[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

An Aldi just opened up near me. What do I get?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 18

File: Aldi_logo.jpg (246KB, 1502x1786px) Image search: [Google]
Aldi_logo.jpg
246KB, 1502x1786px
An Aldi just opened up near me. What do I get?
>>
Mostly fruits, veggies, dairy and meat. They're probably way cheaper than what you pay for now. Nuts and wheat too.

Most other things have that offbrand taste that rubs me the wrong way.

Aldis is a pretty great place, wish there was one where I live.
>>
A noticible lower quality of anything more complex than white loaf bread and things that are already low quality/effort foods that isn't that much cheaper than the other options unless you are used to shopping at whole foods and trader joes. Oh, and lots of homeless people.
>>
The veg is absolutely fine. The meat is probably real too. You can find ALDI brand chocolate bars that taste literally the exact same for at least half the price. Cheaper booze. Literally everything is cheap.
>>
>>8969820
Out of town
>>
>>8969855
>implying whole foods is at the same price point as trader joe's
TJ's is infinitely cheaper than WF.
>>
Reasonable quality at a reasonable price.
>>
I was drunk last time I went into an Aldi.
I ended up buying some food containers, a badminton set and a toaster.
Random as fuck but I do use all 3 items regularly.
>>
>>8969872
>food containers
>toaster
hehe so random xD
>>
Chicken McNuggets rip-offs
>>
>>8969820
Keep an eye on dairy, the one I go to gets some absolutely amazing deals on butter and eggs from time to time, like $0.39-0.49 for a carton of eggs and $1.99 or less for a pound of butter.

Other than that, my other staples include salami, cheese (chedder/mozz/colby blocks can be cheap as shit, also their white chedder's pretty good for the price and those artsy sundried tomato+basil half-rounds are nice too) wraps, brioche rolls, and they had some decent cheap breakfast sausage patties. And the fucking snacks carousel that's changing from week to week, it's always neat to see what new stuff they've brought in and trying it out.

Meat's kinda' meh though, they get a lot of it from some appleton farms outlet so stay away.
>>
>>8969882
That is lidl...
>>
>>8969943
Oh right.
I always get their inventory confused.
>>
>>8969820
>Be me
>Be from really poor as fug family
>Still manage to eat well because we buy everything at ALDI

Not even a sponsored post.jpg, just genuinely decent value for low pricing, you can get better, but you'll need to pay more. For their price bracket ALDI is GOAT
>>
File: Logo_Hofer.svg.png (81KB, 2000x2410px) Image search: [Google]
Logo_Hofer.svg.png
81KB, 2000x2410px
>>8969820
Avocados, fucking avocados, tons of it. Also strawberries, cheese, chickenmeat...

I fucking love my Hofer
>>
>>8969859
Do all Aldi's sell booze? I usually go to my local liqueur store but an Aldi's opened up near by and might go there for that.
>>
Do they have good tomato sauce?
>>
I wouldn't get anything but produce and dry goods
Meat is shit at all the aldis I've been to.
>>
Your temper will flare constantly at an Aldis. Super chaotic, everyone is rude as fuck, people in the way, lines are super long, and you're expected to pay for carts & bags.

Also it's filled to the brim with niggers and spics
>>
>>8970437
That's not a problem with the store, it's a problem with your area and with your /pol/-riddled brain.
>>
>>8969820
I usually get pork chops from there since they look pretty good.
Most of the fruits and veggies I see at mine were on their last leg. Like they'll spoil within the week fridge or otherwise.
In some weird rotation the frozen section would get some pretty good brands of pizzas or frozen chicken breasts or something. Always worth a look.
>>
>>8970437
While Aldi tends to have worse clientele than any stores nearby, mine is alright anytime and is fairly quiet when you would expect a grocery store to normally be which makes a lot of the chaos less of a problem. They're also in the process of redoing/expanding most stores which helps.

As for >>8969820 if you're trying to be as thrifty as possible (which if you're at Aldi you probably are) check the Aldi finds/clearance areas for Items that are limited stock. Meats are generally provided by Tyson which while not great are ok, and vegetable age is generally worse than elsewhere but can vary depending on when your store restocks.

Wednesday is also meat special day-in mines flyer (which you can get online) it's $.69/lb chicken thighs.
Also bags are extra but you can bring your own, you need a quarter for your cart and you bag your own groceries.

