[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is salad a meme?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

File: salad.jpg (291KB, 664x410px) Image search: [Google]
salad.jpg
291KB, 664x410px
Is salad a meme?
>>
>>8988867
ofcourse not, why would it be?
making threads like these is a meme though
>>
>>8988867
Salad in general? I wouldn't call it a meme, but it does show the culture involved has hygiene standards high enough to serve raw foods without making people sick.

But some particular salads could be considered memes. The chicken Caesar salad tells you something very specific about the places where it's served and the kind of people who eat it. Same is true for taco salad and macaroni salad.
>>
>>8988867
Soluble fiber is never a meme.

But your existence is.
>>
a good salad is a rare thing.
>>
>>8989343

spotted the american
>>
>>8989326
>The chicken Caesar salad tells you something very specific about the places where it's served and the kind of people who eat it

god. speaking of memes, can this whole chicken ceasar salad thing go the fuck away already? its a bowl with lettuce and chicken and dressing in it. it says exactly nothing about the person who eats it except that they like a bowl of lettuce with chicken and dressing in it. shut the fuck up.
>>
Not inherently, no, but the idea that salad is in any way a health food in the state that most people consume it (slathered in cream based dressings) is.
>>
>>8989365
I know I wish I were French.
>>
>>8989326
>hating on macaroni salad

Just add some corn relish and it's amazing, assuming you can get your hands on it. Shit is hard to find in stores and I don't know how to make it myself. I should probably google that shit.
>>
>>8989367
>it says exactly nothing about the person who eats it except that they like a bowl of lettuce with chicken and dressing in it.
Bullshit. It speaks volumes. First off, it shows the restaurant doesn't really give a shit about the quality of what they serve. Because any place that bothers to make a proper Caesar with egg, anchovies, good cheese and house made croutons wouldn't offer the option of fucking it up with bland ass chicken breast. That's for the kids of places that offer wrap sandwiches, canned soup and maybe pasta dishes dressed with sauce from a can/jar. What can you tell about a person who eats at such places often enough to have a preference for the chicken Caesar salad? They don't give a fuck about food quality, or they'd be eating somewhere else. Instead they're choosing what they see as a healthy option from a list of poor options, like the fat guy drinking Diet Coke.
>>
>>8989414
w....why does the chicken have to be shitty and bland????????????????? and why does there have to be chicken in it in the first place? it's one more ingredient that can be delicious and add some protein. honestly why the fuck are you so upset about chicken in an already good salad
>>
How did my fellow americans grow up eating salads at home? Because everyone seems to say that americans mainly eat salads with ranch/creamy dressing etc

I grew eating salads with olive oil and vinegar; is that not common in the rest of America?
>>
>>8989574
from my experience most people do only eat ranch. I always thought it ruined a salad.

My brother puts ranch dressing on his pizza. Absolutely disgusting
>>
>>8989574
Can't speak for my fellow sharts, but it's what I use. I usually add some minced garlic, dijon, sometimes an herb or 2. I don't like sugary sweet condiments like most amerilards so that might be why. When I used to go to restaurants it seemed like everyone put a huge nasty glop of ranch or thousand island on theirs. Even grils who said they were dieting had more sugar/cream dressing than greens in the bowl, lol.
>>
>>8989553
>why does there have to be chicken in it in the first place?
To turn in into a proper meal for the kind of person who can't consider anything a real meal without visible chunks of protein in it. The same kind of person who thinks chicken on Alfredo sauce pasta and on top of pizza are good ideas.
>why the fuck are you so upset about chicken in an already good salad
Because it's a dish that's practically emblematic of taking something good and dumbing it down for diners who don't give a shit. You never see this stuff at places with a real chef in the kitchen and a decent wine list. You never see it at places that make their own pasta in house. You see it at Olive Garden tier places. When you see chicken shoehorned into dishes where it doesn't really belong it's almost always a sign the restaurant will be mediocre at best because that's what the people eating there expect.
>>
>>8988867
no salad is a dish silly op
>>
>>8989574
>I grew eating salads with olive oil and vinegar; is that not common in the rest of America?

That's how I grew up (raised in Texas). Often times we didn't even use a dressing at all, just some seasoning (salt and pepper).
>>
>>8989574
my house used ranch but wasn't drenched in it. Usually used a fork to dip in the ranch then go for salad, that way you aren't over doing it
>>
>>8989750
IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE THAT WAY THOUGH. holy shit. just because you see a chicken ceasar at noodles and company doesn't mean a quality restaurant can't make an awesome one. what the fuck, man
>>
File: image.jpg (32KB, 220x300px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
32KB, 220x300px
>>8988867
>is salad an element of a culture or system of behaviour passed from one individual to another by imitation or other non-genetic means.
Retard.
>>
>>8989968
>just because you see a chicken ceasar at noodles and company doesn't mean a quality restaurant can't make an awesome one.
If by quality restaurant you're talking about the Cheesecake Factory then fine, you win. But if we're taking about the kind of restaurant that has a decent wine list you won't see a chicken Caesar on the menu. Not because they couldn't make a good one, but because it would be sending a message they don't want to send. It's the same reason good restaurants don't have kid's menus, salad bars or TV's. Like those things the chicken Caesar has become a symbol of not giving a fuck about the food. You may not like that, but it's very much the case.
>>
>>8990079
no, I don't like it, and I don't like your point of view on it either. you're acting like it has to be that way because only worthless scum like chicken in the ceasar salad, but whatever.
>>
>>8990090
He's right though
>>
>>8990090
>>8990094
This, he's right. I ran a kitchen at a fusion place that didn't allow any guests under the age of 13. They actually turned people away.

Also it was so dark in the dining room guests were using their flashlight apps on their phones to read the menu, that's one of the reasons I quit.
>>
Yet another "meme" shitstarter.
>>
>>8990090
>only worthless scum like chicken in the ceasar salad
Hardly. It's very popular. I'm just saying it's relentlessly middlebrow. It screams, "College kids eat here!" And if you were trying to put across an upscale image because you have a real chef in the kitchen, a decent wine list and are springing for better than SYSCO tier ingredients you will avoid putting it on your menu. Buffalo wings and jalapeno poppers won't be on the appetizers list, either.
>>
>>8990121
>Hardly. It's very popular.
How are those two facts mutually exclusive
>>
>>8990140
They're not. My point is when you're trying to distinguish your restaurant from chain tier places there are some very popular things you want to avoid. For example, pizza topped with pepperoni and low moisture mozzarella is very popular, probably the most popular pizza in the US. But if you're opening an upscale pizza joint that makes your own mozzarella in house and has a wood fired oven it won't be an option on your menu, because it would send the wrong message to customers about what your restaurant is. That doesn't mean everyone who enjoys pepperoni pizza is worthless scum. It just means it's such a symbol of fast food pizza that you'll never see it at a high end place.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.