[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fruit trees...

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: pears.jpg (5KB, 211x239px) Image search: [Google]
pears.jpg
5KB, 211x239px
My dad has 600 acres about two hours outside of town. It's a kick ass piece of land removed from highways and civilization full of dense hardwood, open meadows, and gentle streams. Does /ck/ have any experience in planting fruit trees? Any advice? Tips? Suggestions? I want an orchard. Long term project, but I think it's worth it.
>>
>>9070101
finally a thread we can all relate to
>>
>>9070101
What climate is the land in?
>>
>>9070273
We're in hardiness zone 8. We're pretty far south so our options are limited but there are a lot of varieties that have been engineered to fit our climate. Apples, pears, persimmon trees all have varieties suited for our climate and produce in the late fall during deer season. I confess I do want to shoot the deer too.

For summer I'd like to plant peaches and plum trees.
>>
>>9070437
Peaches Plums and Pecans. Throw some nuts in there.
>>
SPLICING
P
L
I
C
I
N
G
>>
Just started some jackfruit trees from seed, I just hope I don't get an odd hard freeze in the next 3 to 10 years.
>>
>>9070101
don't know but fresh pears are pretty unbeatable. stores won't allow me to hold pears up to be my favorite fruit, because I moved and now I can't find good fresh ones just fallen off a tree. all the pears at the store are rocks and canned pears suck. one of the only reasons I miss utah. everyone had a pear tree for some weird reason.
>>
RREEEE FUCK OFF ONE PERCENTER!!!!
#BERNIE2020
>>
>>9070101
>full of dense hardwood
Heh
>>
File: Fruit-Tree-Net-Standard.jpg (52KB, 600x480px) Image search: [Google]
Fruit-Tree-Net-Standard.jpg
52KB, 600x480px
I heard it's a lot of up-keep for a legit orchard.

Your trees will get ravaged by insects and birds, unless you have fruit tree nets (pic related), or you spray your orchards with pesticides. You will probably also encounter problems like fruit diseases or fungus from time-to-time.

Possibly, you could look at heritage fruit breeds that would be more resilient to insects, fungus, and diseases, but it might only produce small hard fruit suitable for processing (booze/jam/etc.)
>>
>>9070916
>>9070916
My pop pop had several pecan trees on his small cattle operation. They're so slow growing but it's an incredible long term plan that I'm probably going to look into. Also walnuts.

>>9070925
You mean grafting? I've found a great company that sells several varieties of good quality stock.
https://www.fast-growing-trees.com/

>>9071203
Yeah many of the varieties I'm looking at claim to be relatively good with insects and are also relatively low maintenance. I'm also considering a scarecrow or 10 lol. My plan would be to head out to my dad's land every couple of weeks at our cabin to just chill on the weekends like I already mostly do. By "orchard" I mean like maybe 10 trees of a few varieties. So no more than maybe 60 trees total. After having the soil tested and setting my plan in motion I can get them in ground in one good Saturday of hard work and come out and spray them every couple of weeks. No biggy.
>>
File: delicious.jpg (12KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
delicious.jpg
12KB, 480x360px
>>9071134
I throw sexy parties on the weekends. It's a real YMCA bash.
>>
>>9070101
This is a local plant nursery's site for me, maybe some of the docs might help: http://yamagamis.com/garden-guides/
>>
>>9070437
Do pecans and black walnuts. Walnut wood is fucking expensive and will only get more so. Walnut trees can fetch $100,000 on the market -- criminals raid orchards and cut up trees at night to steal them.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.