[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cooking Tips for Dumbass College Student

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: za.jpg (247KB, 1254x688px) Image search: [Google]
za.jpg
247KB, 1254x688px
Collegefag here going to living somewhere new for an internship. I don't know much about cooking, but I'd like to make most of my meals (if only for budgetary reasons).

How do I get into the swing of cooking, not make dumb purchasing mistakes, and plan effectively?
>>
Buy a cookbook or use Google
>>
Buy a ton of rice and beans
>>
>>8998986
>>8998981

I'm reasonably confident in my ability to follow instructions, and I understand that rice and beans are good staples.

Would it be reasonable to stick to chicken, canned tuna, and canned sardines for most of my meat?
>>
>>8999006
You don't need meat, you need protein. Beans are protein.

But to answer your question, chicken is the cheapest. Look for sales though, and versatile ingredients.
>>
>>8999041
I'm not a massive salad fan. What are some good ways to incorporate leafy greens and other vegetables into my diet?
>>
>>8998965
first thing to understand is that you probably know absolutely nothing about actual food

you grew up watching the TNMT eating giant slices of cheese+pepperoni new york greasepizza, and your little elementary school did a reading-for-pizza(hut) pizza program so your parents took them to pizza hut and that's the ONLY pizza you've experienced growing up, except for the occasional teenager/college frozen pizza.

it's not your fault. really. you don't know anything else. The USA produces something like 85% of the worlds cheese and like 60% of that is pizza mozzerella to throw 1400+ calorie boosters into the mouths of nutritionally starved yet fat americans like yourself. You're a victim of a larger system here. But this means that you. know. nothing.
as you find yourself ordering a pizza, you're getting robbed

>plan effectively
meal prep on a schedule, and meal prep multiple meals so you can group the time investment
ALWAYS stock food, otherwise when you find yourself hungry before you've got something ready to go, you won't be emergency solving your hunger with $$$ at eat-outs, food ordering, etc.

listen to >>8999041 and >>8998981

Ingredient variety is flavor variety! This is important for your sanity AND your wallet. If you're eating the same couple of dishes every week you'll give up and get bad spending/eating habits. Steak is good, and you can get cheap steak cuts if you know how to shop, but you can't just eat steak. you got to find your way to recipes like steak fajita's with cotija cheese and pico de gallo, where it's got that lime citrus kick and delicious roasted tortilla, or fried chicken and chedder grits with hot sauce, so you can continually mix it up and make it exciting on the budget.

fpbp, a cookbook/google is your best ally here.
>>
my dude, buy chicken thighs in bulk. it's cheap protein, and you can use the bones to make stock if you want to get fancy.

broccoli and brussel sprouts are good green veggies, because they're hearty as fuck. also you can cook your chicken thighs with the brussel sprouts in the oven and it'll come out dope. seriously, even if you hate brussel sprouts, they'll be cooked in the chicken fat and will taste so much better.

if you get some cheap seasoning salt, then you're golden.
>>
>>8999053
Stop being a child and learn to like salad?
>>
>>8999053
git gud and just eat the leafy greens retard
>>
>>8999053
you learn how to make greens delicious by gitting gud

I don't know walnut costs offhand(might be expensive) but you can make like, honey toasted walnuts over arugula salad with a honey vinaigrette and like, some kind of cheese. oh, and some halved cherry tomatoes

make creamed kale

lightly char some green beans and cook them tender on a baking sheet

you can crumble a little bit of bacon into just about any vegetable and give it bacon flavor. from canned peas to garden salads

you can make all sorts of spinach+tomato combos too, even really basic things like toast+fried egg+tomato+spinach for breakfast
>>
File: 1481197137774.jpg (53KB, 557x612px) Image search: [Google]
1481197137774.jpg
53KB, 557x612px
>>8999082
>two paragraphs of sperging over a tasty 'za

OBSESSED
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.