[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Babby's first ribs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

I have 2 huge racks of ribs.
One is covered in bbq sauce and the other in dry rub.
Any advice for smoking them, temperature and time? Do I need tin foil? Also have a grill on hand.
Amateur here so any real advice will be taken to heart.
>>
>>9006631
>smoking ribs
>with bbq on them

rinse that shit and start over. probably will take 8-12 hours.
>>
>>9006637
Oh really?
I thought sweet and sticky would be good.
>>
>>9006643
i only know about tennessee bbq and you dry rub it, smoke it, and when it is done you have your sauce.
texas-style bbq is with the sauce on the meat as it cooks.
>>
>>9006651
Ok, thanks.
I've got the hickory chunks ready to go, I'm aiming for a low and slow 5-6 hours
>>
>>9006653
what type of smoker are you using?
>>
>>9006655
Big Green Egg, won it in a charity raffle
>>
>>9006662
lucky! i thought you were using something like a big chief. you might like this recipe:
http://biggreenegg.com/recipes/famous-daves-five-star-bbq-sticky-ribs/
>>
>>9006672
Thanks, much appreciated
>>
>>9006651
What is the best cheap smoker? I just want a box with racks and a thermometer on the outside.

I have two left hands so I can't build one myself
>>
>>9006631
Please tell me you removed the silver skin.
>>
>>9006960
Weber Smokey Mountain.
Their smallest is $200, largest is $400.

Then go to
amazingribs.com
to learn how to use it properly.
>>
>>9006631
Well, for one, you usually don't apply the bbq sauce until right before you take them off the grill. The sugars in the bbq sauce will just burn way before your ribs finish.

The dry rub is the way to go. Make sure the dry rub is on there for at least 12 hours, but preferably overnight.

I always use charcoal. Put them on direct heat, turning every 5-6 minutes. You'll know when they're done because, well, they'll just look done.

Add the sauce on the meaty side about 5 minutes before you remove them from the grill. Let rest lightly camped in tin foil for about 5 minutes.

I usually cut them into smaller sections, usually 2-4 ribs each section, before I cook them. Sauce goes on more surface that way.

I can give you my dad's family sauce recipe if you're interested.
>>
>>9006968
I bought the '14" its pretty nice. So far I smoked chicken thighs, think I'm going to move onto ribs next. It really is a great entry level smoker.
>>
>>9006973
I got the 22". I can do six full racks at a time (St. Lious).
They make an attachment for ribs so you can hang them vertically from the top rack. Might be useful for the 14".
>>
>>9007011
Cool, thanks I'll take a look.
>>
>>9006968
Meathead is the best!
>>
>>9007034
I really learned a lot from his site.
I was dong a lot of things wrong, basically from the charcoal to the amount of wood to the set up of the WSM.
There is one thing that I found out on my own, though. If you're using a WSM it's a lot easier to just get that smoke on in ~an hour without worrying too much about the temp, and then move the ribs into a slow oven. Fuck feeding charcoal and messing around with the dampers.
>>
>>9006631
Wipe off that BBQ sauce, and pat it dry, maybe even run it under water to get that sugar off, then pat it dry with a paper towel, and switch the second rack to dry rub. Sugary BBQ sauce will burn, like seriously char black overdone burnt sugar, before that rib is properly smoked and fall apart tender.

Cold raw meat absorbs the smoke the best, so it will be in the first 30-45mins of time in your smoker that it'll get 99% of the smoke ring and flavor, and then the meat seals itself up. Make sure it isn't too hot, about 225F. At the point it hits 1hour, you can even quit your smoking and just keep coals hot. At that point, feel free to stack the ribs to keep them moist, or even wrap in foil, until a rib can twist free. Unstack/unwrap, and then and only then should you baste them with sauce to caramelize it, and be light with it if they are really delicate baby back, or as thick as you want with those spare ribs, maybe even a second baste.

There is such a thing as too much smoke, and the quality of the green egg is such that it can and will happen. You'd smoke a brisket for hours because well, it's a thick primal you'd do that with. But, for skinny lil ribs? chicken? chops? You control it to the beginning, and then call off the show.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.