatever that means. Anyway, it's supposed to be served warmed up.
>>
>>9127162
That'd definitely work. I usually just run it through the washing machine. But i'm lazy as fuck about everything I do.
>>
I enjoy Franks Red Hot Buffalo sauce on occasion when I don't feel like searching for a good brand.

Does this make me a pleb?
>>
>>9128690
For one of the mass produced ones, they're one of the better ones I think. Or at least from looking at their ingredients list they've got simplicity on their side.
>>
>>9128690
>>9128698
That stuff is good, but it's definitely one of those nostalgic things from growing up in the ghetto.
Just jokes, I actually like it too.
>>
>>9111557
>>
>>9111557
made some yesterday. W/ rose petals+water, chervil, anise as specials + bunch of shit I forgot. Made with basis of roasted red peppers and 1 bell pepper but turned out too spicy for my taste, very rich range of flavors tho
>>
>>9128834
Where are you from? What is your background in terms of food?
I'm asking because that just sounds so odd.
>>
>>9111557
I love it personally. really not sure how authentic my recipe is though. I use all dried peppers re-hydrated as the base.

>>9129838
>sounds odd

>>9128834
were bell peppers the only peppers you used? by roasted red pepper did you mean anything besides a red bell pepper?
>>
>>9130040
>implying it doesn't sound odd
>>
>>9107467
what country?
>>
>>9130140
the next quote meant that i agreed with you.

Sorry, I'm from the unapologetic al/ck/ thread
>>
>>9130213
Oh. OK. Well, I don't mind odd stuff I just like maybe a bit of context.
I mean, c'mon...rose petals or whatever? If you do that there must be a reason?
>>
>>9126972
What sort of flavors would pair well with Thai birds' eye chilis? Made my first hot sauce by fermenting them in brine with a few cloves of garlic for two weeks, and then adding some rice vinegar, fish and ginger before blending the lot and fridging it. It's nice, but it's not mind-blowing. Kind of musky-tasting, maybe from the kahm yeast that just wouldn't quit. I was thinking of experimenting with dried chilis, lemongrass, and lime juice in the next few batches.
>>
>>9130843
if I told you pepper, lemongrass, garlic, onion, and whatever else exists in worcester sauce, would you thank me later?
>>
>>9131618 (me)
>>9127013(me)
>>9126972 (me)
>>9126938 (me)
>>9126685 (me)
should I tripfag and frequent these threads as an authority?
>>
Equal parts Sriracha and Frank's Red Hot sauce mixed together is quite delicious.

Probably pleb as fuck, but whatever.
>>
>>9130161
Any besides USA and Canada.
They're out of stock now.

http://heatonist.com/hot-ones-hot-sauce/
>>
>>9131628
No, just let your knowledge be enough. Being a tripfag is just one step closer to turning this into a trashy general. And this is coming from the guy you took all the screencaps of.

Or should we both tripfag and turn this into just a full on trashtier hotsuace/fermentation general?

And an aside, these are my tomatoes after 2 days of fermenting. Once it settles down after a week or two probably i'm gonna taste it. It is literally just salt and tomatoes so this will show me what they really add flavor wise, besides kickstarting the fermenting.
>>
>>9131661
>accidentally posted a picture of my whole instagram and not just the tomatoes
I hope no one saw that D=
>>
>>9129838
Dutch, would've probably been nicer if I used less higher quality ingredients, but kinda tasty. Used it yesterday in moroccan tangine w/ lamb, was great.

>>9130040
Shitload of homegrown red chili peppers. We use pepper/peper for all spicy peppers, and 'paprika' for bell peppers. Ground spice from bell peppers is called paprika rite?
>>
Favourite hot sauces (in terms of taste) I should try?
>>
>>9131661
As someone who visits /sp/ frequently, and wages holy war against tripfags, I wouldn't even mind it in this thread. I've learned quite a bit here and being able to understand easily who is saying what wouldn't be a bad thing. lol either way, you give and you take Samuel

>>9131790
Oh ok. Well I just asked because I had to look up some of those spices lol
>>
File: 2.png (376KB, 383x383px)
2.png
376KB, 383x383px
>>9130843
>>
>>9132213
Do it then, I might, or just start spamming pictures in all my posts. And fuck. but really, I've been grabbing most of my pictures from my instagram so it'd be pretty easy to figure out who I am.
>>
>>9132278
If my hot sauce turns out delicious in a few weeks I'll start tripfagging.
>>
Hmmmm...
So after a week or so, does this fermentation process slow down/change gears? I'm seeing less bubbles
>>
>>9132465
>So after a week or so, does this fermentation process slow down/change gears?

Of course it does. It will slow down and then stop when whichever one of these happens first:
1) The bacteria run out things to eat and die from starvation
or
2) The lactic acid concentration gets high enough to kill the bacteria.

