[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /ck/ I'm looking for COFFEE THREAD

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 320
Thread images: 82

File: coffee-mug.jpg (100KB, 1024x651px) Image search: [Google]
coffee-mug.jpg
100KB, 1024x651px
do you know where it is?
>>
What grind size do you use for a moka pot?
I've been doing just a tad bit finer than drip but even then I get some grinds falling through the filter
>>
>>8940336
Shouldn't you be using a more course grind then?
>>
>>8940411
I actually just brewed a pot with a coarser grind, will report back.
>>
File: Inside-a-moka-pot-.jpg (523KB, 997x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Inside-a-moka-pot-.jpg
523KB, 997x1024px
>>8940336
I use fine grind, yes you can get few grinds in your brew but I feel that finer grind it makes better testing coffee, better more complete extraction.
I tried several times switching from finer to coarser and I settled on finer.
>>
>>8940336
Sometimes there are more experienced coffee freaks posting in Coffee Threads and let's hope they can give you more theory why finer grind is more preferable.
>>
>>8940484
as I said here
>>8940444
I did it by experimenting after reading theory behind it, but yes there is side effect of getting few grinds in your brew, but that is not a big deal in my opinion
>>
>>8940416
>>>8940411
>I actually just brewed a pot with a coarser grind, will report back.

...and he's never to be seen again

>>8940444
Funny, because for me, I found the perfect grind to be between drip and French press. So rather coarser. Do you drink lighter or darker roasts?
>>
>>8940484
For more flavour obviously.
Dice an onion/garlic w/e then finely chop it and see the difference.
Same shit with coffee.
>>
>>8940961
It was just a slight bit overextracted and on the verge of being too diluted.
Probably the best I can get on an electric stove
>>
>>8940974
false

im not gonna even bother posting in this cancer
>>
File: 1451110951534.png (460KB, 792x594px) Image search: [Google]
1451110951534.png
460KB, 792x594px
>he washes his french press after every use
>>
>>8940961
>Do you drink lighter or darker roasts?
I DON'T DRINK DARK ROASTS ANY MORE. JUST MEDIUM
After reading articles and scientific studies on health danger of dark burnt charred coffee beans (or any other food) that will cause cancer
I stopped using dark roast coffee beans. They are carcinogenic, (causing cancer) but coffee industry is hiding this information from coffee drinkers.
Besides dark roast coffee is deprived from all delicious flavors, it's just burnt charred taste.

There is a reason why roasting houses roasting green coffee beans to dark roast level.Very dishonest practice on behalf of the coffee industry.
>>
>>8941308
Please chug dark roast coffee for the rest of your life, faggot
>>
File: akari ^^.png (310KB, 441x623px) Image search: [Google]
akari ^^.png
310KB, 441x623px
Does anyone else enjoy the process of preparing coffee more than actually drinking it?

>the rich aroma that emanates from a freshly opened bag of whole bean coffee
>the thicc golden brown foam head that forms when you pour 200F water on top of your freshly ground coffee
then you swirl it around to submerge all the coffee grounds, and the foam starts cascading different colors
all the while the smell fills the whole kitchen, it smells so nice~
>>
>>8941734
And then you just pour it down the sink and start over, right?
>>
>>8941739
Oh no that would be a waste.
I like the coffee too, but making it is the best part!
>>
>>8941308
>muh acrylamemede :(

There ought to be a word invented for your specific breed of nu-male.
>>
What roast do you guys prefer? I generally stick to light roasts, but the best cup of coffee I ever had was a dark roast. I still get hard when I think about it.
>>
File: wIJeMOST.jpg (42KB, 399x399px) Image search: [Google]
wIJeMOST.jpg
42KB, 399x399px
whats /ck/'s preferred brewing method? I've been using a chemex for a while now and I love it, but I wanted to try a french press since I hear a lot of people talking it up.
>>
>>8942211
i'll sing the french press's praises all day, but if you don't like sludge at the bottom of your cup, get a really good burr grinder, because the metal filter will curl up with repeated use and always let some mud through
>>
>>8941308
Potatoes cause cancer.
All processed meats cause cancer.
"Causes cancer" when it comes to food is generally just media scaremongering for clicks.
>>
File: 1494863485541.png (19KB, 300x250px) Image search: [Google]
1494863485541.png
19KB, 300x250px
>>8941743
couldn't agree more anon, the whole process for making coffee is sometimes more exciting than actually drinking.

True patrician here
>>
>>8940484
MODS
>>
>>8942211
French Press and Vietnamese Filter
>>
Can anyone recommend a good canned coffee
>>
File: 1257002817956.jpg (147KB, 480x340px) Image search: [Google]
1257002817956.jpg
147KB, 480x340px
>French press Joe's Coffee
>keep it in freezer to keep it good

>tastes bad when I make it
>>
How in the fuck do you stop sucking at latte art

I've been at this shit five months and I struggle with even a basic bitch rosette
>>
>>8942333
sensitive much
call your momy
>>
File: sweet-soy-pepper-chicken-skewers.jpg (132KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
sweet-soy-pepper-chicken-skewers.jpg
132KB, 1024x576px
>>8941747
do you eat burnt charred bread or meat?
I don't thinks so, no normal self respected person is, so why do you consume burnt charred coffee that is known to give cancer,
in case of many people because they are not aware of this dishonest gimmick by coffee industry, in some cases people know but do it anyway,
same as those who smoke cigarettes or eat fast food hamburgers or drink coca-colas and other crap soft drinks
>>
>>8942249
in case of burnt charred food (including dark roast coffee) you have a choice not to consume carcinogenic foods.
just think about it, that green coffee bean was heated to such hight temperature that now is like soil after nuclear bomb explosion, all dead,
all the living elements in that green coffee bean are totally dead now, they are charred, they become carcinogenic now.

if you have any brains you would understand that, I don't give a shit what you consume, it's your life your body.
some anons here will make changes to type of coffee they consume,others will not, that's normal reaction.

coffee roasting houses laughing all the way to the bank selling you substandard coffee beans roasted to dark roast level only level those low quality coffee beans could be roasted to have some kind of taste to them,
if they were roasted to medium level they would taste like shit, so genius solution was to burn them to charr them & sell them at the same price as good quality medium roasted coffee beans, & they bullshit
you that this dark roast taste is desirable. BULLSHIT, it's just scum to sell low quality coffee beans.

If dark roast was the best roasting level why then not all coffee is roasted to that level, because is not true, best level is medium or even lower in some cases, at medium level the coffee bean is not dead yet,
medium roasting temperatures are not high enough yet to destroy all that is alive inside of the green coffee bean,all the sugars,proteins,oil, & other elements
DARK ROAST TEMPERATURES ARE CHARRING BURNING KILLING everything that is valuable inside of that green coffee bean.

but that's the only way they can sell those substandard low quality Robusta coffee beans, the better quality Robusta beans can be roasted to medium level and they taste good,
but low quality shit can only be sold if roasted to dark roast, medium roast makes them taste like wood chips.

that's the dirty secret coffee roasters are hiding from naive uneducated consumers.
>>
>>8944119
I've never seen dark roasts that looked like charcoal.
Even the darkest oiliest roast I've ever had had a prominent shade of brown and was glistening in oil.
>>
>>8944145
>and was glistening in oil.
glistening in oil is very bad sign for coffee beans
>>
>>8944152
i don't care, it tasted good
>>
>>8944119
Your level of bootyblasted is astounding.
>>
>>8944196
scientific medical facts.

yes it feels great exposing dishonesty of coffee industry.
>>
>>8944206
how old are you?
>>
>>8944217
Fellows will fall in line.
>>
File: 1455027329443.png (1MB, 912x905px) Image search: [Google]
1455027329443.png
1MB, 912x905px
>>8944217
oh lawdy
>>
>>8944215
I'm 1 year old
>>
coffee coffee coffee
>>
>>8941040
and sprays Chanel No.5 on it
>>
does anyone else have the experience of a bag of coffee tasting significantly better near the end of the bag compared to the beginning?
I mean, I know taste is supposed to improve and reach a peak after roasting, but I never notice a decline, and I only use enough for 1 cup per day.
>>
>>8945221
I've never gotten that.
Coffee always starts smelling more acidic after the 1 month mark, but it seems to respond well to boiling water, maybe you're just burning the coffee and it only becomes tolerable after the beans have started going stale.
>>
>>8945280
Well, I never buy a big enough bag to last over a month. Around 3 weeks at most.
What do you mean burning? I don't do the roasting myself, and experience this with both light and dark roasts, though I have to say the effect is I think more noticeable with darker roasts. E.g. I just finished a bag of dark roasted Costa Rican coffee that I got from a local roaster, and the last few cups were significantly smoother and more "chocolatey" than earlier ones. Not to say the earlier cups were at all bad tasting.
>>
File: crema.jpg (86KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
crema.jpg
86KB, 1280x720px
>>8940416
I never get grinds in my coffee with a Moka pot, the only thing is I wish I knew how to make my coffee come out with a nice caramel brown crema all the time instead of just black as fuck.

