[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the deal with farmed fish?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

Corporate shills tell me farmed fish is not only safe, but that I should be consuming as much of it as I physically can, while food conspiracy theorists insist that a fillet of farmed fish is literally just a slab of reconstituted mercury and antibiotic-laced GMOs, and that instead of funding the Big Fishery cartels I aught to pay their best friend $49.99 per 100g for their 100% organic vegan line-caught soy-lmon. Who is right? Obviously it makes sense to buy the best quality ingredients you can afford, but for those times when I might not have as much money as I'd like am I really going to suffer for the occasional piece of Norwegian Farmed Salmon?
>>
Yeah, I go along with what I can afford too, but never eating farmed fish would mean that I can't eat as much fish.

I just try to avoid stuff imported from another country, which seems easy enough. The cheapest grocery store shit is typically farmed from southeast asia and typically looks and tastes like garbage.

Antibiotics are a risk for sure, but I'm not about to worry if the fish were fed GMO plant matter, and I think the risk of mercury poisoning actually decreases with farmed fish.
>>
the only fish you should be eating are the ones you catch, if you don't live near enough to a place where you can catch, then you shouldn't be eating fish.
>>
First of all, mercury is only a concern with bigger fish which have very high amounts of it. Fatty fish like salmon is great for your health because of omega-3 fats (essential for you brain and heart). Secondly the selenium in fish binds to the trace amounts of mercury and pretty much detoxifies it. Can't fucking believe in this day and age people think beef is healthier to eat than fish. God fucking damn. Just look at the Japs, you never see them dropping dead from eating fish from their radioactive waters.
>>
>>8944650
locally farmed fish is fine. I've set up fish farms in a bunch of low-income housing communities. Cool programs - the fish crap in the water, the hyper-nutrient water is used to grow the fuck out of some produce, then the produce re-oxygenates the water and makes it clean for the fish to swim in. Nice closed system. Theres a UV filter to kill bacteria and some other stuff, but it all works pretty well. The system we had allowed people to work the farm and earn credits to take home fish and produce.

Bottom line - it works. and eating farm-raised fish is a million times better than eating all the processed box crap.
>>
>>8944892
nice, what country? I want to set one of these up, lots of rivers and ponds nearby
>>
>>8944892
nice, what country? I want to set one of these up, lots of rivers and ponds nearby
>>
>>8944650
It really depends on how their farmed, and probably most importantly what they eat. Think about cows on a small farm where they graze on grass in warm weather and silage in cold. Their meat is better to eat than CAFO raised cows because their diet better resembles what they evolved to eat. Same is true for chickens that have a yard to hunt and peck in vs chickens raised in sealed houses. Fish are the same way. If you just feed them the cheapest feed possible to get them big fast the meat will be nowhere as good as fish eating something that closely resembles their natural diet.
>>
>>8945083
>>8945090
nice my computer chugged along for a half hour trying to post
>>
>>8944892
That sounds pretty good actually.
>>
it's safe to eat

just not as delicious or nutritious because of the diet
>>
It's more ecologically responsible to eat farmed fish.
>>
>>8946234
lol no.
>>
It depends on the type of fish. Aquacultured tilapia, sure. On the other extreme is farmed salmon which is horrible for the environment.
>>
>>8946234
Enjoy your carcinogenic PCB's, the farm raised salmon certainly did.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.