[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone besides East Asians and Hawaiians use seaweed in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: seaweed salad.png (355KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
seaweed salad.png
355KB, 400x400px
Does anyone besides East Asians and Hawaiians use seaweed in their cuisine? Why not? It's savory and nutritious, it's surprising that other coastal regions don't eat it more.
>>
CHEEEEEEEEEE HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
>>
>>9059459
Supposedly in Ireland and Iceland they eat something called dulse
>>
>>9059459
It generally stinks when you find the shit in the wild.
>>
I wish I could find it fresh in a bag like spinach to take home and fuck with, instead of a small portion in a bowl for 10.99 at a restaurant
>>
>>9059743
You can get it in bags easily at Asian markets, but it's almost always dried or salted.

You can't really keep it bagged "fresh" like you can with other greens.
>>
>>9059747
Sayin...I want fresh seaweed not stepped on (dried/salted) to play around with...and not doused in a dressing...let me taste it first! That's how I learned to love turnip and mustard greens...raw first; then cooked, then what seasonings fit to my taste...you know?
>>
File: miyeok-guk1[1].jpg (34KB, 598x400px) Image search: [Google]
miyeok-guk1[1].jpg
34KB, 598x400px
>>9059755
I'm not talking about sheets, like nori. You can get dried, unseasoned seaweed that is just dehydrated. Put it in water to reconstitute and it comes out looking like pic related.
>>
>>9059511
Welsh Lavar as well
>>
>>9059775
Fuck, really? Gotta check that out...thanks anon.
>>
>>9059459
Seaweed's for pussies. Fermented seafood, on the other hand...
>>
Nothing like a seaweed salad.
>>
also it prevents cancer
>>
>>9060467
wakame is pretty good. you can almost believe you got it fresh from the sea once you chill it
>>
Southern Italy here. We do. Get it fresh from the fishmongers then put it in a pot of water, bring to the boil, drain, rinse, boil and drain and rinse all over again, squeeze excess water and dress with lemon juice and olive oil to eat as a salad, either on its on or with slices of braised octopus.
Doesn't look or taste the same as the Asian ones so I assume it's a different species.
>>
>>9059459
I think for more than a thousand years it's been part of the British Isles and Icelandic diet...
Irish do some seaweed "dulse" soups or using it in salads.
Welsh dish is "laverbread" or sauteed.

I think you need pristine waters to even consider eating it. Maybe why it kind of became less popular despite healthful benefits. Red tide bacteria and toxins are a 6-12mo problem, not to meant waste runoff that hits the oceans close to shore. Heck,seaweed is reported to be killing manatees from their toxins. In Florida, the sargassum is the main washed ashore kind, and it's usually kind of rotted and crusted with scaly bits of inorganic carbon, marine life clinging on, from algae to immature crustaceans. It is considered inedible for safety reasons, and because it's pretty strong and bitter anyway. No one in the world straight up eats it, like you could with laver.
>>
>>9060957
What's inorganic carbon? Sounds like an oxymoron
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.