Same thing happens with fermenting beer or wine: fermentation stops when either the yeast run out of sugar to eat or if the alcohol % gets too high for them to live.
>>
>>9132482
So is it time to blend this and give it a taste? I thought this was supposed to go for a few weeks.
>>
File: 1499283362765445646594.jpg (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1499283362765445646594.jpg
2MB, 2560x1440px
Hurry up and ripen, you fucks!
>Thai dragon, JalapeƱos, Carolina reaper, habanero. Ghost not in pic
>>
>>9132493

Up to you. The longer you let it ferment then the stronger the sour/funky taste will be. Eventually it will stop entirely.
>>
>>9132493
How long has it been fermenting? And to make sure it's really done seal the lid well and see if it still builds up pressure. You don't want exploding bottles of hotsauce
>>
>>9132530
8 days. There's pressure released when I open the lids, so while it does appear to be slowing significantly I guess it's not done fermenting quite yet. I mean, I know it won't go on for ever I just thought 8 days seemed too soon.
>>
>>9132735
Wait another week at the very least, two would be preferable, 3 would be great. A month is the general fermentation time for hotsuace.

>>9132482
And to continue off of what this guy said, Different bacteria/yeast will take over as acidity levels change. I'll have to refresh myself on this later, but I believe there are "3" levels of fermentation when it comes to lactofermentation (which is what you're doing now).

So those really powerful and active bacterias have started to settle down, and the ones that can withstand high acidity are picking up the load of the work.
>>
>>9105055
>think OP pic says "scorpion poupon"
>sides explode
>>
File: IMG_2389.jpg (37KB, 291x248px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2389.jpg
37KB, 291x248px
>>9132819
Seriously though I posted that because I absolutely love the flavor of scorpion sauce, even though it hurts coming out the other end
>>
Is this stuff supposed to be refrigerated at some point? Judging by the discussion here so far I'm guessing no?
>>
>>9131618
That sounds pretty good. When would those go in, during or after fermentation?
>>
>>9132795
So you're trying to make staring at jars for weeks a new hobby of mine.
I'm impatient, pepper anon.
>>
>>9134453
You pretending to be me or did you start a batch too? Might actually need to tripfag it up after all...
>>
>>9133560

if you are fermenting you generally want to refrigerate it when you feel like it's fermented to your liking. Refridgeration will slow the fermentation down to a near stop but keep the culture of bacteria alive so you get a boost of good gut flora whenever you use it.

Alternatively you can heat it to boiling to stop the fermentation and kill the culture. As long as the bacteria have created an environment acidic enough you can keep that at room temp indefinitely.
>>
This board working again?
>>
Now of the 2 jars I have going, 1 is still bubbling and the other has slowed way down.
>>
>>9134805
Just started one at the same time as you is all.
>>
>>9136220
what's in yours?
>>
>>9135636
The one that is still bubbling a bit more actually has more tomato in it. Makes more sense now...
>>
>>9136238
I'm trying out habs mixed with some orange bell peppers and garlic for my first go at it. No idea if that combo will be any good, but I winged it anyway.
>>
>>9136600
My very minimal experience with this is that it's really easy to overdo the garlic. Also, I'd wonder if tomatoes would add to your results? Anyway, sounds good it will be cool to hear how yours turns out.
>>
>>9136632
I do only have two cloves in, though the batch itself is small. I'm not sure about taste, but since I started burping it, the garlic has definitely taken over the smell. Guess I can always cut back on it if need be.
I considered the tomato thing, but I figured with my first batch I'd try to stay somewhat vanilla.
>>
>>9136771
Two cloves is definetly not too much. Garlic flavor dies down pretty fast over time. I would personally recomend tomatoes though. But Im extremely biased towards them; and if your ferment has already started bubbling they probably aren't necessary. Unless you want to add a nice hearty flavor too it (But i'm still experimenting with what tomatoes actually add).

>>9136413
Are they in mason jars? try sealing the lids, if not wait another week at least. fermentation may slow a lot, but they're still active. I just opened a hotsauce that's 3/4s of a year old and it still releases a nice hiss when I open it. Post pictures and I can give a lot more help/info.
>>
https://www.instagram.com/p/BL-_x9dBXud/
>>
Made this recipe here >>9137031 recently

Pretty fucking good and lots of flavor.
>>
File: hawt-saceee.png (1MB, 999x749px) Image search: [Google]
hawt-saceee.png
1MB, 999x749px
>>9137007
I'm going to stick to the plan and let these go for another 2-3 weeks. Just making conversation and bumping mostly.
Since this is my first real go at this fermenting stuff I'll see it through to see what happens.

My other comment about garlic was mostly from my experience with pickling which I have a lot more of and I've ruined a few batches with too much garlic. 4+ cloves. Yeah that was dumb, but I do like garlic.

>pic related
The left has more tomato and is fizzing more. Both smell damn good when I burp them.
>>
I want to do a hot sauce with a vibrant orange color to it.

right now I plan to use habanero or scotch bonnet for the heat, orange bell for some sweet and tumeric and carrot for some balanced flavors.

I've done some fermented sauces with ginger before and they always come out good but has anyone done a ferment with tumeric? I mainly thought of using it to add to the color of the sauce
>>
>>9137025
das gud akshun
>>
>>9137342
i'd recommend a scotch bonnet for that. carrots go good with it, haven't used tumeric before but I'll try it sometime.
>>
>>9137342
scotch bonnet has a great flavor.
Thread posts: 190
Thread images: 41

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.