[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My grandpa was a chef in the Army during the 60s. I never met

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: kneading-bread[1].jpg (49KB, 500x350px) Image search: [Google]
kneading-bread[1].jpg
49KB, 500x350px
My grandpa was a chef in the Army during the 60s. I never met my grandpa because he died fairly early, but my dad assures me that grandpa was some sort of master wizard bread maker in the military. To the point where upper level officers assigned him to be bread maker full time and not see any combat lest this bread virtuoso get shot and die.

My dad says the reason grandpa was such a great bread maker is because his hands for some reason were relatively low temperature. Perhaps because of a lack of circulation or something, his hands were a few degrees cooler than average, and so this temperature difference allowed him to knead dough without activating the yeast and thus produced better tasting bread.

Is there any truth at all to hand temperature producing better bread, or is my dad bullshitting me?
>>
If that were the case bakers would dip their kneading hooks in cold water and shit before turning on their kneading machines.
>>
>>9026102
Yeah that was my first thought. Chefs would just immerse their hands in ice water if this suddenly made bread taste great. Or even further why not just reduce the temperature of the dough itself?
>>
>>9026114
Ya. The basics are there though. The colder it is the longer it takes to rise which lets the fermentation process affect the flavor of the bread more.
>>
>>9026097
>Is there any truth at all to hand temperature producing better bread

99.9% no.

On the contrary to the idea, most bread bakers want the dough to remain warm enough for the yeast to be active, since active yeast is what you want. Some even use special ovens where they can control the temp at around 30-40 celsius while the dough is proofing.

Wanting your dough to be cold goes against everything I've read about bread proofing.
>>
>>9026127
Google cold fermentation friend.
>>
>>9026135

Interesting reads. I usually have let the dough ferment in room temperature for a couple of hours before retarding it overnight in a fridge.

I guess, when a refrigerator isn't readily available for all your dough needs, having a guy with cold hands could help in controlling the dough temperature for whatever benefits it might have.
>>
>>9026097
Some people kill Sauerkrauts.
Some people bake sourdough.
>>
Having cold hands is certainly a food feature for a baker, as the dough will not stick as badly as it does to warm hands. You'll also have a slightly easier time making things like pie dough and puff pastry, since you can handle the dough more before you start to melt the butter. In the case of bread however, the benefit is minimal beyond the convenience of lesser sticking. Even if you did have very warm hands, you could always compensate by using water that's slightly colder when you mix the dough, or by just cutting a few minutes off of the total fermentation time.
>>
>>9026097
yakitate japan tought me:
cold hands: pastries
warm hands: bread

its a manga so it must be true
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.