[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sous Vide Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_0029.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0029.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
I've gotten an immersion circulator recently, and have gotten some success with cooking chicken, a pot roast, and some onsentamago.

I mostly got this for the eggs, since when I try it in the oven, I need a thermometer and have to sacrifice a few eggs to make sure they're cooked correctly.

I did notice a slightly noticeable improvement in moisture and texture over traditional cooking methods, but nothing groundbreaking. What are some applications that I can use sous vide for other than eggs that can take full advantage of my immersion circulator?
>>
Am I the only one who thinks sous-vide just feels fucking wrong?

I refuse to partake in this heresy, I can't give logical reasons why I hate the idea of it, but my intuition tells me that even if its not a meme, its not the way to properly cook something.
>>
>>8949220

So you refuse to even try something you have never experienced? I don't know many sounds like you have internal issues with it you won't admit (price?).

>>8949196

Steak, pork chops, small roasts, creme brule, hollaindaise, fish, etc. Pretty much any smaller sized proteins. Of course you have to finish somehow, but I'm sure you knew that.
>>
Try chicken at 60C. Make sure to hold to at 60C for 30 minutes (so 1:15 total cooking time for a breast) to pasturise. You will see a big difference compared to 'normal' chicken.

Also fish. Salmon at 50C for 45 minutes is divine.

Custards. Things like lemon curd, crème brûlée et cetera are amazing when 0% of the egg used for thickening is overcooked.

Braises. Short ribs at 60C for 48 hours can not be done by traditional methods. You get the texture of a tender, medium cooked piece of NY strip with the full flavour of short ribs.

If I can give you a source for recipies: ChefSteps
>>
>>8949220
It's more about the precision than anything, really. Getting a precise and consistent temperature is the goal of sous vide.

Of course, when I have to sear/brown the thing anyways, it seems like it's a lot more trouble than it's worth...

I mostly got the thing for making onsentamago. It's absolutely godly when you stir that into noodles. Almost like eating a savoury custard.

I've heard that sous-vide vegetables intensify the flavour, so I might try that...
>>
>>8949273

> it seems like it's a lot more trouble than it's worth

You sous vide whichever protein you want to make and then sear it for ~30 seconds a side at the hottest temperature your stove/grill/etc can go. Given that the sous vide portion is hands-off, it is incredibly easy.
>>
>>8949265
>>8949271
I'll keep those in mind. Thanks!

Maybe this'll get my mother to stop over cooking pork chops...
>>
>>8949282

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZyxVTbPb_I

If you find Grant annoying I don't blame you, but try to ignore that because the methods and overall meal they make it very good.
>>
>>8949265
>So you refuse to even try something you have never experienced? I don't know many sounds like you have internal issues with it you won't admit (price?).
I've experienced it, I don't have a logical good reason against. Its not the price either, I have lots of expensive kitchen shit.

The food it makes is fine, I don't think its unsafe, I just feel like it doesn't have a place in legitimate cooking anymore than a microwave does.

Something about vacuuming a bag of food to cook in a on the grid contraption doesn't feel right. Good cuisine shouldn't require something like that if there is a simpler and equally adequate method available.
>>
>>8949293

Microwaving and sous vide cooking are nothing alike. Microwaving's only advantage is speed while destroying flavour and texture.

Sous vide allows for better consistency, texture (depending on what you're going for), precision and gives you the ability to do things impossible with any other form of cooking (custardy eggs, quicker fried chicken, pickling, etc).

Blumenthal, who has ~6 michelin stars, has said that "sous-vide cooking is the single greatest advancement in cooking technology in decades".

It is certainly more than microwaving.
>>
File: 1479511469822.jpg (41KB, 399x285px) Image search: [Google]
1479511469822.jpg
41KB, 399x285px
>>8949310
>froggy meme stars
>an argument
>>
I can't sous vide anymore since I got a Russian virus that threatened to ruin my food if I didn't send a bitcoin to someone in Siberia

I'm already paying Anova for my daily SousCredits, I can't afford this anymore. Going back to microwave
>>
>>8949293

dude, you've clearly never worked in a high volume kitchen, because the immersion circulator solves a million production related problems.

steak? season it with salt/pepper, and vac pack it with a good amount of butter, garlic, and whichever aromatics or seasonings you want. sous vide til rare, sear and cook to desired cookedness to order

eggs? oh shit, i work brunch and sell 50 orders of eggs benny a day, but poaching eggs sucks! just cook the eggs at 142 degrees for 1.5 hours (i think, i'm drunk and its been a while since ive worked brunch) and you have 200 perfectly poached eggs that just need to be cracked into some warm water and then sold

>pork belly/shortrib/pig skin/octopus/squid

literally the best way to do these things.

you're objectively wrong, and i haven't even mentioned all the weird shit you can do with eggs and veggies and whatever
>>
File: IMG_0903.jpg (130KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0903.jpg
130KB, 960x1280px
i did this thing a few years back where i took a whole chicken, completely flayed the fuck out of it and rolled it into a log before sous viding it for six hours. produced this monstrosity. then i cut it into thick slices and fried them off for burgers.

but the best thing i ever made sous vide was calamari. i cooked chorizo down in clarified butter then strained it off. made a wild rice pilaf with the chorizo and some shellfish stock, tomato and langoustines. then i turned the squid inside out and stuffed it with the pilaf before sous viding it for three hours in the chorizo butter. served it over a salad as a starter.

sous vide steak is a meme. it's good insurance for really thick cuts but the results are not significantly better than a traditional method. i really don't think anyone needs to give a fuck about their steak having no grey band and it's perfectly possible to eliminate that without sous vide anyway. fuck steak.

but what this guy said >>8949271 about short rib is true. i really, really like taking tough cuts and serving them med rare as a steak. tons of flavour and i like the texture (it's not exactly like a steak though and some people find it odd)
>>
>>8951235

chicken balloutine, rabbit roulade, rillette, offal torchons, etc..

it's such a useful tool for somebody who knows how to use it
>>
>>8949280
this
>>
>>8951235
>sous vide steak is a meme.
>a meme
Opinion discarded.
>>
Sous vide? More like who peed
>>
>>8949196
Enjoy your BPA food.
>inb4 BPA-free meme
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.