I just keep a big cooler bag in the car and dump everything in there.
>>
Their alcohol is top tier, especially the wine and whiskey. Frequently wins taste awards against stuff that is like three times the price
>>
>>8970036
Ösi detected
>>
File: 00657epc.jpg (363KB, 1000x1338px) Image search: [Google]
00657epc.jpg
363KB, 1000x1338px
>>8969943
lidl is GOAT
>>
File: 302993.jpg?v=3.jpg (14KB, 300x141px) Image search: [Google]
302993.jpg?v=3.jpg
14KB, 300x141px
The greatest chocolate.
>>
>>8970437
>you're expected to pay for carts & bags
Everyone already knows about the carts, but at the Aldi I go to they keep a stack of boxes at the entryway for customers if they don't have bags.

I usually buy hummus and the spicy veggie burgers are alright. Their Greek yogurt is runny but they occasionally stock fage brand for cheap. The cereal usually tastes bad.

At one point they had pumpkin ice cream that was legitimately the best I've ever tasted
>>
>>8970661
THIS
>>
>>8969820
Avoid meat and fruit. Everything else is ace
>>
Get some top notch oatmeal cookies.
>>
>>8970661
I love the chili chocolate they do.
>>
>>8970411
Just use ketchup instead, cheaper.
>>
>>8969845
>Mostly fruits, veggies,
>and meat.
Better be trolling. Those are the exact 3 things one needs to avoid when going to aldi.
>>
>>8970203
No they don't all sell booze.

t. New Jersey
>>
>>8970709
>NORTH America
>Aldi SÜD

shit makes no sense
>>
>>8970699
I will end you
>>
>>8970716
What, did you not know that Aldi exists in North America?
>>
I usually pick up my veggies and fruits from aldi, as well as whatever their meat special is for the week. Their kefir is also damn tasty and cheaper than other places. Nut butters there are also prime
>>
>>8970736
The joke is there are two Aldis, North and South (= Süd).
USA has Aldi Süd.
>>
>>8969875
>the badminton set is normal

fuck off limey scum
>>
>>8970748
>>8970736
Aldi was founded by the brothers Theo and Karl Albrecht. They got into a dispute because of the sale of tobacco, they solved it by dividing Aldi into two chains: Aldi Nord for the north of Germany and Aldi Süd for the south of Germany. Aldi Süd has been expanding internationally for some years and is regarded as the better Aldi, but Trader Joes belongs to Aldi Nord.
Karl and Theo Albrecht used to be the richest men in Germany, they died some years ago though.
>>
All of the basics. Try whatever you churn through a lot of.

Good or not noticeably different: Bread, milk, eggs, cereal, tea/coffee, deodorant, shampoo, laundry powder, hand wash, TP (higher quality types). Cleaning products. Painkiller tablets. Sometimes good candy and definitely the chocolate. Mints and gum. Noodles and crisps.

The fruit and vegetables are alright. Cheap tins of tuna in a few kinds, a few type of soup cans available. The jars of peanut butter are a bit small from what I've seen but still good product if you cbf making another stop.

Don't often buy/haven't tried: I don't tend to buy the meat as one time it looked unpleasant (possible that was a one off but I am picky). The freezer section has a lot of icecream and frozen meals/snacks that don't look bad but not bought yet. Haven't tasted the cheeses. Haven't bought the bar soap. Not yet tried the booze.
>>
>>8969872
Kek
>>
>>8969882
THey taste like shit, desu
>>
>>8970780
Ah. Neat. Thanks, anon.
>>
>>8970681
Fruit's hit or miss but I get some damn fine oranges and bananas there from time to time, packaged mushrooms too. Nothing like buying a bunch and blanching them for freezer storage until I want to use them.
>>
The only thing I don't like about Aldi is that their choice and layout seems to change as often as the tides. I've seen entire items disappear from shelves, tag and all, not like they're out of stock but like they never had it there to begin with.

Also quantities. Want just one onion? Too bad, you have to buy a whole bag.

Aldi's good for getting really basic stuff for dirt cheap, but if you need anything less common, you'll have to go to a better grocery store.

Their chocolate is fucking delicious though.
>>
File: Mobile Paint Lalah.png (205KB, 431x447px) Image search: [Google]
Mobile Paint Lalah.png
205KB, 431x447px
OP here, thanks. I'll definitely get some chocolate, and I suppose I'll try some of their mozzarella too. The rest I'll see if it's good or not.
>>
>>8972292
>Also quantities. Want just one onion? Too bad, you have to buy a whole bag.

