[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Starting out in a restaurant

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_20170427_212430138.png (1MB, 749x999px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170427_212430138.png
1MB, 749x999px
I've decided that I want to take my passion of cooking and turn it into a career, and I think I need a little help concerning where I should start. I am not professionally trained, but I have been following my grandmother and mother, both of who have held positions as head chefs at a large golf course/catering center, for my whole life. I have an adept knowledge of classical french techniques, and have been delving into more modernist techniques such as sous vide and molecular gastronomy. What would be the best way to get into a professional kitchen? Im looking to start somewhere at the very bottom peeling vegetables, and eventually working my way to sous chef or even executive chef. Any tips on finding a restaurant with a kitchen staff that would be willing to take me on as an apprentice? If it's any help, I am a 21 year old man living within commuting distance to minneapolis, MN.

t. flyover state anon with dreams of becoming a professional chef without classical training
>>
>>8918377
Usually a hand job does the trick. But you might also need to suck some cock.

Marco White could probably weigh in on this.
>>
>>8918377
>passion of cooking
>career

Say goodbye to your soul.
>>
>>8918377
The following user says thank you for your time and consideration and I told you to kill yourself you dumb faggot iCuck leaf faggot ass to the other day you underaged retards completely honest with you though that spam is not your personal clubhouse so get some help you out of the time and consideration and I will be worth it just to get a hat wobble you have to go back to facebook then kill yourself
>>
>>8918377
get ready to hate cooking
>>
>>8918377
I hear heroin can get your foot in the door.
>>
>>8918389
I've worked management at Jimmy John's for 2 years, my soul is already crushed.
>>
>>8918377
you'll just have to figure out how to change career paths at 30 when you're still making shit money and working twice as much as normal people work.

its totally different from cooking at home, not enjoyable or inspiring at all.
>>
>>8918377
you will need experience working in a kitchen before any chef will take you on to handle a busy service

also just a warning, working in a kitchen is a good way to burn out the enjoyment you get from cooking. Not for everyone, but it happens a lot.

You will be starting off low on the totem pole.
You can probably expect to start off as a prep cook, unless you are really lucky in looking for job openings and an extremely good interviewer.

So look for prep cook jobs in the kinds of places you'd like to work. Try to get face-to-face with chefs and managers rather than sending in online applications. Probably in nicer places you will not be able to get a job as a completely untrained prepcook, but it's possible. Don't be afraid to pull a few months in slightly lowerclass establishments while angling upwards - building your resume never hurt anyone. Just don't stay in a shit job for too long.
>>
>>8918377
>training

dogs are trained. humans can teach themselves. you may as well be 'trained' on the fryer at McDicks
>>
>>8918405
Thanks for the advice, it's well appreciated.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.