[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how do i avoid this hapenning when i cook?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 8

how do i avoid this hapenning when i cook?
>>
>>9062105
don't buy onion
>>
Spend more than $30 on your fucking chef's knife, and learn how to use and take care of it.
>>
>>9062105
keep your fingers away from your knife
>>
>>9062115
buying a more expensive knife isnt going to help him not cut himself
>>
chop with a butter knife.
>>
Curl the fingers on your food-holding hand away from the blade
Learn the pinch grip for the knife
Watch some youtube vidyas
Go slow
>>
a dull knife is sharp enough to cut you and you alone, a sharp knife is too scary to risk joking around with
>>
>>9062105
Slowly lower the onion into an open blender and let it do the chopping for you.
>>
>all that victim-blaming

You did everything right, OP.
>>
>>9062122
It helps to not have to put your entire bodyweight on the blade to get it to cut. Plus people tend to be more careful with something actually sharp.
>>
>>9062105
Get your knife properly sharpened so you won't need to use excess force and have it go somewhere it shouldn't.
>>
>>9062152
there is only 1 person here, there is no victim/perp
>>
File: Better-Margarita-portrait-680.jpg (222KB, 680x900px) Image search: [Google]
Better-Margarita-portrait-680.jpg
222KB, 680x900px
>>9062105
What I like to do is instead of using a cutting board, throw the onion into the air and cut it like a fruit ninja.

BECAUSE I'M A BADASS.
>>
>>9062105
The same way you solve all problems. Buy a machine that does it for you.

A knife is a very versatile and useful tool, but you can ultimately get the same result with an onion dicer, without risking fingers.
>>
>>9062138
This, it sounds stupid as fuck but actually works.
>>
>>9062105
look for a solution online and add billy next to it
>>
Improve your tecnique. If you slice in and out before applying weight it will help keep the knife in a groove, which prevents it from sliding on the skin of the onion. If your knife is dull, you can place your palm on the back of the blade and apply pressure.
>>
>>9062105
you put it in a blender obviously
>>
File: DC.png (198KB, 1136x1285px) Image search: [Google]
DC.png
198KB, 1136x1285px
>using a blender for an onion
Shit takes fucking seconds with a knife and a knife is easier to clean than a goddamn blender.

Is this a thread full of fucking faggots? What a bunch of pussies.
>>
Use a clever cutter, there's a whole other thread about it
>>
>>9062469
No but there's at least one idiot in it
>>
>>9062469
You have to be 18 to post here, sport.
>>
>>9062426
wait you guys think it slipped?
it didnt, it just cut through the onion and into my finger
>>
>>9062545
>>9062555
Do you guys blow each other? I don't mean to be intrusive into your sexual relationship I'm just curious.
>>
>>9062581
I wouldn't say no if it came up
>>
>>9062576
Curl your fingers in and use your knuckles to guide the knife.
>>
>>9062602
I could curl your knuckles if you dig the vibe I'm laying down.
>>
>>9062581
Hey, if you're going to act like you're in seventh grade, at least you're owning it. Carry on.
>>
>>9062576
>it just cut through the onion
>and into my finger
Don't put your fingers under the onion.
>>
>>9062576
Don't be a fuckass and keep your hands away from the path of the blade.
>>
>>9062131
If he had a sharp fucking knife he wouldn't have had to use all that fucking pressure which was most likely made his hand slip. Now his fucking onion has AIDS.
>>
>>9063352
i have no right to expect reading comprehension on a cooking board
>>
File: laugh.jpg (35KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
laugh.jpg
35KB, 500x333px
>>9062105
Have your mom do it.
>>
>>9062105
lay off the booze fuckface
>>
File: sharpeningsteel.jpg (205KB, 1500x1125px) Image search: [Google]
sharpeningsteel.jpg
205KB, 1500x1125px
You should make a investiment in one these good ones

Your knives will sharpen and you don't need to do a lot of pressure anymore when you cut your stuff

Invest in a goos rock sharpener as well to revive your old knives
>>
>>9062105
by gitting gud
>>
>>9062105
buy a slap chop
>>
>>9062105
try a back and forth motion to start
learn to coordinate

if you are using a french chip knife keep the point
on the board the whole time and use it like a paper
slicer

shit idfk
practice?
>>
>>9062105
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaJWqEXaG9Y
watch the master work.
>>
>>9062105
Keep your knife sharp and learn how to use it. Dull knives forcing you to struggle end up cutting way more people than a sharp knife and a little focus.
>>
You have to consider not only the time spent cleaning the blender, but also the lifetime cost in fingers of using a knife. If you're a normal person who can use a knife without losing fingers, that's great, but that's not what OP is asking.
>>
>>9062105
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TllPrdbZ-VI
>>
>>9062105
Google how to use a chef's knife.
Follow the instructions.