Its the gift and the curse of Aldi. But usually you end up ahead unless you truly only require one. 2 limes at the closest grocery store cost me the same as a bag of limes at Aldi
>>
File: image.jpg (58KB, 373x358px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
58KB, 373x358px
I work at ALDI AMA
>>
>>8972681
Does putting away those pallets at 5am still make you want to kill yourself as much as it did when you started?
>>
File: image.png (44KB, 1417x1417px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
44KB, 1417x1417px
>>8972693
We actually start at 6am now, I don't mind it most days it just sucks when your coworkers can barely keep up of that (I've worked here for just about 4 years so besides managers I'm pretty much the number 1 guy). More general info:
-get paid 13.30 an hour
-Really great benefits
-I'm male, but coworkers are ALL female besides my store manager
I like my job but I'd rather be in a trade
>>
>>8972717
Nice, I worked for aldi way back for a few months and quit specifically because of the ridiculous pallet times, stupid early start and lack of staff forcing me to do twice as many loads in the amount of time 1 person was supposed to do in the same time
Messed around in kitchens for a long ass time after I quit aldi before moving over to a grocery store restaurant (hyvee grille)
Huge downgrade from what I was doing in real kitchens but they pay about 13-14 an hour starting and give raises every 6mos-1year depending on how good you are.
Just saving up to open my own restaurant so I don't mind working in a shithole for a couple years. gonna have to find a second job to save up in the amount of time I need, so I'll probably crawl back to an aldi and hope they need part time workers
>>
>>8972727
Ya pallet times are BS but if it takes one coworker like an hour to do pallets and they don't say a word sometimes I don't give a hoot if it takes me a couple extra minutes for a pallet (pallets at least now should take you around 40 minutes depending)
>>
File: 1483924809313.png (666KB, 872x653px) Image search: [Google]
1483924809313.png
666KB, 872x653px
>>8972681
Can you get me hired.
>>
>>8972738
Not OP, but aldi is really easy to get a job with even if you're an autist.
Just make sure you mention how much you love the conservative values of the company and all the shit they do to streamline the shopping experience and save costs.
Also, make sure you can handle an inconsistent/non-fixed schedule and have at least a little experience in retail if you want a guaranteed spot. They pay a lot, but expect you to put in a lot of work for them so make sure you're prepared for that
>>
>>8972742
I've worked in retail for 4 plus years, I've just been down on my luck for the past couple of months. Plus last time I applied for Aldi while I was at another job I never heard anything back.
>>
>>8972738
Good luck. Even with the store a managers recommendation it took 3 months and 4 interviews. It's literally Satan. It kinda makes sense though cause we'll get over 10 apps in a week at just our store and the district manager can only do so much a day. My advice is just turn in an application every week till you get a callback. Also if you can lift over 40 pounds, can't deal with 9-10 hour shifts starting at 6am and closing as late as 11pm, and can't deal with irate customers on a hourly basis just try elsewhere
>>
>>8970702
Why? I've never had a problem with them before
>>
>>8972752
I always hear of Aldi being difficult, but the stores around me seem so small. Plus an old manager I had at Target moved to Aldi's for a brief period and he hated it. Are the stores just understaffed?
>>
>>8972761
Most are and there's a high turnover rate. If you get hired at a shitty store with managers that don't give a hoot then big surprise it sucks just like any other place. A lot of new employees last shorter than a month since most can't handle the work, a and it doesn't help that most are smaller females or older gals. It's a very physical job which not many people are expecting when they're hired.
>>
>>8972771
A lot of people don't understand that even though the cashiers sit on their ass while they ring shit up, you gotta come in early as fuck and move thousands of pounds of product to the shelves every morning and then do practically everything else the store requires because they don't hire a lot of people in order to keep wages high and prices low.
I was told I'd be sitting down and ringing shit in for 12 bux and hour for 8 hours a day by friends who didn't even work for the company, but got fucking bent over when I actually got a job there
>>
>>8972774
Fully agree we have 4 people doing a 20 person job. Everyone does EVERYTHING
>>
>>8972771
>It's a very physical job
I'm not the most physically active guy there is, but if I can handle repeatedly carrying shelves, hauling tubs of products and building end caps do you think I'd be good to handle what Aldi could throw at me? I'm seriously considering giving this another shot. 4 interviews sound brutal though.
>>
>>8972780
It only takes 2 or 3 interviews if you're not a fucking schmuck to be honest, but you'll definitely be waiting a month to actually get the job
You'll be fine if you can handle all the regular retail bullshit, plus having to come in at 5:50 or 6am to unload an unrealistically large amount of product on the shelves in a very limited amount of time, and then be expected to do 5 people's work all by yourself while also making sure to get customers out the door in an unrealistically fast fashion
>>
>>8972780
Ya like I said as long as you can lift 40 pounds over and over again for a few hours you should be good. Not everyone gets the 4 interview treatment but they really want to make sure that you won't quit after a month. Just make sure to enthasize how good you are at customer service and research the company a bit to get a grip on their morals and values to recite how much you love what ALDI does compared to other grocery stores.
>>
File: 1487547046221.jpg (26KB, 380x428px) Image search: [Google]
1487547046221.jpg
26KB, 380x428px
>>8972800
>get a grip on their morals and values to recite how much you love what ALDI does compared to other grocery stores.
I'm still willing to try this but yeesh.
>>
>>8972810
Have you never interviewed for a corporation before?
That's pretty standard. Gotta make yourself seem like you're into the company and take the extra effort to learn what they actually do to try to set themselves apart from the others in the industry in order to sound like a good candidate.
>>
>>8972810
Hey you gotta do what you gotta do to get the job right? Nothing wrong with sucking up a bit and the higher ups love it when you shit on Walmart haha
>>
>>8972814
I've only ever interviewed for Target as my first job 5 years ago and the questions were very basic. The two jobs I got after that were just from knowing people. I'm very out of practice with this.
>>
File: P1130855.jpg (312KB, 1283x1295px) Image search: [Google]
P1130855.jpg
312KB, 1283x1295px
Their refrigerated 'take and bake' pizzas are awesome, I'll never go back to frozen brands as long as ALDI is around. 2 of these pizzas last 4 days for me, which comes out to $2.50/day.
>>
File: 059242997379c3c3180148260100037f.jpg (837KB, 1000x1225px) Image search: [Google]
059242997379c3c3180148260100037f.jpg
837KB, 1000x1225px
Moser Roth chocolate. Praline and that summer edition passion fruit one are the best. They also come packaged in small bar form, great for carrying around and generally not being a fatass.
>>
Blue pop
Oven chips
Tendies
>>
>>8969820
In the fall buy some of their pumpkin cider.
>>
>>8972822
The Pepperoni is dope af. It has the circle cuts and diced pepperoni just to spice things up
>>
>>8972681
Why is Pearl such a shit
>>
File: moserroth3.jpg (52KB, 600x490px) Image search: [Google]
moserroth3.jpg
52KB, 600x490px
>>8970661

