[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Perfect chili? How do they do it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

I love hot chili. I remember as a kid going to my small hometown's chili cookoffs just to eat the tastiest chili that would also leave you shitting acid because it was so hot.

I've lurked a few years but have never found a good recipe for it. How the hell do they do it?
>>
I don't know how they do it, did you try Google?
>>
>>8988029
I just use lots of cayenne chilli powder and homegrown chillis, I find the chillis you buy from the store lack in heat.
>>
File: 5da.jpg (164KB, 1000x1002px) Image search: [Google]
5da.jpg
164KB, 1000x1002px
>>8988048
>>
>>8988049
Don't tell people that. Always check the things before handling too much. I was given a 450-500k scoville pepper the other day and told it was a banana pepper (500 max.)
Well. I dug the seeds out without gloves. I got fucking destroyed.
>>
>>8988058
Don't tell people that supermarket chilli's are less spicy or don't tell people to use homegrown?

I've never heard of a 500k scoville banana pepper though, maybe it was some sort of weird superhot hybrid, where'd you get it from mate?
>>
>>8988067
Small grocery store, they shipped from mexico and marked as misc produce. I even asked the manager if it was a chili or a mild pepper.

It felt like a lighter was being held between my fingers for 32+ hours. I scooped out two large ones, got every seed in there for reproduction.
No sprouts yet, expecting 20-30 stalks, going to keep them shaded and moist to avoid letting them go over hopefully 100-200k.

Never did eat those things but one bite. I'm just saying, check those things if they're labeled as misc produce.
>>
>>8988075
Ah, a small store, that makes sense, markets and small stores usually have much hotter chillis and in general much better produce, if I don't have any chillis that are ready on my chilli plant I'll nip down to the local markets and get some there since I know they'll have ones that are actually hot.

I'm referring to the regular supermarkets, every time I've gotten chillis from the supermarket they've never really been all that hot.
>>
File: IMG_20170529_043955.jpg (438KB, 1120x1680px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170529_043955.jpg
438KB, 1120x1680px
>>8988075
Well, I guess I see two because this is sterile dirt and other seeds wouldn't exist in it.
They're just staying microscopic for right now. They had to be pollinated by a nearby ghost or reaper, I can see that stuff being grown abundantly in mexico. Maybe even habanero pollination + full sun + dry soil and mutations. All I know is they are probably going to be too dangerous to even touch the plant.

2 Cups like this, 14 seeds each in groups of two. Other cup is still brown.
>>
>>8988091
Nice, probably a good idea to put some fertilizer or something in the dirt, sterile dirt isn't very good for growing shit.

But yeah, cross pollination definitely can drive up the heat, I've got some jalapeno's growing in my garden and they're fairly hot for a jalapeno, anyway, I've got some hungarian wax peppers and capsicum growing nearby and they've taken on the heat of the jalapeno, confused the fuck out of me at first until I realized it's cause I had the jalapeno is growing nearby.

And yeah the conditions it grows in contributes to the heat, I live in Australia and my chillis get far hotter in summer since it gets really dry and extremely sunny in summer where I am, I'd imagine it's the same shit in Mexico and the southern states.
>>
>>8988029
If you google chili cook-off, there's one that posts the recipes of all the winning chilis. The old recipes had different chiles and spices and stuff. Nowadays most winning chilis are made with a combination of different pre-made hot sauces and spice mixes.
>>
>>8988111
Really, wow, that's pretty gay, they should make a rule against using hotsauce and premade spice mixes.
>>
>>8988107
Fertilizer does not go in food in my house man.

Yeah this dirt sucks but I want no pests near my sprouts and seeds. I have 10lbs of clay, I am planning on drying it out, powdering it and mixing it into water for distribution.

You just can't get away with sterilized bone dry used coffee/tea, the mold just doesn't quit on that shit even though this super high acidity plant would love coffee. I'm always trying to improve my organic fert library, but enrichment is barely needed for anything I have and I have high hopes for the clay.
>>
>>8988048
/ck/ is for the discussion of food and cooking. Don't know anything about chili or have no insight on a thread topic? Hide the thread and move on. Thanks.
>>
>>8988131
Well I use the shit at the bottom of my backyard compost bin as fertilizer, makes a huge difference mate, if you've got a backyard compost bin I'd definitely recommend trying it otherwise I'm sure you can find good compost fertilizer somewhere nearby if you don't live in the middle of a big city.

If you don't have a compost bin or can't find any compost locally there's organic fertilizers out there, never used them myself though so I dunno how well they work
>>
>>8988029
>>8988029
Little place in town that just opened makes chili. I love chili, so I ordered some.

It was mush. It tasted alright, but was so mush that you couldn't even chew it.

I asked the cook and he said that's the way he likes to make it. I like to chew my food a little.
>>
>>8988146
Weird, it shouldn't be mush, even if you use ground beef, sounds like it was overcooked
>>
>>8988150
It had ground beef, yeah. No beans. He would have it sitting in a slowcooker all day. He preps all the veg and stuff. He just likes chili that way. I just won't order it again. A shame, since it's a nice little place.
>>
>>8988144
I don't have one, not that I couldn't make one and use it, but I have to stress the importance of keeping pests away from my indoor plants. And fecal matter.

I don't have just two or three plants, I have up to 800 stalks in here, organic, and I can not bring a plague into my house like flies and tater bugs. I am working on it.

Not one of my plants has an issue with deficiency or disease, tomatoes are shedding their lower leaves which is normal around flower.
>>
>>8988157
Yeah, that's weird, if I use ground beef I brown it and add it towards the end.

I usually use chunks of chuck beef and I let simmer for a good 2 hours or so on the stove though, turns out great, I honestly prefer chunky chilli over chilli with ground beef.

>>8988159
Fully composted stuff shouldn't be riddled with pests or have any literal shit in it unless you've been shitting in it, I only put fruit and veggie scraps in mine.

I haven't had any problems with pests with my plants and I grow them outside, might just be where I live though or I'm just lucky

I did used to get the occasional bird eating my shit so I put up some sort of wire screen
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.