A brikka pot is cheating.
>>
>>8942211
I prefer espresso
>>
>>8945362
All this taste differences might be due to different foods you are eating those days.
As with vine foods affect taste of it, same vine on a day or days when you eat different foods might taste better or worst.
Same could be with coffee.
>>
File: TAZA_corazon-galleta.jpg (164KB, 550x367px) Image search: [Google]
TAZA_corazon-galleta.jpg
164KB, 550x367px
>>8945461
>caramel brown crema
crema crema crema
>>
File: How To Make Moka Coffee.jpg (89KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
How To Make Moka Coffee.jpg
89KB, 768x1024px
>>8945461
>the only thing is I wish I knew how to make my coffee
She can teach you how to make a perfect cup of moka coffee
>>
>>8944119
I read some coffee threads like six months back, I come to check them out again, and this faggot is STILL scaremongering
>>
>>8946888
Nasty truth about dirty coffee industry secrets never die, faggot

Like for example use of toxic chemicals to spry coffee plantations to make sure there is a profit to be made from coffee crops.
>>
yes some coffee can make you ill, very ill.
you have to make smart choices buying coffee, it's a huge business full of many dishonest suppliers
>>
>>8940336
Tad finer than drip is fine just don't pour the last dregs of the pot into your cup.
>>
>>8941747
Please don't respond to this. It starts a stream of shitposting that invariably ruins every coffee thread
>>
>>8942211
French press is okay...imo it brings okay coffee up to a good level but it brings great coffee down cause the heavy oils from the mesh filter block some of the more delicate tastes in the cup.

Stick with Chemex. If you want to try something else go for beehouse, kalita wave, v60, or if you're really looking to spend money get a siphon pot.
>>
>>8948142
cray me a river you weakling, afraid of truth about nasty coffee business secrets, same story as it was with cigarette companies trying to hide facts about cancer caused by smoking cigarettes.
>>
File: CsBYQfCW8AAxqIV.jpg (332KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
CsBYQfCW8AAxqIV.jpg
332KB, 2048x1152px
Have you guys ever tried adding salt to instant coffee? I was skeptical but it makes it a lot better.
>>
>>8942211
I've been using an aeropress for the past few months, from a French press. I really like it, the end result just tastes much better to me, no sludge at the bottom, extremely quick ~2 minute cleanup.
>>
File: akari ugggh.jpg (35KB, 720x767px) Image search: [Google]
akari ugggh.jpg
35KB, 720x767px
>ran out of coffee
>found dusty bottle of nescafe instant
>follow directions (1tsp per 6oz)
>it's faintly colored piss water
>add more
>color and viscosity actually resembles brewed coffee
>taste it
oh god it's like the worst burnt diner coffee
>>
File: 1489691248618.jpg (325KB, 2193x2617px) Image search: [Google]
1489691248618.jpg
325KB, 2193x2617px
>>8948604
I'm out too and decided to try a Keurig for the first time in a while. I wanted to say it was at least drinkable, but I ended up not finishing it. It wasn't offensive, it just wasn't pleasant.
>>
File: 1494019789175.jpg (69KB, 530x712px) Image search: [Google]
1494019789175.jpg
69KB, 530x712px
>decide to get a bag of some gourmet coffee after drinking folgers and maxwell hoise for several months
>its fucking amazing
Can /ck/ recommend me some gourmet coffee that I should try out? I want to see what I've been missing.
>>
Turkish.
>>
Is cold brew coffee just a myth?
>>
>>8950093
It exists and is great in the summer.

1:4 ratio coffee to water and leave in French press over night. You can use whatever container you want as long as it can be strained easily in the morning.

Very course grind.

This makes a coffee concentrate with very little bitterness that can be watgered down with ice or cold water for a smooth brew.

This method works great with mediocre coffees or coffees that can be overly bitter when brewed traditionally with hot water cause the slow extraction does not agitate the grounds as much.
>>
I'M SCARED OF COFFEE NOW, TOO MUCH HEALTH HAZARD RISK INVOLVED BY DRINKING IT.
>>
>>8948480
Not to instant, but i add some to the grounds in a standard old drip-pot that makes my workhorse coffee (i.e. the shit i'm drinking early in the morning to warm/wake up and not for comfort). A little salt makes Folger's columbian a lot better.

I wondered if I was just fooling myself, so I decided to start doing it at work. I usually make the coffee in the mornings there anyway. My coworkers actually started asking me if I brought my own coffee from home or something, saying it was really good.

Alton Brown mentions it on an old Good Eats episode. Idk, something about chemistry.
>>
>>8950721
how much salt to how much coffee?
thanks.
>>
>When you're so bored you start snacking on instant coffee granule
>>
>>8940976
Strangely enough I just found a pretty good tutorial. It's on chefsteps.
>>
>>8939743
I love the taste of a good cup of coffee, but I can't justify the expense or the effects it has on my body. Does anyone else know this feel?
>>
Since buying a bean-to-cup espresso machine I've been drinking double espresso throughout the day. I must get through at least 6/7 but I've not been counting how much I drink.

Do I have a problem?
>>
File: 20170518_194948.jpg (529KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20170518_194948.jpg
529KB, 2048x1152px
My keurig keeps giving me trouble so I finally tossed it for a french press. So far it's more fun and I think the coffee turns out smoother. Anyone have any tips or anything? I'm new to coffee not made with a keurig. I might even buy a coffee bean grinder to turn this into a fun science experiment every morning.
>>
>>8941040
I just got my French press. I just wash it with hot water. Is this the correct way?
>>
>>8951372
Yes buy a grinder.
Usual ratio for coffee is 2 tbs per 6 fl oz of water.
Course grind.

Don't use boiling water, use water that is just under boiling 205F or so

4 minutes of extraction and then pour. Try not to keep the coffee in the brewing vessel because it will keep extracting even after you press the plunger.
>>
>>8951383
Use some soap every once in a while because coffee is very oily and the oils will impact the taste eventually if you let them build up too much.
>>
>>8944119
Everything I've seen online seems to indicate that light roast has higher amounts of acrylamide than dark.

https://books.google.com/books?id=cFECBAAAQBAJ&pg=PA219&lpg=PA219&dq=acrylamide+dark+roast+light+roast&source=bl&ots=3lpFAYjA5x&sig=lA62EGobhAABtSeZv5e7GARWDgc&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwimr_achfzTAhWIwlQKHbm5B6I4ChDoAQggMAg#v=onepage&q=acrylamide%20dark%20roast%20light%20roast&f=false

Also, you're a faggot.
>>
>>8951412
How often do you use soap?
>>
>>8951383
I use hot water and a rag to wipe the oils off after every use. Every few weeks, I take it all the way apart (especially the plunger) and get it all with dish soap
>>
>>8950744
EH it's not a hard-and-fast measure. I have a salt well in my kitchen with kosher salt (i'm a big AB fan, sue me) and sprinkle in like a pinch or two for four cups of coffee (four cup line of water on carafe, which for me is two tbsp grounds). At work, I just grab the salt shaker and go until it seems right.

Too little and you won't taste it, too much and it's inedible. That said, not hard to figure it out yourself.
>>
>>8940336
>>8940416
I for ten years drank moka pot coffee and would tell you, that you are doing something wrong. But after moving and having gas stove in my current home and new moka pot I will say the following. Every moka pot is different, and depending on what you have, it may actually be shit to make coffee with. If you are getting grounds in your coffee, either the moka pot is shit, or your coffee is to fine, and I would almost bet on your moka pot be shit.

Problem number 1 - your moka pot
You are safer spending the money on a real bialetti stainless steel pot, and not one made in India, the aluminium ones are OK but you will have to be more careful with the heat control on those. After you have a moka pot that you know will produce good moka pot coffee you will have another problem depending on your stove.

Problem number 2 - Heat control
For years I have been using your standard electric US stove, now in Europe I am using gas stove, and even on the lowest setting on the lowest stove cap, its still well above the heat I was using on a electric one. Lower heat will produce a smoother fuller body cup of coffee, a regular extraction with either cold or regular temperature water, should between 12 and 15 minutes, any less than that and you more likely will receive an extremely bitter cup, play with the heat and time it until it takes at least 12 minutes.

DON'T LET IT GURGLE!
If you hear it gurgle, your coffee on the upper chamber is already burnt, which means, bitter, undrinkable sludge. Turn the heat off before you get to that point, and don't pour it all in your cup, you will leave a ounce maybe two in the moka pot.

Follow those tips and it should help you.
>>
File: comfy steve.png (93KB, 426x364px) Image search: [Google]
comfy steve.png
93KB, 426x364px
>>8942211
67 year old Coffee Instant.
>>
File: 01.jpg (52KB, 381x498px) Image search: [Google]
01.jpg
52KB, 381x498px
>can't even drink decaf without feeling jittery now

JUST
>>
>>8953302
Those are very interesting tips, especially with temperature and gurgle. Thank you very much anon.
I'm going to adjust my moka technique.
Can you please post a picture of that Stainless Steel Bialetti model that you have.
Thanks
>>
>>8953302
>should between 12 and 15 minutes, any less than that and you more likely will receive an extremely bitter cup, play with the heat and time it until it takes at least 12 minutes.
>>8954058
yes I'm almost shocked at what you are saying about that long extraction time, usually people suggest and when I'm doing is around 4-5 minutes, electric stove temp set at max high,
so you are suggesting to do it at lower temp. OK I will try that, but in next 2 days because I have to buy new rubber washer for my moka pot.

