[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Have you cooked for large crowds? I'm about to go to Humboldt

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 1

File: 2-1024x681.jpg (119KB, 1024x681px) Image search: [Google]
2-1024x681.jpg
119KB, 1024x681px
Have you cooked for large crowds? I'm about to go to Humboldt and work 35 consecutive days cooking lunch and dinner for 25 marijuana trimmers. I have my menu planned and still need to price out food at Costco. My budget is 150 a day in food. I'm planning to prepare each of the following daily: soup, salad, lunch and dinner. Very remote, shopping is done every two weeks. Any tips are greatly appreciated. Also I have 25 years experience as a short order cook under my belt.
>>
>>8983576
>150 a day for 25 people
>6 bucks a day

You're obviously going to want to stock up on the essentials, such as truffle oil

The best part about shopping every 2 weeks is having to make your own fresh bread.

2 weeks of food for 25 people.. you're gonna need a fucking dump truck.
>>
oh god, OP, i don't even know where to begin. stock up on beans/lentils, onions, stock/bullion, greens, and stuff to bake bread if you can
>>
>$150 a day
>In humboldt
Good fucking luck
>>
We take the typical Humboldt type truck and trailer to Costco. Plan on making bread, going to take my kitchen aid mixer with me. I just have never shopped for so much and not have the availability to get to town for a two week to e span Not 6 bucks an hour, 30. Sesame oil is the fanciest I'm going to go..
>>
>>8983603
Thanks anon. Already on the shopping list.
>>
>>8983612
again, stock up on beans/lentils, bread making supplies, and i guess a fuckton of like chicken thighs. they're easy to cook and flavorful. think stews and bbq's.
>>
>>8983612
>going to take my kitchen aid mixer with me.

I hope its a 25 quart floor mounted unit - though i am not familiar with kitchen aide making something like that.

>>8983612
>Not 6 bucks an hour, 30.

I meant 6 bucks per person per day for food.

Get the making for ham and beans and rice. I hope you have a 10 gallon pot.

Tell em they all get cold cereal for breakfast, and that at the price of meals around there they are lucky to even have that.

Holy shit... you are in over your head.
>>
Serve them all a bullet to each of their heads
>>
>>8983576
>Very remote, shopping is done every two weeks.
>cooking lunch and dinner for 25 marijuana trimmers

What is the refrigeration setup?

Can you hold 14 days worth of cold food for 25 people?
>>
>>8983642
Two reach I freezers and two refrigerators
>>
>>8983634
Gluten free of course.
>>
>>8983576
>Marijuana trimmers
I thought they were playing with army men on a desert storm setting
>>
God fucking damn I miss living in Arcata
>>
>>8983576
>$6.00 per person, per day.
Ah ha ha ha ha ha! Hope they like beans and rice.