You seem to have posted the wrong image, friend
>>
>>8969820 >>8969845 this also watch there weekly specials, they get new things in for a week at a time, I got a good leaf blower, cordless lithium ion for 40$, works great, better than the 100 dollar one I got from sears a while back, recently got a pump up garden sprayer for 7$ better than the 15 $ ones else where, got a "vitamix style" blender 69$, If they don't sell out they usually drop the price once the week is over.
>>
>>8969859
I'm surprised they don't have a cheap beer, Walmart has rockdale you would think Aldi would have a cheap light beer for 10$ a case but there cheapest is 7 or 8$ a 12 pack here. (South Carolina)
>>
File: Granin_toast.png (219KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Granin_toast.png
219KB, 640x360px
OP here again, I got some ground beef, sausage, mozzarella, and a beach chair. They didn't have the chocolate, sadly. Really good prices for everything.
>>
File: xhKU5nI.gif (143KB, 500x402px) Image search: [Google]
xhKU5nI.gif
143KB, 500x402px
>>8975255
Aldi is the only reason my roommate and I didn't starve in college. I remember going and getting Mac and cheese for 25 cents a box. I am old
>>
OP here, made burgers. They were delicious.
>>
>>8972676
It's a waste though. I can't tell you how many times my mom would buy a bag of potatoes only to have 80% of them rot before we used them.
Okay it only happened two times, but you get my point.
>>
>>8969820
The same things you would get at any other store. Selection is somewhat limited, especially on fresh produce, so I always stop by one of those Walmart markets after I'm done at Aldi. The only Aldi generic I've had any issue with is their soda, which is awful.

Shop in the morning or early afternoon because they do run out/get picked through and bring a quarter to check out a cart. NEVER shop there on the 1st of the month (that's when EBT refills).
>>
>>8970411
About the same as any other canned tomato sauce.

>>8970437
>you're expected to pay for carts & bags.
You're expected to bring bags, or you can scavenge shipping boxes during busy hours to carry your shit in. You get the cart quarter back unless you're too lazy to push the cart back to the pile

>everyone is rude as fuck
>niggers and spics
Location and timing. I shop Saturday morning at one located near a white neighborhood and everyone is polite as fuck.
>>
File: 1493058910481s.jpg (2KB, 55x125px) Image search: [Google]
1493058910481s.jpg
2KB, 55x125px
>be german
>shop at aldi
>no stigma

feelsgoodman
>>
>>8969820
Tortilla chips are decent and 1/3 cost

Jalapeno rings...are good but occasionally have the stem ends....
>>
Aldi süd is god tier
Aldi nord is dogshit
>>
>>8970437

should have stayed in school, chum
now you live with poor people
my sides!
>>
>>8969820
Branded goods.

Do not touch the produce section.
>>
>>8969820
Their whiskey is award winning.
Thread posts: 91
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.