>>8953302
>you will leave a ounce maybe two in the moka pot.
now I have a problem with that. Why to leave it, I'm paying good money for my organic 100% Arabica medium roasted locally coffee beans so I'm not going to waste it, what's the reason for leaving it out.
>>
Try any new brands lately?
>>
Looking to move beyond drop coffee and deciding between a moka pot and a french press: anyone who's been in a similar situation, recommendations?
Would also appreciate advice on where to start looking at grinders and kettles, but that part is probably easier
>>
>>8954399
>a french press
I moved my french press from making coffee duties to collecting my urine at night when I'm too drunk and too lazy to walk to the bathroom to piss
>>
>>8954422
bed side french coffee press used more properly.
>>
>>8952088
When I remember, it's usually about once or twice a week.
>>
explain why you would live anywhere but melbourne if you like coffee?
>>
File: pexels-photo-265186.jpg (33KB, 940x627px) Image search: [Google]
pexels-photo-265186.jpg
33KB, 940x627px
>>
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cafestol

Anyone know about this meme? I stopped drinking FP because I didn't want my cholesterol to go up
>>
>>8955267
>I stopped drinking FP
what's FP?
>>
>>8955499
french press
>>
File: conversions.jpg (94KB, 700x768px) Image search: [Google]
conversions.jpg
94KB, 700x768px
>>8955267
>I stopped drinking FP because I didn't want my cholesterol to go up
OK, but are there any real normal informations how that translates to cholesterol levels per cup of coffee, (assuming that standard cup of coffee in NorthAmerica is 6 oz).
Is that level really that high that you would give up on those coffee oils, don't they have any beneficial properties, and is that cholesterol really that bad for you.

Many times in my opinion people use word cholesterol as a scare word, and any mention of cholesterol creates huge panic.
>>
>>8955267
OK, let's look at this:
Cafestol is a diterpene molecule present in coffee.
A typical bean of Coffea arabica contains about 0.4-0.7% cafestol by weight.
Cafestol is present in highest quantity in unfiltered coffee drinks such as French press coffee or Turkish coffee/Greek coffee. In filtered coffee drinks such as drip brewed coffee, it is present in only negligible amounts.
Studies have shown that regular consumption of boiled coffee increases serum cholesterol by 8% in men and 10% in women. For those drinking filter coffee, the effect was only significant for women.

Cafestol has also shown anticarcinogenic properties in rats.
Cafestol may act as an agonist ligand for the nuclear receptor farnesoid X receptor and pregnane X receptor, blocking cholesterol homeostasis.
Cafestol also has neuroprotective effects in a Drosophila fruit fly model of Parkinson's disease.
>>8955687
>that you would give up on those coffee oils, don't they have any beneficial properties,

>Cafestol has also shown anticarcinogenic properties in rats.
An anticarcinogen (also known as a carcinopreventive agent) is a substance that counteracts the effects of a carcinogen or inhibits the development of cancer.
>>8955687
so there we go, coffee oils are beneficial after all.
maybe people who are trying to scare us from drinking unfiltered coffee are coffee places serving coffee made using filters in their coffee makers, especially for high volume sales.
>>
did you know you can develop black and white film with coffee? name a more patrician beverage, im waiting.
>>
File: 1452188320091_0.png (141KB, 439x290px) Image search: [Google]
1452188320091_0.png
141KB, 439x290px
>>8955714
>>
>people in this thread actually think keurig coffee is shit
lol
>>
>>8955714
>maybe people who are trying to scare us from drinking unfiltered coffee are coffee places serving coffee made using filters in their coffee makers, especially for high volume sales.
Second conspiracy theory might be that the coffee filter makers are spreading this scare tactic info about cholesterol in unfiltered coffee being so bad for you to simply maintain and increase sales of paper coffee filters, (and non paper)
>>
>>8956254
Also question should be asked what kinds of chemicals (if any) are being transferred to our coffee from various paper filters.
I'm sure some brands of paper coffee filters contain more bad toxic chemicals than others.
And are those chemicals are not worst for our health than the cholesterol in coffee?

It could be yet another dirty ugly secret of coffee industry besides bullshit marketing of Dark Roast coffee that is medically and scientifically proven to be carcinogenic,
similar thing could be with paper coffee filters but is tightly guarded secret by the manufacturers and by the coffee industry.
>>
how do you demagnetize metal parts in french coffee press
>>
File: life is shit.png (181KB, 400x324px) Image search: [Google]
life is shit.png
181KB, 400x324px
>>8942211
Paying others to brew.
>>
>>8956491
typical barista
>complains about life being shit
>doesn't know the difference between your and you're
>can't get a job because he's a dumb as fuck dropout
>>
>>8956491
I'd demand a refund for that grammatical error
>>
>>8956503
I'd tip extra.
>>
>>8939743
MITTS COFFEE STAND
Adress: 錦二丁目8-15, 名古屋市中区, Aichi Prefecture 460-0003, Japan
>>
File: this model pic not mine.jpg (296KB, 1276x1600px) Image search: [Google]
this model pic not mine.jpg
296KB, 1276x1600px
>>8954058
>Can you please post a picture of that Stainless Steel Bialetti model that you have.

I had a pic related, now mine is off brand stainless and it is absolute shit, I am going to dip into my non replished funds to buy a proper bialetti pot I know will produce OK coffee.

>>8954109
>yes I'm almost shocked at what you are saying about that long extraction time

Listen people, this shit aint a science here. What works for me is that sort of time, I highly suggest you play with it one day, make different batches some high temp (short extraction time) some medium some low (high extraction time). See what the differences are for you.

For me, 12 mins is best, specially when paired with Lavazza Gold label or Illy when I have madman level cash for coffee. Otherwise I go for black label Lavazza which was available where I lived. Play with it try different coffees different grinds, It doesn't always work with all coffees.

>what's the reason for leaving it out.
The reason for leaving it out is simple, you will always have grounds in your coffee, and unless you are pouring like a madman, the grounds will be on that 1 oz left in the upper chamber. If you are ok with drinking them, don't let me stop you.
>>
>>8943041
>keep it in freezer
And that's the problem anon, you don't put coffee in the freezer unless you wanna drink it cold later, reheating cold coffee kills all it's flavor.
>>
File: fed1.gif (141KB, 287x344px) Image search: [Google]
fed1.gif
141KB, 287x344px
>>8956526
>>
File: Bialetti_moka crem.png (556KB, 880x768px) Image search: [Google]
Bialetti_moka crem.png
556KB, 880x768px
>>8956545
>Listen people, this shit aint a science here. What works for me is that sort of time, I highly suggest you play with it one day, make different batches some high temp (short extraction time) some medium some low (high extraction time). See what the differences are for you.
OK thanks anon.
I checked on Bialetti site and they are saying that also,
http://www.bialetti.com/coffee/stovetop/moka-crm-c-1_7_25.html

"If the heat is too high, coffee may have a burnt taste. Getting the optimum temperature for brewing may take some trial and error."

Interesting I was checking other models beside stainless steel and in the Bialetti Moka Crem unit aluminum is described as being "food grade aluminum alloy", so it looks that those old style aluminum moka pots were made from straight aluminum
and newer models are made from food grade aluminum alloys. Good to know.
>>
File: 1495260144039.jpg (117KB, 794x719px) Image search: [Google]
1495260144039.jpg
117KB, 794x719px
>>8955714
>regular consumption of boiled coffee
>boiled coffee
>>
>>8957615
>>regular consumption of boiled coffee
>>boiled coffee
WTF are you talking about
>>
>>8939743
>Really like coffee
>Buy a french press with a milk frother because I can't seem to find a steamer anywhere
>Buy the first bag of ground coffee that kinda convinces me; it's coarse enough that the particles won't pass through the filter, at least
>Start making coffee following these directions:

>>Boil water
>>The press came with a spoon enough for one person's worth of coffee; add that much amount
>>Fill the press one inch below a mark with the water
>>Count 4 minutes to let it sink; apparently stirring doesn't make any difference
>>Boil milk
>>Add up to a mark in the frother
>>Pump 20 times
>>Slowly press the french press piston and filter the coffee
>>Pour the coffee to a cup
>>Pour the milk on top of the coffee, froth included
>>Serve and sweeten

>Somehow the result doesn't convince me

Where am I going wrong here?
>>
>>8957746
>Where am I going wrong here?
>>8957746
>>Buy a french press
>>
>>8957750
Why am I not surprised that the first response is a shitpost?
>>
>>8957763
honest opinion is a shit post for you,OK.
you must be an idiot in that case,
you don't think that french press is a very mediocre way to make coffee, it's OK but grossly overrated.
>>
>>8957816
See, you said it, it's okay. I wasn't looking for anything expensive because it's my first time buying something to brew my own coffee. Of course I don't think it's a very mediocre way to make it: my alternative is instant coffee.
>>
>>8957746
>buying preground cawfee
>>
>>8957831
What's wrong with that? I don't have a grinder (which I'm looking to buy once I'm done with this bag), but even when I thought this coffee would be too fine the particles don't get through the filter so I suppose it's coarse enough.
>>
OK maybe I'm bit harsh in my reactions to french press.
>>8957827
>my alternative is instant coffee.
no that's drastic, don't do it anon. Good quality instant is OK but still in my opinion you can get much better cup from your french press.
>>8957746
>Where am I going wrong here?
could be few reasons.
Type and quality of coffee beans,how they are grounded, your water, soft or hard.

