[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you find yourself finding less appreciation for sweetness

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: sugary_food.jpg (1MB, 3048x3776px) Image search: [Google]
sugary_food.jpg
1MB, 3048x3776px
Do you find yourself finding less appreciation for sweetness as you age?

I used to love sweetness in all dishes but now I find myself increasingly trying to dull it out in my cooking or outright finding dishes I try unpalatable because the sweetness is too overwhelming. I find it particularly awful in spicy dishes where the sweetness is more pronounced than the spice.

Even chocolate which I used to love I find myself opting for more savoury desserts over chocolate choices.

What's wrong with me?
>>
File: IMG_0975.jpg (40KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0975.jpg
40KB, 300x225px
>>8991813
I got like that. But then I just started eating the stuff my granny got from the Mexican bakery. It's less sweet and usually meant to be dipped in coffee or milk. Get yourself to a panaderĂ­a, homie.
>>
I only eat sweets as treats.
I can still enjoy a candy bar or some good ice cream but I don't want any part of a meal to be sweet.
I especially hate sweet sauces on meat.
>>
Probably alcoholism?

Small children have a preference for sweet over anything else, but this preference disappears well before the global #2 kicks in.

But alcoholics have a well documented aversion to sweet.
>>
>>8991864
That's scary. It has slowly grown as I've developed alcoholism.

Does the aversion go away with sobriety?
>>
Nope.
I rarely use sweet stuff in technically savory dishes but I absolutely have to have at least a couple boxes of cookies or desserts available at all times.
I'm not even fat though
>>
>>8991867
I would be less worried about sweets at this point and more worried about developing a dysfunctional relationship with one of the bedrocks of food culture.

Cut that shit out unless you want to be "that guy" who orders seltzer because he knows he'll ruin his life if he orders one drink. Those people are buzzkills. No more than one standard size drink with dinner every couple of days for the next six months. Never two days in a row. You can do this.

The sugar, well, no one is going to start over-analyzing it if you say no to a donut.
>>
>>8991813
Depends on the food for me. I dislike sugary chocolate stuff but I love black forest cake when it's got actual Kirsch inside and low on the sugar.

Try making desserts that call for booze. Or just cut the sugar on most recipes. Cream cheese frosting calls for 6c sugar? Cut it to 4. Experiment to find what works.
>>
>>8992502
This anon again.

You could also look into spice varieties of stuff. I made spiced oatmeal cookies that were very low on the sugar but were delicious. Allspice, cloves, black pepper, the works. Jamaican cooking has a few options I've found--sweet potato pudding (it's not like our pies) and rock cakes are two I can think of right off the bat.

You could try coffee cakes with coffee or fruits and cut the sugar.

Or you could just lay off the sugar entirely for awhile and work on savory.

By the way, sobriety does help get those taste buds back. And fuck >>8991879 do whatever works for you, you don't need to drink if you don't want to. So sorry it might ruin HIS night if you choose to be sober.
>>
>>8991813
Absolutely. As a kid I liked sweets. As an adult I'm indifferent.
>>
>>8992502
are u me
>>
>>8991813
>more virtue signaling and blogging instead of food discussion
New janitors my ass.
>>
>>8991867
>Does the aversion go away with sobriety?
Have you ever hung out with people in recovery? Coffee and sweets are required for any meeting. Those fuckers go batshit crazy over ice cream. I know a guy who practically burned out his sense of taste through a couple decades of blackout level boozing and cigarettes. His two remaining vices are coffee and sweets.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.