[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

smartkitchen

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7

File: 1761-L16BWA_D_(1000)[1].jpg (108KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1761-L16BWA_D_(1000)[1].jpg
108KB, 1000x1000px
How automated is your kitchen? What are some good smartkitchen appliances and management platforms?
>>
File: ikettle-img[1].jpg (53KB, 500x550px) Image search: [Google]
ikettle-img[1].jpg
53KB, 500x550px
Bumping with a product I found but have zero experience with: the iKettle.

It's a tea kettle that offers temperature management and water level monitoring via wi-fi and a smartphone app.

https://smarter.am/ikettle/
>>
>>9080148
Far better

http://fellowproducts.com/shop/staggekg/
>>
>>9080148
It must be just me, cause I see absolutely no use for any of this...
>>
Shitty thinly veiled advertising thread
>>
>>9080179
I want to automate my daily routines as much as possible.

>>9080168
Sweet, checking into it. Thanks.

>>9080180
Nope, just posted the first remotely controllable tea kettle I found and an Allen-Bradley PLC because that's the brand I see the most--not even sure that a PLC would be right for this kind of thing, though.
>>
File: 1423747397056.jpg (1MB, 2611x1958px) Image search: [Google]
1423747397056.jpg
1MB, 2611x1958px
I smartified a toaster
>>
File: 1423747862505.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
1423747862505.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>9080684
It's not connected anymore since I had to throw it into a box when moving. It was made as a weekend hack and a good reason to play around with relays and AC.
>>
File: toast.jpg (94KB, 615x820px) Image search: [Google]
toast.jpg
94KB, 615x820px
>>9080692
It actually toasts. This was taken when experimenting with toasting times, and figuring out why it failed to keep track of the time properly. Turns out milliseconds overflow 16 bit ints pretty easily.
>>
>>9079661
>Allen-Bradley Micrologix PLC
I installed and programmed two of these (a couple models up - ones that also have analog I/O and a high speed timer). You'd need the programming software for these. I'm not sure if A-B makes a handheld programmer for this series.
>>
>>9080375
>people tame horses
>hurr stop being lazy
>people create the steam engine
>hurr stop being lazy
>people create cars
>hurr stop being lazy
>planes
>hurr lazy fuck just hurrr
>>
>>9080719
All those things you listed have major tangible benefits that justify the work involved. It's a beneficial trade-off.

What exactly is the trade-off benefit from automating your kitchen? I'm a gadget geek myself, but what is there to possibly gain from this? You probably spend 10x the time trying to get things working correctly than you save once they actually are working.
>>
>>9080741
I like tinkering. I don't like forgetting to feed myself or make my morning tea.
>>
>>9080970
Do you really need some beeping baby robot sending smoke signals to your smart phone to remember to make yourself a morning tea? Do you just stare outside the window while slowly dying of thirst, otherwise?

And how do you forget to feed yourself? You have a smartbody for that. It is called "getting hungry".
>>
File: OMhdbSo_d.jpg (43KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
OMhdbSo_d.jpg
43KB, 640x480px
>>9080148
Enjoy your botnet
>>
>>9079661
I have a coffee machine, bread maker and slow cooker with auto-on timers. Beyond that I don't really see the need for automating anything else, given the current level of technology available.
>>
>>9080970
>I like tinkering
Same here. But that's a hobby. Entertainment. It's not necessarily practical.

>>I don't like forgetting to feed myself
How is that even possible? Surely you have a basic routine like wake up, eat, shower, shave, brush teeth, go to work/school/etc? (or something similar, not necessarily in that order) And even if you didn't, wouldn't a simple alarm be a sufficient reminder?

>>or make my morning tea.
So you've figured out a way to completely automate that process? Given how easy tea is to make I can't see how you could practically improve upon it with automation.

I'm all in favor of tinkering. But let's not pretend that it's about practicality when it's really about a fun hobby.
>>
>>9081905
Dunno if you're just memeing, but a lot of these IoT appliances really are horribly insecure.
>>
>>9081905
>>9081995
>mfw somebody hacks into your toaster and burns your house down
>>
>>9081995
>>9082014
That kettle is known for leaking wifi passwords in cleartext when it's switched on
>>
>>9080699
>using ints to store time
Nice!
>>
>>9081423
>Do you really need some beeping baby robot sending smoke signals to your smart phone to remember to make yourself a morning tea?
Yes. I haven't had tea in a few days because of this.

>Do you just stare outside the window while slowly dying of thirst, otherwise?
Kind of, yeah. It's been a couple of times already this week that I've had a pounding headache because I haven't been remembering to hydrate.

>And how do you forget to feed yourself? You have a smartbody for that. It is called "getting hungry".
I get too busy to notice I'm hungry and I forget to eat.
>>
>>9080684
cool clock, ahmed
>>
>>9080699
That's pretty cool, anon. Did you have it integrated into a broader system, or was it just a programmable toaster (which is still pretty cool)?
>>
automatic tea maker coming through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVmNboY14aU
>>
>>9082229
Where exactly on the spectrum are you anon?
>>
>>9083976
No official diagnosis, but in social conversations I've had mental health professionals suggest some degree of both Asperger's and ADHD.
>>
>>9083976
I have stage 4 autism it's the worst kind of autism you can get
>>
>>9083927
This seems like more work than microwaving a cup of water with a teabag or using a tea k cup.
>>
>>9083838
it takes toast times over USB to the arduino and i have it connected to my server so i can netcat start toasts
i was going to build an """app""" but then i realised i wouldn't use it anyways
>>
File: 44iqHtTr.jpg (70KB, 1434x1076px) Image search: [Google]
44iqHtTr.jpg
70KB, 1434x1076px
>>9084424
>Not connecting it to Alexa
>Not programming it to learn exactly how you like your toast cooked based on a large number of factors
>Not making it obsessed with making toast
It's like you don't want to have a comfy time
>>
>>9084977
What if she refuses to make your toast, because you keep jacking it to Cortana and Siri R34, while she has to watch?
>>
>>9084977
I absolutely refuse to have a "smart" home that's controlled from outside the home. I don't trust the almighty Jew enough to not burn my home down.

Also, I know myself exactly how I want my toast toasted. 75 seconds for white bread, 95 for that slightly more dense whole grain bread I like to buy.
>>
>>9084977
I don't trust Amazon to run my house, and I don't trust the internet to not fuck with my house.
>>
>>9085166
>Cortana and Siri R34
Is this a thing?
>>
buy a teasmade

build a fancy teasmade with a built in toaster or something

duct-tape a rice cooker to the side
>>
Itt: /g/ gets lost on the way to /tpg/
>>
>>9079661
What is that thing?
>>
Holy fuck. You don't need any internet in your kitchen except for a recepy diaplay.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.