As it was stated before is better to have bit finer ground for french press to obtain better fuller extraction, course grinds don't release that good.
Don't be afraid and paranoid about getting few coffee grinds on the bottom of your cup.

>>8957838
>I don't have a grinder (which I'm looking to buy once I'm done with this bag)
what type of grinder are you looking to buy, manual or electric?
If you can buy from the store that you can return it if you don't like it.
And coffee grinder it doesn't have to be expensive for french press brewing style.

anon, if you can explore moka pot coffee, tastes much better in my opinion than french press.
>>
>>8957869
>Type and quality of coffee beans,how they are grounded, your water, soft or hard.
Wait, this doesn't explain why coffee shops have better results, at least if we just consider water. Um, as for the beans, it's apparently a mixture of different types of ground beans.

>As it was stated before is better to have bit finer ground for french press to obtain better fuller extraction, course grinds don't release that good.
>Don't be afraid and paranoid about getting few coffee grinds on the bottom of your cup.
It's all fine, it all gets filtered anyways.

>what type of grinder are you looking to buy, manual or electric?
I don't know, maybe manual as long as I can control how coarse the particles get to be?

>If you can buy from the store that you can return it if you don't like it.
I don't think we can do that but sure!

>And coffee grinder it doesn't have to be expensive for french press brewing style.
I'm looking forward to something affordable.

>anon, if you can explore moka pot coffee, tastes much better in my opinion than french press.
I could, but for now I will just stick with this press. I will consider it though, it looks interesting if anything.
>>
>>8957889
>I don't know, maybe manual as long as I can control how coarse the particles get to be?
yes there are manual that you can adjust them.
also electric are not that expensive and will do good job for your needs, do some reading on grinders in your price range.

>>8957889
>Um, as for the beans, it's apparently a mixture of different types of ground beans.
the widely accepted thinking is that 100% Arabica coffee beans have much better taste than Robusta coffee beans, maybe for your next purchase explore this option.
but be aware that (as with all foods) there are different levels of quality of 100%Arabica beans, not all Arabica beans are of good high quality.
>>
>>8939743
im a barista at honolulu coffee. ama
>>
>>8957921
>yes there are manual that you can adjust them.
>also electric are not that expensive and will do good job for your needs, do some reading on grinders in your price range.
Really? I will check on what's available for my price range. Thank you!

>the widely accepted thinking is that 100% Arabica coffee beans have much better taste than Robusta coffee beans, maybe for your next purchase explore this option.
>but be aware that (as with all foods) there are different levels of quality of 100%Arabica beans, not all Arabica beans are of good high quality.
Hm? This is weird as shit. It doesn't say anywhere whether this is one or the other. How do I visually tell?
>>
File: 5299970271_9ae3144fa3_b.jpg (151KB, 1024x652px) Image search: [Google]
5299970271_9ae3144fa3_b.jpg
151KB, 1024x652px
>>8957950
so start spilling the beans, give us the dirty secrets of the coffee industry
>>
>>8957961
what do you wanna know bud
>>
>>8957956
>It doesn't say anywhere whether this is one or the other. How do I visually tell?
if your coffee is already grounded you cannot tell, and if doesn't say that means in 99% that is Robusta.
Coffee packing/roasting houses like to brag and advertise that they use more expensive Arabica coffee beans.
>>
>>8957971
Oh shit that may be the weird flavor, the fact it's robusta and not arabica while everyone else uses arabica.
>>
>>8957965
I'm not sure if you had chance to read this thread, there are some strong claims here, like this:
>>8941308
>>8944068
>>8944119
>>8944206
>>8946904

and this,kek >>8954422
>>
File: 1493094315606.png (198KB, 389x397px) Image search: [Google]
1493094315606.png
198KB, 389x397px
>>8957982
dark roast coffee sucks ass and is only for people who think theyre tough for drinking strong coffee.'
thats why we only offer medium roasted beans at honolulu coffee.
you heard it here first folks, dark roast is fucking asshoele.
>>
>>8957978
>while everyone else uses arabica.
not everyone uses Arabica, some do others don't, but even if they do not all Arabica are of good quality, as it was said here;
>>8957921
>the widely accepted thinking is that 100% Arabica coffee beans have much better taste than Robusta coffee beans, maybe for your next purchase explore this option.
>but be aware that (as with all foods) there are different levels of quality of 100%Arabica beans, not all Arabica beans are of good high quality.
>>
>>8957992
>thats why we only offer medium roasted beans at honolulu coffee.
what coffee beans and brands do you guys serve.
>>
>>8957994
Okay let's assume I don't have arabica. How do I achieve better results with robusta?
>>
>>8957994
just to make it clear,
there are some Robusta coffee beans that taste good, depends on where they are from, how they were roasted, their quality and so on
>>
>>8958008
>How do I achieve better results with robusta?
how do you brewing, what method
>>
File: 1333368966368.jpg (20KB, 432x324px) Image search: [Google]
1333368966368.jpg
20KB, 432x324px
>>8958002
>Lokahi, a 7oz bag is $24
We use this for our espresso drinks. It's a mix of el salvador beans and columbia i think.

>Makahiki a 7oz bag is the same price as lokahi
We use this for regular drip coffee. It's got brazil and maui beans.

>100% Kona Beans a 7oz bag is $66
This is for our $8 pour over. It's all kona beans.

All medium roast btw. There you have it, the insider info.
>>
>>8957956
>Hm? This is weird as shit. It doesn't say anywhere whether this is one or the other. How do I visually tell?
does it say what roast is it, dark or medium?
>>
>>8958015
this >>8957746
>>
>>8943112
Do two revolutions around the outside before you start doodling
>>
>>8958019
so you are high end coffee joint then, nice.
>>
>>8945461
Sorry lad but crema is something you'll only get with espresso
>>
>>8958008
>>8958021
maybe this dude can help you, he will have more expertise than I do
>>8957950
>>8957992
>>8958019
>>
File: ls.jpg (17KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
ls.jpg
17KB, 250x250px
>>8958026
nah not really. most of our customers are mainland chinese who order large cappuccinos.
>>
What should I expect to pay for 1 lb of good-quality beans?

Closest roaster to me has stuff ranging from ~$14/lb to 40.
>>
>>8958034
I guess I was assuming by the prices but then I realized that you are in Hawaii where everything is expensive, lol
>>
>>8958020
It doesn't. I even tried looking at their website and it literally says nothing. All it says it's how the beans are from high altitude places at Colombia, Brazil, Ecuador and Peru. It also mentions how the coffee has a soft flavor and strong aroma (yes it has a strong aroma, can testify).
>>
>>8950565
I use a medium grind because I enjoy bitterness in my coffee. Only thing is it needs to be filtered through filter paper because a French press won't be enough
>>
>>8958044
>It doesn't.
that's very strange, hard to believe actually, must be really cheap stuff, can you post name or picture of it or their web site
>>
>>8958042
no im in vancouver. honolulu coffee is a franchise and the flagship is in hawaii.
>>
>>8958050
>must be really cheap stuff
Eh... Yeah. Maybe the brand isn't very good after all.

>can you post name or picture of it or their web site
It's all in spanish.
>>
File: coffee up your ass.jpg (194KB, 517x768px) Image search: [Google]
coffee up your ass.jpg
194KB, 517x768px
>>8958055
looks like your coffee anon is good to be used as a coffee enema, take it up your ass and be done with it.
next time buy better quality coffee and grind it at home
>>
>>8958101
I asked them to see if I could get a better quality coffee. If I don't get a response or if it doesn't work I will buy coffee beans and will grind them myself.
>>
File: Starbutts_COFFEE ENEMA DETOX.jpg (150KB, 1024x681px) Image search: [Google]
Starbutts_COFFEE ENEMA DETOX.jpg
150KB, 1024x681px
>>
>>8958111
any company that doesn't post info what type of beans they use and what roasting level of the coffee they are selling is, for sure they sell lowest quality coffee, simple as that.
>>
>>8958128
also coffee that is grown using tons of toxic chemicals, fertilizers and pesticide
stop buying cheapest shit please, think of your health anon
>>
>>8958019
>>Lokahi, a 7oz bag is $24
fuck, that is so expensive
fuck $24 for a lb (16 oz) is expensive, but for 7oz is fucking insane
>>
>>8958128
>>8958137
Something to consider in the future. Thanks anon.
>>
>>8958146
You welcome.
>>
File: lovely-coffee-and-cake.jpg (81KB, 768x768px) Image search: [Google]
lovely-coffee-and-cake.jpg
81KB, 768x768px
nice thread
>>
Who else is decaf masterrace here?
I fucking love coffee but caffeine withdrawal is a bitch.
I started drinking decaf a year ago and never looked back.
My tastebuds are shit so i don't really notice any difference in taste.
>>
>>8957746
You have to be pretty autistic to brew French Press coffee perfectly. Are you taking the water off the boil for a minute before pouring it in the press? You can also try measuring your beans and grinding them fresh. That makes a lot of difference.