>I have 25 years experience as a short order cook
Then why the fuck are you asking us? We're way to busy posting "for me" and "do americans really" threads.
>>
DUDE
>>
>>8983576
I'm assuming they are going to be working pretty hard trimming. Then again trimming marijuana kinda makes me think they'll be smoking so maybe not working as hard but definitely hungry. I've done agricultural fieldwork before and I was running about 2,500 to 3,000 calories a day. I suggest lots of eggs (fried, scrambled, omelettes), potatoes (hasbrowns, homefries, mash with gravy), and pancake/biscuit/french toast for breakfasts. Soup for 25 every day sounds like a real pain unless you have a history if cooking gallons of soup at a time but I suggest hearty fare, Irish stew, chili, and soups with lots of grains and root vegetables, maybe chowders. For salads I suggest boosting up the calorie counts with a small amount of chopped up chicken and shredded cheese, and loading a bunch of sweet corn and black beans into it and using really heavy sweet dressings. Like a bbq chopped salad. Lunch tuna or chicken salad sandiwiches, coleslaw, potato salad, macaroni salad, mac n cheese good bulk dishes. Dinner: Pasta, sooo much pasta. Spaghetti with marinara, penne with bolognaise. fettuccine alfredo, lasagne. Give em fresh bread and butter and olive oil and thats perfect. When I did field work, I got back to the kitchen and was told it was spaghetti tonight I ate myself sick. Always make extra for people doing hard labor, working hungry fucking sucks. If your budget gets tight rice and beans and make some tortillas.
>>
>>8984600
Thanks for the solid advice. My menu is right on track with your suggestions. I guess I shouldn't second guess myself. Seems like I got this in the bag so to speak. Thanks anon.
>>
>>8984648
Just to mention a few things that when I was doing field work were godsend morale dishes were sloppy joes, sausage/egg/cheese breakfast sandwiches, hotdogs, and pulled pork. Also two things I remember that came up is that interactive food where you kinda build it yourself was always better than someone just ladling slop into a bowl. Just being able to do the toppings on a hotdog yourself or make a taco was somehow way more enjoyable than being handed a giant bowl of stew. Last think was that having gatorade/lemonade/punch powder mix made life way easier and kept us hydrated. Last think is I suggest is buying a giant bag of fun size candy bars and a whole lot of soft drinks. It seems hella juvenile but being randomly handed a couple small snickers and a ice cold coke right after lunch is the fucking best. Last thing I would mention that you would probably have to check with your employers, but having a random beer day is fucking awesome. Just being randomly given two beers out of nowhere one night was like fucking heaven.
>>
>>8983984
>>$6.00 per person, per day.
>Ah ha ha ha ha ha! Hope they like beans and rice.

Worked for a festival in Switzerland, even here with such a budget you can make some very decent meals fuckhead
>>
>>8984706
I like the candy bar idea! I can see your point. Sundays are a beer day, to my understanding. Will be using multiple crockpots for soups and chilis. Plan on making my own bread and portions of 2 for all. The trimmers are already accustomed to Tang and lemonade. I'm off the hook for breakfast they eat cold cereal and fruit.
>>
>>8983995
WEED
>>
>>8984750
Yea, I guess the point I was trying to make is that if you do alot of tough physical work out in the boondocks you don't have alot of energy for much recreational stuff or much access to it. Eating meals together becomes most of the social interaction and the foods pretty important to that. Having two bad meals in a row can basically make you want to kill someone and having great meals makes you sleep tight and work hard.
>>
>>8984737
>festival
>the same as cooking three meals a day for two weeks for field hands
apples and oranges, friend
>>
>>8983977
The beauty of the land is unparalleled
>>
My menu is to be pork free. This leaves me with alot of chicken and beef dishes. Thighs, ground beef, and rump roast cuts. Also I will be making 2 vegitarian dishes per day. ( not hard core vegans, I can use chicken stock)
>>
I do have a slight concern that theme days might not go over well, like 1 day is all asian dishes, 1 day Italian, 1 day all Jamaican..etc..
>>
>>8984837
>vegitarian

Americans attempting simple things like spelling is always good for a laugh.
>>
>>8984859
Too busy selling drugs to attend school.
>>
>>8983576
what sort of tips are you looking for if your menu is already planned and you got refrigeration, shopping etc all figured out? I dont really get it, but id like to help if you specify
>>
>>8985079
I wasn't sure if I am overlooking anything. I think I just second guess myself too much. I want to make a great impression so I can return and make more money. DESU all the advice I have received is already in play. Stocking up on the essentials and I plan on making bread, as suggested. I guess I could take the post down but I like the attention.
>>
Not DESU. DIDN'T PRO OF RAD DAMNIT.WAS supposed to type " Due to" UHHGg!
>>
>>8983576
For me it's 2100 McChickens every two weeks.
>>
>>8984827
I miss biking to the beach. And the dirty girls>>8984837
>>
How can I get a job as a weed trimmer? Does it pay well?
>>
>>8985195
>And the dirty girls
Pure white trash. I love it. Hillbillies do it right.
>>8985230
>How can I get a job as a weed trimmer? Does it pay well?
It can pay well. Just go there and you'll find a job. It ain't hard.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.