[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Frozen Vegetables

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 494706637_XS.jpg (78KB, 673x484px) Image search: [Google]
494706637_XS.jpg
78KB, 673x484px
How can i cook frozen vegetables without them turning to shit?
Im trying to get my family to eat a lot more vegetables and buying fresh vegetables every two days seems expensive and time consuming so i thought id go with various mixes of frozen vegetables.
Problem is the only thing i know how to make with frozen vegetables that doesn't turn into mush is beef stew and thats probably not something you want more than once every couple of weeks.
Advice?
>>
>>9044185
They aren't replaceable. Even with fucking corn, you can tell the difference between straight-off-the-cobb and canned/frozen. Frozen is good for longer stewed dishes or something along those lines (think shephard's pie), but fresh is good for things like roasted broccoli or freshly sautee'd green beans.

Guess the only advice I could give would be to know what you're cooking,and get good at the dishes you're preparing.
>>
water is the enemy. they'll release a ton of liquid and stew.

don't crowd the pan. drain any water that accumulates.
>>
Here's a solution.

Do you behave a medium sized sauce pan?

Check.

Do you have a stainless steel colander?

Check.

Boil water in the sauce pan and place the colander on top of the sauce pan. Place vegetables in colander and steam to your liking. Works for mes every time.

I wish you luck.

Don't listen to that fresh vegetables taste better bullshit. It's all the same. Frozen veggies for the most part are already blanched and flash frozen to retain quality.
>>
What can I do with frozen okra? I wanted it for an Indian recipe but it was too limp and wouldn't crisp up in the pan. Tried it in gumbo but it turned to mush.
>>
>>9044240
Cooking okra is easy.

Step 1. Throw it in the trash because it is disgusting and slimy.

Sorry I just don't like it. I imagine your from the South? That or Asian/Indian.

Anyway yeah I have never enjoyed that vegetable.
>>
>>9044275
White Canadian, but yeah I wanted it for an Indian recipe and it's like $7 for a pound of it fresh from Honduras or $2 for two pounds of it frozen from India. Will consider the trash.
>>
>>9044185
Fucking steam them, what the fuck are you doing that turns them to mush?
>>
>>9044185
Peas are great.
>>
>>9044240
>Coat in cornmeal batter while frozen
>Deep fry
>Jizz your pants because fried okra is food KINO
>>
>>9044240
it could probably still be fine fried. okra is only good pickled, fried, or in soups imo
>>
>>9044304
This, use the excess water to your advantage
>>
>>9044185
If you can afford it just buy fresh vegetables instead of frozen. In most cases it's a night and day difference. I'm old enough to remember the 1970's, when supermarkets weren't as well stocked with fresh vegetables. Pretty much everything my mom cooked with frozen vegetables was pretty grim. Grim enough that my brother and sister refused to eat vegetables when they were kids. As I got older fresh vegetables became more available year round, mom started buying them and her cooking got a lot better. There's no way I'd ever buy frozen veg for my own cooking.
>>
well you can steam them in a steamer, or steam them in a pressure cooker.
>>
i dunno i can fry them usually and it turns out well enough
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.