>>8958053
Honolulu Coffee Company has some great blends and iced drinks.
>>
I just make filter coffee and make tons of it. I really enjoy drinking coffee and making it like this seems like the most efficient way to drink a lot
>>
Bro got back from holidays and gave me these he bought from Jakarta. Left has more body and right more acidity according to the package. Which one to choose first lads? I'm using an aeropress as some recommended it a few threads back.
>>
>>8958399
That looks like tea. I've never seen coffee that color.
>>
>>8958773
>I've never seen coffee that color.
if you mix coffee with milk or cream it will change the color from dark brown to this, believe me
>>
>>8940336
Fine, but not espresso fine.
>>
>>8941308
>There is a reason why roasting houses roasting green coffee beans to dark roast level
which is?
>>
>>8941734
same. I use an aeropress and like to experiment each day
>>
>>8951383
I use soap once a week or so. Old stale coffee dust doesn't taste good.
>>
>>8942211
French press has multiple uses, great for teas, good for shandys/infusions, and makes a damn fine cup of coffee. That and a moka pot, and you can create most any coffee creation that you want and make it still acceptable.
>>
>>8958487
>I started drinking decaf a year ago and never looked back.
what do you know how decaf coffee is made?
do you know and understand the differences between them?

HOW DECAFFEINATED COFFEE IS MADE
http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2011/04/how-decaffeinated-coffee-is-made/

Is decaffeinated coffee safe to drink?
http://goaskalice.columbia.edu/answered-questions/decaffeinated-coffee-safe-drink

Not many people are aware but the Arabica coffee beans contain almost halve of the caffeine that the Robusta coffee beans contain, so for many people switching to Arabica beans could be good choice to reduce the caffeine intake.

10 DIFFERENCES BETWEEN ROBUSTA & ARABICA COFFEE
https://theroasterspack.com/blogs/news/15409365-10-differences-between-robusta-arabica-coffee

What’s The Difference Between Arabica And Robusta Coffee?
https://driftaway.coffee/arabica-robusta/

FOR THOSE WHO DRINK COFFEE EVERY DAY YOU SHOULD LEARN THOSE DIFFERENCES SO YOU CAN MAKE EDUCATED CHOICES.
Also remember as I said here >>8957921
So if it says on the package 100% Arabica that is not automatic assurance that you are getting good tasting beans, same as with cars or computers or phones, you understand the drift.
>>
>>8948148
Get a better mesh and use a coarser grind.
>>
>>8942211
I am a big fan of my French Press. Own a small one for single cups and a larger one for when I have company. Brewing this way is one of the most relaxing parts of my day.

Was recently given a Moka Pot and have been experimenting with that a little. Mostly trying to learn how to make Cuban and Vietnamese Coffee but I keep fucking them up the ratios.

With the weather getting hotter in my region I have mostly been drinking cold brew kept in mason jars. Can't find my Hario Burr Grinder so I have been grinding my beans with a cocktail muddler. Seems to get a decent coarse grind.
>>
Do you guys add anything to your coffee? If so what?

I add a splash of cashew milk and two cubes of brown sugar.
>>
File: Roast-Coffee-Beans.jpg (84KB, 800x427px) Image search: [Google]
Roast-Coffee-Beans.jpg
84KB, 800x427px
>>8941308
>I DON'T DRINK DARK ROASTS ANY MORE. JUST MEDIUM
>There is a reason why roasting houses roasting green coffee beans to dark roast level.Very dishonest practice on behalf of the coffee industry.

>>8959555
>which is?

YES I WILL PROVIDE YOU SOME
Dark roasted beans have no flavor at all, except flavor of burnt charred asphalt.
There is a very good reason why roasting houses roast coffee beans to a dark roast level.

Lowest quality beans are roasted to dark roast level, because they taste like shit if roasted to Medium roast level.
So to deal with it and still sell the low quality coffee beans at the same price as the much better quality beans that are roasted to blond or medium roast levels, the "coffee geniuses" come up with this cleaver trick
to roast the hell out of the beans (making them poisonous at the same time, giving you cancer) but that dark roast level gives the "uniformity" in taste, because at that dark roast level all coffee beans taste the same -they all taste like tar.
And the nice complexity of flavors and all the oils and the sugars all that is good in coffee is burned is charred in dark roasts.

Coffee is the only product that you can take lowest quality of it that normally should be sold at much lower price per pound and by Dark roasting process you trick customers to pay the same price per pound as for the higher quality product.
And as a bonus you are getting charred coffee beans that were proven by medical scientist to cause cancer.

So there you go next time when you are forking out your money on Dark roast coffee beans think about what you just read.
It's a little dirty secret that coffee industry hates to talk about.
>>
>>8959640
>cashew milk
do you buy it or do you make it yourself?
I never had cashew milk but it sounds delicious
>>
File: Silk-Cashew-Milk-Unsweetened.jpg (29KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
Silk-Cashew-Milk-Unsweetened.jpg
29KB, 512x512px
>>8959661
I buy it. It's less calories than almond, but only by like 5. Thicker than almond milk too.
>>
>>8959655
and for those asses who will crybaby here that I'm spreading false news about Dark roasted coffee, tell me faggots why then not all green coffee beans are roasted to Dark roast level if dark roast improves taste or does some special shit to the taste of coffee.
If that was the case all green coffee would be roasted to Dark roasts charred burnt level.

Ask any reputable roasting house or good barista and they will confirm that dark roasted coffee is shit and a dishonest marketing scam,
as this anon said here
>>8957992
>>
>>8959669
Thanks, I will try it.
I guess making yourself should be easy also, same as making almond milk at home I guess.
>>
File: Arabica vs. Robusta coffee.png (501KB, 887x969px) Image search: [Google]
Arabica vs. Robusta coffee.png
501KB, 887x969px
>>8959574
just to add to it,here is another nice article;

Differences between Arabica and Robusta Coffee
https://www.coffeechemistry.com/general/agronomy/differences-arabica-and-robusta-coffee
>>
For me it's the avolatte, the perfect marriage of fruit and bean.
>>
>>8960462
insanity reached new level.
share more details of this grossness
>>
>>8957950
what do you prefer? blonder fruitier 3rd wave espresso or darker/chocolate italian style espresso?
>>
>>8960462
>tfw using a scooped out fruit to drink your coffee is more expensive than buying a ceramics cup and throwing it away
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Got this... anyone ever brew a geisha?
>>
File: [confused scratching].jpg (108KB, 300x449px) Image search: [Google]
[confused scratching].jpg
108KB, 300x449px
Coffee newfag here
Where should I start with making my own coffee? Only been using instant shit but I want to make the good stuff. I usually take my coffee with a dash of milk and some sugar.
>>
>>8960621
Get a v60, cheapo goose neck, scale, and a hario skerton or porlex... if you have money to burn get a Lido. Then find a local roaster and enjoy good coffee black
>>
>>8960638
Any reason to take a hand grinder over a electric?
>>
>>8960583
can you post a picture of the other side of that bag,please. Thanks.
like to read more of the info there
>>
File: 1478968258516.jpg (40KB, 640x515px) Image search: [Google]
1478968258516.jpg
40KB, 640x515px
>>
File: Bicep-muscle.jpg (141KB, 794x768px) Image search: [Google]
Bicep-muscle.jpg
141KB, 794x768px
>>8960662
to develop biceps muscle, and to save environment from producing electricity needed to run your electric coffee grinder
>>
>>8960676
dark roast coffee and french press.
and you?
>>
>>8960684
I'll take that advice then. What kind of beans should I get if I'm a pussy that enjoys milk and suger with my instant shite coffee?
>>
>>8960621
I would suggest getting a French Press, an inexpensive burr grinder (Hario makes a good one, though if you're on a budget you can get a cheap NorPro brand), and a kettle. Hell even a sauce pan will work in a pinch so long as you're careful pouring water into the press.

Once you get the hang of it, go with the suggestions from >>8960638. I do not like to suggest people buy anything moderately expensive starting off since they may not get into it that much. That said a burr grinder is much better than getting a blade grinder if you want a consistent coffee grind. Blades tend to lead to what I can best compare to lumpy flour which leads to a poor extraction.

I would definitely look into different roasters as well. If there are local roasters in your area, even better. I fortunately live an hour away from the original Counter Culture Roasters, so plenty of grocers in my area carry their stuff. Whole bean is important as they have the freshest flavor, so avoid any pre-ground bags. If you're feeling adventurous buy a different bean when it's time to restock so you can compare flavors.

