[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mayonnaisse vs Salad Dressing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

In a lot of old recipes, i.e. from the 1950s and earlier, you them list "mayonnaise or salad dressing" as an ingredient. What did they mean by salad dressing. Are they talking about "Miracle Whip"? Most commercial salad dressings (Ranch, Thousand Island, etc.) were not available until the mid-1950s.

Pic unrelated.
>>
>>9018274
bump for interest
>>
>>9018274
Yeah I bet it's pretty safe to say they were talking about miracle whip. It's been around since the 30s. But I could be wrong
>>
>>9018348

OP here. I looked at the wikipedia article for Miracle Whip and found this:

>According to Kraft archivist Becky Haglund Tousey, Kraft developed the product in-house using a patented "emulsifying machine" invented by Charles Chapman to create a product blending mayonnaise product and less expensive salad dressing, sometimes called "boiled dressing"[3] or "salad dressing spread." The machine (dubbed "Miracle Whip" by Chapman) ensured that the ingredients (including more than 20 different spices) could be thoroughly blended.[2]

Hmmm, that leads me to believe that "salad dressing" was something else. Kraft was trying to blend mayo and "salad dressing" / "boiled dressing" to make a cheaper alternative to mayo.
>>
>>9018274
Traditional western salad dressing are either, vinaigrettes or creamy, basically egg/fermented dairy based, like mayo and thousand island dressing for example. From what you've said I think they probably mean something like Russian dressing or some other mayo based dressing.

Also you're apparently wrong about mid fifties being when you could first buy salad dressing, they started selling them early in the 20th century. Which makes sense because presumably you could buy mayo and a lot of dressings are just mayo with other stuff mixed in.
>https://www.dressings-sauces.org/history-salad-dressings
>>
>>9018274
So I gave up my second chance to have In-N-Out Burger, how bad did I miss out? Is it basically just a cheeseburger or is it something more?
>>
>>9018403
its a cheeseburger you homosexual
>>
>>9018386
OP again. I believe I have answered my own question now. "Salad Dressing" or "Boiled Dressing" is apparently what my fellow southerners used before commercial salad dressings were common or affordable for the masses.

Just like how mayo is an emulsion of egg yolks and oil / acid, salad / boiled dressing was an emulsion of egg yolks and a bechamel sauce w/ acid.

http://www.deepsouthdish.com/2011/08/old-fashioned-southern-boiled-dressing.html

This is actually almost exactly how my grandmother made coleslaw. She never called it "salad dressing" though.

With my question answered, this is now a salad, salad dressing, and meme thread.
>>
>>9018403
It is just a really good cheeseburger, Anon. It is as remarkable in its value as it is in quality. They are cheap and very good. Think 5 guys quality but with Wendy's pricing.
>>
>>9018274
Why did the Lettuce blush?
>it saw the Salad dressing
>>
>>9018403
It's just a decent cheeseburger from a fast food outlet. You can get something comparable from a wendy's.
>>
>>9018274
Salad dressing is like Italian vinaigrette and shit like that.

"Vinaigrette is made by mixing an oil with something acidic such as vinegar or lemon juice. The mixture can be enhanced with salt, herbs and/or spices. It is used most commonly as a salad dressing, but can also be used as a marinade".
>>
>>9018627
Nice
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.