[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Home fries

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: homefries_Feature.jpg (198KB, 720x372px) Image search: [Google]
homefries_Feature.jpg
198KB, 720x372px
How the fuck are you supposed to make these? Do you boil the taters first or not? I'm getting different directions from everyone.
>>
I, too, wish to unlock the arcane art of home fries
>>
>>8992342
Theres a bunch of recipes on seriouseats and foodwishes
>>
>>8992342
microwave the taters using chef johns recipe
>>
don't use red potatoes
also boil them
>>
>>8992342

I parboil them then saute them in a frying pan.

You don't have to parboil them, but they come out crispier if you do.
>>
Either boil first, and fry fast on a high heat. (Preferred)
Or throw them in raw and fry slow on a low heat.

Pre-boiling makes them fluffier inside, but you run the risk of them soaking up the fat and separating during frying. (ie; you boiled them too long)
Both can be made crispy on the outside if you have enough oil/fat and even a modicum of patience.
Speaking of fat, use lard or dripping if you have any.

tl;dr - Just pretend you're making tiny roast potatoes and treat them accordingly, except you put them in a pan istead of an oven.
>>
>>8992342
What everyone forgets to do is flour them.
>Cut potato
>While still wet drop in some seasoned flour
>High heat fry

voila
>>
>>8992342
It's kind of like the fried rice advice. You want it slightly dry (so boiling and steaming is last resort), and pretty cold. You need to plan ahead. For potato salads, you want moist waxy potatoes so red is best, and yukon is a good mix between dry, mealy,starchy and waxy. Idaho is starchy and probably best for crispy has browns. But, you can't go wrong with yukons.

What I do? I microbake them whole the night before I want them. Park in fridge. Slice into generous cubes with chef's knife when cold. Anytime I'm making a roast, I'll intentionally add potatoes to the oven for leftovers hash the next morning.

Though you can start them from raw potatoes, you have to be very patient. Turn down the heat, and leave them alone. Do not sautee or jump them around before a good golden crust or even scrape them up much. Leave them alone, and then flip when about 50% done. I add onions when half done, or they can burn when starting with raw vs prebaked.

Your oven can make great home fries provided you toss them well in olive oil first. But, probably at least 45 minutes at 325F until nice and brown. Patience, Grasshopper.

I like a lawry's kind of plan for the seasoning, it's got paprika, and that hint of celery salt.
>>
>>8992508
>wa la

FTFY
>>
>>8992558
Hmm. The oven sounds like a pretty idiotproof method, maybe I will try that. What I want to do is make them for dinner and throw in some sliced kielbasa, so I don't mind waiting for it to bake. Thanks for the insight coocks
>>
>>8992348
I tried this and it was horrible.
>>
>>8992342
>>8992342
If they are like my hash browns, microwave them for like 1 minute and then fry them.

Comes out perfect
>>
>>8992342
When i worked at an eagle's aerie we baked potatoes, put them in the fridge overnight and then cut them up and fried.
>>
>>8992342
Don't boil or microwave just use a wok oil and seasonings
>>
>>8994384
This is the secret, if you want to call it that. Home fries are basically just a way to use up leftover baked potatoes.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.