Last suggestion is trying different brew methods and see what you like best. If you have an airtight container like a mason jar try going for a cold brew. That style is less acidic and tastes more sweet than bitter even black.
>>
File: Melitta_Molino_grinder_800x.png (191KB, 500x550px) Image search: [Google]
Melitta_Molino_grinder_800x.png
191KB, 500x550px
>>8960691
don't take me seriously, there are good/decent electric grinders that will make coffee grinding a breeze, manual grinders are fun, but Hey! we have the technology.
if you are into really sophisticated coffee machines and zen like approaches some fags claim that $200 hand grinders are the only way to go, but if you are a normal human being
mid priced electric will do very well, just do some reading on them or maybe some coffeefags here will share their opinions on models,I have this Melita and works OK for me.
I'm not paranoid (as some here are) about bit uneven grinds that are coming from my cheap electric grinder,
we are talking NANO PARTICLE size differences that even CERN in Switzerland would let pass.

pic related/ model I use
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>8960662
For reference here's my autism kit
>>
>>8960737
True, i prefer hand grinders cause of how good the Lido burrs are. Imo way better than an Encore or Vario, plus it doubles as an espresso grinder. When I save enough (investing in ETH) ill buy a lambo and a Mahlkoenig
>>
File: Espro-Press-instructions-gross.jpg (162KB, 1200x953px) Image search: [Google]
Espro-Press-instructions-gross.jpg
162KB, 1200x953px
>>8960713
>I would suggest getting a French Press,
I personally don't like french press coffee makers anymore, I prefer moka pots, for me coffee tastes better from moka pots.
but if you are going to buy french press coffee maker seriously consider buying the Caddillac that has several advantages over standard traditional french press models.
EsproPress coffee maker.

ESPRO PRESS P3
http://espro.ca/espro-press-p3/

explore and read about them, they are much better then the traditional models, besides few other things you can leave your made coffee in them,
not like in traditional models you have to pour made coffee out otherwise the coffee will be in contact with coffee grinds all the time and will get bitter.
I personally like the glass models, you can see the coffee in it and no metal (stainless steel) contact.
>>
File: IMG_0538.jpg (2MB, 3035x3022px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0538.jpg
2MB, 3035x3022px
More autism
>>
>>8960747
>>8960771
insanely insane coffee insanity.
nice junk, I must say.
>>
>>8960771
why there is no info on the coffee bag what type of coffee beans and what roasting level,
or are they from Dollar store
>>
>>8960771
so if geisha was one of the harder to get beans I've ever bought and was my all time favorite, does anything else I should be pursuing come to mind?
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>8960779
Its on the back one sec
>>
>>8960780
Elefante from madcap... you have to time it right when madcap has it. Fucking better than geishas imo... tastes like biting into a crisp apple loaded with blood oranges.
>>
File: Espresso Instant Coffee.jpg (112KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Espresso Instant Coffee.jpg
112KB, 1500x1500px
>>8960780
yes of course try this, you massive coffee faggot
>>
File: 6887655456780.gif (1MB, 500x282px) Image search: [Google]
6887655456780.gif
1MB, 500x282px
>>8960779

>dining at a restaurant without seating or an "indoors".
>eating in your car.

I don't even wear outdoor shoes in my car. I keep a driving pair under the front seat. Fucking disgusting laziness to eat in a car.
>>
>>8960780
>, does anything else I should be pursuing come to mind?
what about $500/lb coffee that comes from rat's ass
I bet you never tried drinking that shit yet?
>>
>>8960796
fuck man I make and drink coffee in my car.
I'm fucking CCS, Car and Coffee Snob.
>>
>>8960799
Tried it. It sucks.
>>
>>8960810
LOL,
how much did you pay for it, did you buy the whole lb of it?
>>8960810
>Tried it. It sucks.
at least you are honest, kek
>>
>>8960799
>what about $500/lb coffee that comes from rat'
a civet isn't a rat and from the description I don't think it's popular among anyone who actually likes coffee
>>
File: rat's ass-coffee.jpg (144KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
rat's ass-coffee.jpg
144KB, 1024x1024px
>>8960819
well they sell that in fancy London store to some rich snobs packaged like this.
>>
>>8960780
A Geisha from a higher altitude than 1500masl, there is a significant quality difference once you get to 1.6k-1.7k+
>>
>>8960815
For like 1oz, 20 bucks. Got it in the Philippines. Sucks ass, tho Philippine Arabica beans are starting to catch on especially the third species, Liberica. If ever in seattle look for Kalsada coffee
>>
File: shitty coffee very expensive .jpg (46KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
shitty coffee very expensive .jpg
46KB, 1024x682px
>>8960819
>a civet isn't a rat and from the description I don't think it's popular among anyone who actually likes coffee
when I get time I will find an article that talks how this rat ass shit coffee got started.
basically it was poor workers who were not allowed to collect coffee on the plantation (don't remember the plantations name at the moment, but was owned by German dudes, I THINK),
so the poor workers collected the shit from the rat who liked to eat coffee beans and washed the rats shit out and brewed coffee for themselves, and the German fuckers when they heard about it
as a joke started to sell that coffee as a novelty claiming that digestive juices of the fucking rat improved the taste and flavor of their coffee to justify charging insane amounts of money for it,
and some stupid rich coffee faggots believed in this total bullshit, and here we are today, the most expensive per pound coffee in the World.

I'm sure the German plantation owners were high on some exotic shit plants like fuck when they come out with selling this rat's ass coffee idea thinking that people will ignore them,
but hey, no, there is enough rich suckers with no brains in this World.
>>
>>8960852
Geishas are more expensive pfp
>>
>>8961127
how much per lb
(just don't fucking give me a heart attack anon. kek)
>>
File: IMG_0539.png (96KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0539.png
96KB, 750x1334px
>>8961188
>>
File: Eat. Drink. And be cozy. .jpg (120KB, 1080x1350px) Image search: [Google]
Eat. Drink. And be cozy. .jpg
120KB, 1080x1350px
>>8961294
OK, very nice 1%-ter, nice score indeed.
Please share with us all the delicious reflections you had drinking this "thing",
it's a rare opportunity to chat with such coffee connoisseurs like yourself so grace us with some 'bragging' please.
Thanks
>>
File: rofl.jpg (16KB, 469x338px) Image search: [Google]
rofl.jpg
16KB, 469x338px
>really thinking about buying a virtuoso after almost two years of using a skerton
>see it's getting replaced soon by the sette 30
>think "oh cool"
>watch a video of the sette 270 to get an idea
>sounds like rabbits being chewed up in a helicopter on liftoff

Guess I'm getting a LIDO, lads
>>
>>8958526
>You have to be pretty autistic to brew French Press coffee perfectly. Are you taking the water off the boil for a minute before pouring it in the press? You can also try measuring your beans and grinding them fresh. That makes a lot of difference.
Oh look I have a response.

I don't, but you know what? It's definitely the brand. I tried brewing coffee by myself and it tastes... weird. It's much better without milk but it's definitely not the taste I'm going for.

I don't have beans, but I could buy beans and grind them myself.
>>
>>8961446
first get a hair makeover,bitch
>>
>>8961446
>>8961498
>hair looking like shit yet the bitch is willing to waste money on coffee gadgets first
>no fucking priorities detected
>>
Recommend me a cheap electric burr grinder, my manual one is falling apart
>>
>>8961558
I have this model and it serves me good.
https://international.melitta.de/en/Melitta-Molino-735.html
>>8960737
main thing is in my opinion to buy from the store that you can return it if you don't like it.
you need to do some reviews reading, even if you get recommendations from here, anon
>>
Geisha isn't that much, $30 for a 12oz bag is the most I've seen it go for
>>
>>8962473
You must only be looking at shit-tier Geishas grown at lower altitudes, the good stuff is more expensive than that.
>>
>>8962473
>Geisha isn't that much, $30 for a 12oz bag is the most I've seen it go for
no according to this anon
>>8961294
>>
>>8962473
>$30 for a 12oz bag is the most I've seen it go for
at Dollar Store I assume
>>
File: 1491374355301.png (795KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1491374355301.png
795KB, 1500x1500px
Anything like this but not as expensive?
>>
File: 11-11.jpg (61KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
11-11.jpg
61KB, 1024x683px
>>8964354
8:00 AM is nothing anon I see 11:11
I see fucking 11:11 all the time anon
>>
>>8964354
>Anything like this but not as expensive?
Dollar Store, did you checked Dollar Store anon
>>
>>8964354
http://www.scaa.org/?page=cert2
>>
>>8964685
too expensive
>>
>>8964707
Then go get a $20 Walmart special, ya goob
>>
>>8963218
Correct the $30 geishas are usually Good Hard Beans grade which is grown above 1500 meters which is good quality.

The top tier geishas are competition grade/ VGHB very good hard beans, which are basically reserved at farms
>>
>>8964354
few very negative reviews,
garbage device
>>
Mother is looking to get a K-Cup machine for the household. I want to get her one for her birthday. What do you guys recommend? Looking for something that is the right blend of quality and affordability.

