[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ingredient: onion

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_3020.jpg (376KB, 1648x1153px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3020.jpg
376KB, 1648x1153px
Ok, is it just me or have onions changed lately? Like a month ago I was making some guacamole and I added onion, but then the onions completely overpowered everything in it. Ruined my guacamole. I thought maybe i was just using some old ass half cut onions i found in my fridge, but a few days later mi madre was cutting up some fresh onions for some tacos, and I could smell them from across the room. And these were the white onions so they normally aren't that strong. Now I know what you're thinking. This dude just a bitch about onions, but the fact that i have eaten full raw onions before means it's might not just be me. Maybe some gmo company is working on shifting the standard kind of onion that the public uses. Maybe the onion farms had a weird season. Idk, but has anyone else noticed onions being particularly pungent lately? I was trying to eat a salad today, and I was like woah, that's some onion. But it was a red onion, so it actually is normally pretty strong. Anyway, it could just be a mental thing where I had one bad onion, and the memory just gets triggered. But all in all, I'm just checking if I'm tripping or not. Nah mean?
>>
I had some strong onion in a salad a few weeks ago so maybe this is a thing now.
>>
I haven't noticed this, but I'd guess that onion flavor varies with the seasons. Try getting smaller (younger) onions, or maybe go for organic non-GMO varieties
>>
look up "quick pickling", or just soak them in ice water for 10 minutes. Both help to cut the intensity.
>>
It's actually just because the moon has been in retrograde, it "strengthens" the GMO's they inject then with before shipping. All it does is makes them smell stronger, but my heart always feels weird after eating them, so now I just dig the wild ones out of the ground.
>>
Have the knives you've been using to chop the onions been sharpened recently? A dull knife can sort of bruise the onions as they're cut, and they release a sharper flavor because of it.
>>
Did you try turning them off and on?
>>
>>9051835
The "strength" of onions is directly related to the sulfur content of the soil where the onions were grown. Vidalia onions are famous because the soil near Vidalia, GA contains almost no sulfur (the "burrn" is from sulfates that react to crate sulfuric acid). Onions haven't changed. You have just purchased some onions grown in shitty soil.

>>9051938
Best comment of the day
>>
>>9051955
Makes sense. I went to California from Missouri a week ago and wasn't bothered by them there.
>>
File: bröd nife.jpg (31KB, 1000x741px) Image search: [Google]
bröd nife.jpg
31KB, 1000x741px
>>9051919
a bread knife will solve the problem. the serrated blade gets air into the slices while you move the blade forward and backwards
>>
>>9051835
This guy >>9051955 has it.

From what I've been told, clay-rich soil produces sulphur bombs. The last restaurant I worked in unfortunately purchased directly from a farm with such soil. It became a regular thing for me to punish tardiness with onion duty. Nothing says remorse like an unending lachrymal response.
>>
>>9051835
how old are you? our ability to smell changes with age

could also be a different batch or maybe you got a different type of onion etc

too many variables, it's probably not anything to be super worried about
>>
File: 1446784691142.gif (2MB, 360x360px) Image search: [Google]
1446784691142.gif
2MB, 360x360px
>>9051938
>>
https://youtu.be/y9OGJQNWOGo
>>
File: IMGP9816_cr.jpg (347KB, 2049x1049px) Image search: [Google]
IMGP9816_cr.jpg
347KB, 2049x1049px
>>9051835
It's currently onion harvest in the US. They've been shipping out of New Mexico the last month and harvest is creeping up through the mountains to the Pacific Nothwest. You've probably been eating weak ass Mexican onions that sat in a shipping container for months all winter and the fresh trucked in onions are too much for you to handle.

t. Part-time onion hauler
>>
>>9051916
me too m8
>>
>>9052708

All the growers here are shipping you faggots spoiled onions. Good thing we are all niggers now so we can get away with it

http://www.capitalpress.com/Idaho/20170127/snow-damage-to-idaho-oregon-onion-industry-nears-100-million
>>
>tfw you get some onion under your nail and it smells funky for days, yet you cant stop smelling it
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.