[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did I fuck up by buying a cast iron griddle pan instead of a flat one?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: 20170622_185214.jpg (4MB, 4128x3096px) Image search: [Google]
20170622_185214.jpg
4MB, 4128x3096px
Did I fuck up by buying a cast iron griddle pan instead of a flat one?
>>
>>9088249
Yep.
>>
Depends on what youre cooking, steak would be better in a flat one
>>
>>9088254
What's a griddle pan better for? I wanted grill marks on my steaks
>>
>>9088260
>What's a griddle[sic] pan better for?
Nothing, idiot. The lines don't do anything and you have a worse sear than you would get in a normal pan.
>>
>>9088260
Maybe salmon? Idk
>>
>>9088264
I'll sell it on eBay and get a new one then. Maybe there's a market for pre-seasoned pans
>>
what are griddle pans even for? are they just for making meme grill marks?
>>
>>9088282
I think it's to drain fat from the food. Good for deglazing I guess, I wanted the meme marks though
>>
>>9088249
No, it's fine, I wish I had one. Sear isn't everything.
>>
File: tumblr_n572kbcwB71rap07ko1_1280.jpg (86KB, 644x1183px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n572kbcwB71rap07ko1_1280.jpg
86KB, 644x1183px
>>9088260
>grill marks

one of the oldest meme's in modern cooking.

The flavor is in the caramelization (browing) of the meat when its in contact with the hot metal. With a regular pan you get complete coverage and total sear, with the grill pan its only in the contact area.

Since the general public dont know what the fuck they are doing, their 'eye' tells them that grill marks are great. So, if you gotta cook for the plebs of society, you need grill marks on the meat to keep them happy.
>>
>>9088308
Or Maybe the fat drips down into the pan, and releases that wonderful light smoke flavor, you know, like a grill? This board refuses to believe there is more than one way to do things.
>>
>>9088282
>are they just for making meme grill marks?
That.

They do an objectively worse job of cooking because there is less metal in direct contact with the food.

>>9088291
That's marketing nonsense. Fat drains away from the food in a normal flat plan.

>>9088308
this guy knows

>>9088314
The bottom of the pan never gets hot enough for that to occur. There are certainly more than one way to do things. But some things work well and some things work poorly. A grill pan is in the latter category.
>>
>>9088249
Oh my god what a dumbass

>>9088314
You too
>>
>>9088249
as someone with a griddle pan, yes.

mine was a gift tho.
>>
>>9088260
>What's a griddle pan better for?
It's for better allowing fat to leave the food. So, it's useful for making your food taste worse basically.
>>
>>9088254

Bacon. That's it.

It's for fatty foods that will be done in various batches on the pan so that they do not end up swimming in their fat.

>>9088264
>>9088269
>>9088308
>>9088401
Idiots.
>>
>>9088440
>not wanting food to swim in delicious fat
Idiot.
>>
>>9088440
>that they do not end up swimming in their fat.

But you WANT the food to "swim in their fat". That makes the food cook faster and more evenly because the fat fills the gaps between the flat pan and the irregularly shaped food.

Of course you don't want to eat all the fat that drains out of the food while you cook it, but that's easily done even with a flat pan. Just tilt the pan and let the fat run to one side, or run it all through a colander/sieve and let the fat drain off.

Draining off the fat during the cooking process is pants-on-head retarded. It makes the cooking take longer & more uneven, and it produces no appreciable change in the fat content of the finished dish.
>>
>>9088442
>>9088445

Anons, "the food" not withstanding, I specifically named what to cook. I didn't type pork chops, potatoes or anything but bacon. You don't have to stop cooking and drain with that thing. It's a stupid skillet regardless since you can do the same or better baking it, but the skillet is for collecting fat, and with bacon it has an application allowing it to render and dry at once, as I said before imo the only one.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.