Also, we've used one of those Zojurushi hot water dispensers for years. Would this K-Cup machine essentially replace that or is the hot water going to have a coffee aftertaste to it?
>>
How do they come up with the flavor descriptions they write on coffee bags?
I know different coffees taste different, but they never taste anything like the description on the bag.
>>
File: Bullshit-lot's of-BULLSHIT.jpg (272KB, 1000x666px) Image search: [Google]
Bullshit-lot's of-BULLSHIT.jpg
272KB, 1000x666px
>>8965331
it's called CCB: Creative Coffee Bullshitting
>>
>>8965331
Its taste by association. Literally like wine profiles.

However if you want full on blueberry flavor get an Ethiopian Sidamo or Harrar. Those taste like blueberries, due to sugars in those varietals having very similar chemical aromatics to blueberry sugars.

If anything look for La Mill Ethiopians, usually you'll find a blueberry one there
>>
>>8965437
>Its taste by association.
Like taste of rats ass shit, see here
>>8960799
>>8960852
>>
>>8965440
I never said I liked civet coffee. It taste's like ass, I've tried it. Its a literal meme.
>>
>>8965475
Best time to have coffee, after sex in the morning with a qt3.14 autistic waifu.

When I describe flavors i keep it as simple as possible, juicy, citrus, blueberry, etc. those are pretty easy to pickout
>>
>>8965449
anon.I never suggested that you liked it, I just posted for lols to add to the selection of flavors. kek
didn't mean to jab you.

PS. had to remove that attached picture because there is a crybaby snitch in coffee threads who got triggered couple of weeks ago about that picture because there was little bit of a nipple showing yet the girl on the balcony was drinking coffee,
so that crybaby snitch was crying for janitors and mods, but mod was cool and let that pic stay and I was not banned.
I'm glad you saw it
>>
>>8965449
>I never said I liked civet coffee. It taste's like ass, I've tried it. Its a literal meme.
I'm not sure if you read this post about how all it started, true story
>>8960852
I still didn't look for that article but you get the idea from my post
>>
>>8964750
I have one and it makes great fucking coffee, the best drip I have had

Perhaps the Moccamaster would perform better but I would just looking for a cheap alternative with the same performance
>>
>>8965547
if you have one the original real mcCoy why defuck you are looking to buy cheaper alternative.
there is something that smells like bullshitting with your story, you post same question in almost every coffee thread.
you are promoting them here,that's what you are doing faggot
>>
>>8965561
I posted it once before and someone recommended this other coffee maker of decency but then I lost the thread so I am back to ask again.

It looks like that certified coffee website answers my question though.
>>
>>8965563
>It looks like that certified coffee website answers my question though.
post link to that site please. let's read it
>>
>>8965567
http://www.scaa.org/?page=cert2
>>
>>8965572
thanks
>>
think I'll buy a french press, is there anything I should know when buying them? should I spend a little more for a decent one or will a kmart one suffice?

t. coffee newbie and will probably use pre-ground beans to begin with
>>
>>8965753
>kmart
Ew. Haven't seen one of those in a while. Target has Bodum Brazils for twenty bucks
>>
File: 1488854321189.jpg (57KB, 650x634px) Image search: [Google]
1488854321189.jpg
57KB, 650x634px
Tonight as I was having a sipp, I suddenly thought to myself, "Is coffee the fidget spinner of food?". As you might notice, Monster Zero Ultra is a strange choice for an evening beverage, but I've completely abandoned coffee after it started reaching meme status thanks to normalfag facebook memes.

But think about it, coffee is so fucking autistic. Americans love drinking it all the time, they have to have their morning coffee everyday or they start convulsing and throwing retard tantrums. It's the perfect analog to fidget spinners. ADHD kids need their spinners or else they can't function, and Americans need their shitty Starbucks unicorn latte for their autistic ADHD tongues.

I recommend that you try the sipp lifestyle and see how it treats you. If nothing else, I can guarantee that it is a lot classier than being an autistic coffeefag.
>>
>>8965753
>>8954422
>>
>>8965753
>t. coffee newbie and will probably use pre-ground beans to begin with
I use instant coffee with my french press and Im very happy with the results
>>
File: 02WATCHES2-blog427.jpg (61KB, 427x648px) Image search: [Google]
02WATCHES2-blog427.jpg
61KB, 427x648px
>>8941734
>the thicc golden brown foam head that forms when you pour 200F water on top of your freshly ground coffee
>>8959561
>that TSHHH at the end
>>
>>8966538
fuck that Clinton pedo
>>
>>8960799
>>8960819
>>8960852
I've tasted civet shit coffee but I wasn't told what it was until I finished it. Unironically tasted a bit nutty. It was $6 (converted) for a cup slightly bigger than an espresso shot glass.
>>8966544
back to your board
>>
>tfw suck at french press
I tried the recipe on my coffee bean bag
>coarse
>280ml water
>20g coffee
>94 degrees C
>4:00 minutes
I left the coffee over 4 mins and it was very weak. Is it because i was grinding too coarse?
>>
>>8966751
>Is it because i was grinding too coarse?
Very likely
>>
File: _20170523_142302.jpg (83KB, 1080x707px) Image search: [Google]
_20170523_142302.jpg
83KB, 1080x707px
LIDO 3 INCOMING
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>8967206
Hnnng... lido e-t reporting

>pic related is meme shit coffee
>>
File: IMG_0221.jpg (2MB, 3024x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0221.jpg
2MB, 3024x3024px
But anyway, my pour-over recipe is based of the 2016 World Brewer's Cup winner, Tetsu Kasuya. Its called the 4-6 method, where you break up your pours where the first two pours are 40% of the weight, and the next 60% is broken up over a bunch of pours. Pretty good if you dial it in right.

https://youtu.be/yw849fABP54
>>
which do you prefer?

v60 vs aeropress

chemex vs french press
>>
>>8967357
moisturise my man
>>
>>8967363
first 1:30 and I already must give this guy shit for luck of basic hygiene for not washing his hangs after shaking hands with all the judges, and he is proceeding making coffee.
fucking savage.
>>
>>8967363
at 8:50 next shit must be given.
this presentation is total bullshit, barista is implanting in minds of judges how the coffee he brew will taste.
shut the fuck up faggot, brew the fucking coffee and let the judges write their observations, don't fucking influence them with your fucking bullshit stories.

this is total faggotory on the highest level. fucking bullshit.
why is not done the way vine testing is done, fucking total silence, you sip the vine and you write your opinion about it, not listening to a faggot selling you his version how great it is, how great it tastes.
FUCK THIS BULLSHIT
WASTE OF TIME WATCHING
>>
>>8967363
TOTAL waste of time watching this whole video, 13:30 minutes fucking gone from my life.
FUCK
>>
>>8968735
>>8968710
>>8968668
Did not know y'all would get so flustered. Here's a cliffs video: https://youtu.be/pQ0OW_VnaKw

>>8968663
V60 for me, chemex is good if you want a cleaner cup with a lighter body since the filter is thicker.
>>
>>8968838
NOT WATCHING (TRANSLATION: NOT WASTING ANYMORE OF MY TIME) ON YOUR VIDEOS.
not even clicking to find out what they are all about. Fuck it.
>>
File: nyoro~n!.png (193KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
nyoro~n!.png
193KB, 1920x1200px
Do they make extra wide pourover cones?
My mug is pretty big and I make 16oz for breakfast most mornings.
>>
File: 1489327790229.png (46KB, 548x868px) Image search: [Google]
1489327790229.png
46KB, 548x868px
Quick reminder that the only correct way to drink coffee is cafe au lait. Thank you for continued support.
>>
>>8942211

This right here is the best proven method

https://ricochet.com/392324/make-perfect-cup-coffee/
>>
>>8942211
>>8968918
brew instant and stop inventing craziness
>>
>>8960789
oh look, it's the secret to tim horton's espresso
>>
>>8969032
That particular instant coffee helped me to quit drinking coffee 5 weeks ago.
After I run out of my coffee beans I just bought jar of that and finished in 6 days and now I don't crave coffee anymore.
Instant miracle maker.
>>
Coffee eeffoc
>>
Is it better to add sugar first or cream, will it affect chemical reaction between coffee and sugar if cream is added last
>>
File: IMG_20170524_155613.jpg (1MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170524_155613.jpg
1MB, 2592x1944px
>>8967206
What a fucking beast this thing is
>>
>>8971461
Holy shit. How long did you have to wait? Do they have them in stock right now?
>>
>coffee chain
burned crap
>trendy local place
burned crap
>too poor to buy espresso machine
fuck
>>
>>8971548
Two days. Ordered Monday morning from Prima Coffee and they had it packed and a label printed like an hour later. USPS Priority from Kentucky to Denver
>>
>>8971559
use a moka pot, they're cheap and pretty good, similar to espresso too
>>
>>8971559

Don't go to the ''trendy'' place and don't go to a chain, retard, go to an actual roaster who knows what he's doing.
>>
>>8971576
Thanks... I've been looking at getting one but I'd heard that if you buy directly from Orphan Espresso it can take them a while to get to you.
>>
>>8971607
Not really. I order a Lido E-T from them when they were in stock. Took 3 days.