>>9062576
People thought you slipped because no one considered the possibility you were retarded enough to put your fingers under the onion, and then cut through the onion towards your fingers.
>>
>>9062576
please ignore the advice in this thread. you should not get a sharper knife.
>>
>>9062105
Keep knife sharpened and honed. Just some honing can do wonders for a knife that's been abused a couple years. I keep mine sharp enough that I don't need to use much force, but not so sharp accidentally touching it will cut a man's hands. If it slams into the cutting board with each slice, it's way too dull.
>>
Dull knives slip and stop keeping your fingers under the edge of the blade, this thread is fucking retarded.
>>
File: knife skills.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
knife skills.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>9062117
This!
Almost all cuts are caused by the knife touching the fingers. Don't do it!
>>
>>9062105
Quit being a fucking cry baby.
>>
>>9062105
I dunno, my onions never bleed when I cut them.
Try a different store maybe?
>>
>>9062581
>summerfag
>>
>>9062159
This and only this.
>>
>>9062105
get good
>>
time for a new cutting board

shit's nasty
>>
>>9062105
sharpen your knives
>>
>>9062105
For a sec I thought the onion was bleeding
>>
>>9063526
>leaves 20% of the onion piece unchopped

And here I thought I was going to learn how to chop the entire thing for once.
>>
>>9063467
>sharpeningsteel.jpg
>sharpens your knives

I am surprised people are not being triggered by this.
>>
>>9063467
what's the deal with these? Some people say it "straightens" the blade while others say it sharpens it. I use mine and clearly notice a difference, but what does it actually do? I dont think it actually sharpens the blade.
>>
>>9065392
If you can stand Ramsey he doesn't leave much waste. The bits right by the root have a kinda tough chew relative to the other bits of the onion though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwGBt3V0yvc
>>
>>9065412
It's just semantics. There's sharpening and there's honing, and the steel does the latter.
Honing makes the knife sharper so only a pedantic asshole gets worked up about it.
>>
>>9065412
It's a hone, it hones. Straightening is the closest to what it actually does, it corrects feathering and/or bending of the cutting edge that occurs during normal use. Sharpening requires actually removing material to form a new edge.
>>
>>9065415
is there a trick to not making the onion release the crying fumes? I heard someone say if you have a sharp knife and you run it under cold water for a sec it wont crush the onion (releases less fumes) and the water on the knife kinda keeps it locked. Tried it but still get tears.
>>
>>9065431
So the tears come from sulfoxide released by the onion cells as they're cut/crushed reacting with the water in your eyes to form sulfuric acid. Either, use a super sharp knife and cut real fast like Pipen, keep your knife wet to keep the acid on your blade instead of your eyes, or throwing your onions in the freezer for ~15 minutes before chopping.
>>
Just buy a slap chop, if you can't dice an onion without mangling yourself and have to ask a pan asiatic carpet weaving forum for help you clearly lack the mental capacity to hold anything sharper than a spoon

It can serve as a warning to others as well
>>
>>9065431
You can:
1. Chop fast with a sharp knife
2. Be 6'4 because most of the time I don't get the effects of onions being chopped due to being too far away, partly.
3. Chop under the kitchen fan while it's on
4. Put on goggles
5. Use a onion chopper tool like Alligator or such
>>
>>9065545
Or you can chop around the root that's where most of the acid is
Or be a pussy and cut the root and put it under running water fast for a couple of seconds
>>
>>9064968
Yo mama is nastier than a dumpster the day after new years eve but I don't tell you to get another one
>>
>>9065445
>or throwing your onions in the freezer for ~15 minutes before chopping.
This is probably the best solution if you have the time. I never have any problems with chopping a leftover onion that was stored in the refrigerator.
>>
>>9062105
Use a sharp knife and never cut in a way that will lead to the blade coming towards you if it slips, always cut away from yourself. Sometimes you'll get lazy and try to do something risky and you'll end up getting cut, but it's not worth it.
>>
File: IMG_0400.jpg (77KB, 458x447px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0400.jpg
77KB, 458x447px
>>9065873
>the day after New Year's Eve
>>
>>9065431
You can leave your onion in the fridge. There are other downsides but it definitely mitigates the sulfur.
>>
>>9064868
that was terrifying to watch
>>
>>9065412
>>9065421
>tfw crooked blade
>>
>>9065431
Yeah you stop being a bitch.
>>
>>9062105
how the fuck did that even happen?
>>
>>9062576
I think you should consider staying away from sharp objects in general.
>>
>>9062576
Next time cut your throat
>>
File: 1490445058863[1].webm (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1490445058863[1].webm
2MB, 1280x720px
>>9062125
Thread posts: 79
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.