Had to recalibrate a little due to a bit of burr rub, but its a monster. I'd compare it to a vario.
>>
what is the thinking man's espresso machine?
>>
>>8971965
Marzocco GS3 or Slayer or Linea
>>
embarrassment
>>
>>8939743
My ex's mom made a legendary cup of coffee. This cup had 0 bitterness, no creamer, no sugar. I hate coffee because of the bitterness but she made it delicious.
I sadly can't speak with her but I've been thinking about this cup for the last 5 years.

How did she do it?
>>
>>8972079
Synesso MVP Hydra is up there too
>>
>>8972786
>How did she do it?
what a stupid question to ask here.
ask her faggot.
>>8972786
>I've been thinking about this cup for the last 5 years.
fapping much?
>>
>>8972786
there is so much info missing from your description, and there is so many variables as to her coffee making technique,coffee type, coffee maker, and several more,
so please anon don't get offended at this
>>8973081
but you are sounding quite silly
>>
File: I hate coffee culture.jpg (107KB, 736x768px) Image search: [Google]
I hate coffee culture.jpg
107KB, 736x768px
>>
File: seinfeld_jerry.jpg (38KB, 240x260px) Image search: [Google]
seinfeld_jerry.jpg
38KB, 240x260px
>>8974176
Literally every hobby has insufferable people that define themselves by it.

Just get the info you need and do your own thing
>>
File: Thank You!.png (226KB, 640x444px) Image search: [Google]
Thank You!.png
226KB, 640x444px
>>8974236
Thanks anon, actually very good advice, good approach.
>>
Brewed using 1:10 ratio for 4 minutes since last year and just now tried 1:15. 1:15 is much better since if you go lower then some notes get hide.

Next I'm gonna try 1:10 but brewing for a short time, I think 2 minutes.
>>
>>8974268
>Brewed using 1:10 ratio for 4 minutes
for what for french piss?
1 is what?
10 is what?
>>
>>8974294
At this point pretty obvious... can you imagine 1 kg of ground and 100 ml of water? you get paste not a brew.

Yeah french press using 10g of coarse ground to 150 ml of water (1 part coffee : 15 parts water). 1:10(c:w) comes too strong and has zero aftertaste. 1:18 is when you get the best aftertaste.
>>
>>8974349
>At this point pretty obvious... can you imagine 1 kg of ground and 100 ml of water?
Don't you think that for 1 kg of ground coffee you should use 100 kg of water, obviously 100 ml is not enough. Simple math
>>
>>8974368
Yes. Anon brews his coffee per oil barrel.
>>
>>8960662
>>8960691
you get a manual grinder because the burrs can be better at the same price as a comparable electric grinder, because you aren't losing a chunk of the cost to motors/electronics
>>8960747
>third wave water
absolute meme. if you care, make your own for a fraction of the cost
>>8961446
settes are reputed to break like crazy, you dodged a bullet
>>8968865
get a chemex?
>>
File: 1474041186304.png (150KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1474041186304.png
150KB, 500x500px
Found this for a discount, any good?

Wondering if it can stand up the verified coffee on that list
>>
What is the cheapest burr grinder I could get?
>>
>>8974248
it's common fucking sense
anybody who shies away from a hobby they're interested in solely because of its community is a moron
>>
>>8960770
I just purchased this. What am I in for?
>>
>>8975141
A path to memedom
>>
>>8975162
I already fell for the aeropress meme, is this a more powerful meme?
>>
>>8975170
Well, more expensive at least
>>
>>8975024
you can find good hand-powered burr grinders for cheap, e.g. hario skerton is ~$30
Electric grinders will be more expensive, and I don't know enough to recommend one
>>
NEW THREAD

>>8975982
>>
>>8975141
If you did your research on it reading about it comparing to standard french presses you know the major differences and I think you will enjoy this type much more.
What model did you get, the stainless steel or glass carafe?
How did you made coffee before?, is this your first french press style coffee maker?

Please share your opinion about EsproPress, if this thread gets Archived please share it in the next >>8976006
Thanks.
>>
File: coffee-and-cake.jpg (140KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
coffee-and-cake.jpg
140KB, 1024x683px
>>8939743
OP here,
with deep sadness I feel like it's time to say goodbye to this thread, I feel that soon the mod will proclaim End of it's Existence.
Fair enough, fair enough.

Thank you thread for giving us so many valuable lessons great posts and some shitty posts.
OK I must finish now because I'm getting all emotional, like every time when I empty my moka basket from brewed coffee grinds, I get all so emotional thinking about how that coffee was growing basking in the sun,
roots were providing water and nutrients,leafs were absorbing morning dew and midday sun, bees were pollinating the sweet coffee flowers, birds were sitting on it's branches singing songs to the plantation workers,
gentle hands of those workers carefully touched the ripen coffee cherries, truck drivers and sometimes seamen transported that coffee to the roasting houses and finally we picked up from the store and mercilessly grind it
at home and pour hot water all over it.

What an emotional journey and sacrifice to satisfy our desire to drink it.
So good bye thread, you were great friend and teacher.
Rest in Peace thread somewhere in the digital cemetery of pixels, 0 and 1.
Maybe I will visit you sometimes sipping on a cup of great coffee reminiscing your glory days.

Let's celebrate now anons, I'm getting teary-eyed now I better go now anons
see you in the next thread
>>
>>8973092
Yeah you're right, but I cannot ask her we are no longer in contact. What are some general rules to get rid of bitterness in coffee? I could start with that.
>>
>>8976677
OK, let's start with this, two types of coffee beans, Arabica and Robusta as you can read in this post,
>>8959574
>Not many people are aware but the Arabica coffee beans contain almost halve of the caffeine that the Robusta coffee beans contain, so for many people switching to Arabica beans could be good choice to reduce the caffeine intake.
>10 DIFFERENCES BETWEEN ROBUSTA & ARABICA COFFEE
>https://theroasterspack.com/blogs/news/15409365-10-differences-between-robusta-arabica-coffee

>What’s The Difference Between Arabica And Robusta Coffee?
>https://driftaway.coffee/arabica-robusta/
>FOR THOSE WHO DRINK COFFEE EVERY DAY YOU SHOULD LEARN THOSE DIFFERENCES SO YOU CAN MAKE EDUCATED CHOICES.
>Also remember as I said here >>8957921
>>the widely accepted thinking is that 100% Arabica coffee beans have much better taste than Robusta coffee beans, maybe for your next purchase explore this option.
>>but be aware that (as with all foods) there are different levels of quality of 100%Arabica beans, not all Arabica beans are of good high quality.
>So if it says on the package 100% Arabica that is not automatic assurance that you are getting good tasting beans, same as with cars or computers or phones, you understand the drift.

Anon your question can not be really answered in one simple sentence, because it depends greatly what type of coffee beans and what roast level you are using or planing to use.
For example Robusta beans roasted to dark roast will give you that bitterness, Robusta roasted to medium roast will be much less.
If you skipped reading this please read it to understand the symptoms, >>8959655
and here,
>>8959744
>Differences between Arabica and Robusta Coffee
>https://www.coffeechemistry.com/general/agronomy/differences-arabica-and-robusta-coffee

Another reason coffee will taste bitter is extraction time and water temperature, but that is related to what method of brewing you are using.
>>
>>8976677
>>8976744
I just looked at your first post >>8972786 and I understand that you are not brewing coffee now, so I understand your general questioning of this coffee bitterness topic.
So besides two types of coffee beans there are differences where they come from, like same vine grape variety grown in different countries will acquire different taste characteristics.

Generally is accepted that 100%Arabica coffee beans (of good/high quality) will taste much smoother than Robusta coffee.
But as I said before water temperature and brewing time and brewing method is affecting that as well.
It might sound complicated (and in a way it is) but is also quite easy to learn that and to eliminate possible sources and reasons of that bitterness.

For example this anon introduced different approach to brewing coffee in moka pot, >>8953302 very valuable info in his post in relation to brewing time.
So as you can see there is some learning curve, you can first by reading other posts decide what brewing method you are attracted to and what is your budget to buy the gadgets.
I own stainless steel moka pot, AeroPress and french press, but french press I don't use it anymore. Moka pot is my fav and AeroPress second.
I don't like using paper filters because I like to get the coffee oils, some people don't, so in my AeroPress i use metal filter, not the paper filters, and moka pot has no choice it has only metal filter.

This anon >>8975141 bought this press coffee maker that I suggested here >>8960770
so as you can see there is some variety not only in types of coffee beans and roasting levels but also in brewing methods and techniques with each method.

Sorry I can not give you simpler answer but as you can see it's not possible, same like answering what is the best car. But are we talking about sports car, SUV, sedan,truck, etc

See if anons in this new thread can be of more help >>8976006
Thread posts: 320
Thread images: 82

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.