[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hot sauce making and general spicy thread? Just made my first

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: chile-habanero2.jpg (17KB, 330x187px) Image search: [Google]
chile-habanero2.jpg
17KB, 330x187px
Hot sauce making and general spicy thread?

Just made my first hot sauce, used habaneros fresnos and jalapenos plus other ingredients. Blended all together. Do you guys prefer blending or vinegar soak sauces?
>>
>>8915657
I made a 3% brine fermented tabasco last year because I saw a thread here on it. Came out much better than the vinegar based I'd always done before. I'm not posting a pic because I did yesterday and when I've posted duplicate pics in the homebrew thread some autist always starts wailing about it. I ground them with the brine, but I'm going to just leave the habaneros that I'm growing this year halved. The flavor of fermented is much deeper than vinegar brined.
>>
File: cooking veggies.jpg (96KB, 500x708px) Image search: [Google]
cooking veggies.jpg
96KB, 500x708px
I've been wanting to make some using the simple louisana copycat recipe but for the life of me I can't find anyone selling red jalapenos in kansas city. I might have to grow my own.
>>
>>8915657
Vinegar but not too heavy. Actually I would prioritize an old bottle of wine that is becoming vinegar to store-bought...but I digress.

Thai hot chilies all day, reduce the sauce to your hotness level.
>>
How should chillies smell when fermenting? I'm doing birdseye chili's in a 2% brine and they smell acidic with a hint of funk.

Also, tips for preventing the white film that forms on top?
>>
I sautee all of my hot-sauces in order to reduce them, you should try it OP :^)
>>
I have a bunch of dried red chilis. How do I use them to make my curry hot? Just chop em up and add them in or maybe make a chili paste out of them?
>>
How can I make hot sauce that tastes like pic related without the snot green colouring?
>>
>>8916806
Your snot isn't supposed to be green that means you've got an infection in your system
>>
Is there a general guide that's been posted in these threads before? I've got quite a few peppers planted in the garden, might practice on some store bought first. Any pointers for a first time
>>
>>8915657
Cepoguzac is our local brand of hot sauce. It's called "ass tearer"
>>
File: canola_bottle.png (382KB, 700x493px) Image search: [Google]
canola_bottle.png
382KB, 700x493px
>>8916806
Easy, you buy iik instead.
>>
>>8916802
>maybe make a chili paste out of them?

Use equal parts minced chili / garlic / ginger.

Great flavor, and adds the heat you like as well.
>>
>>8916806
why would you want to make mediocre hot sauce?
>>
>>8916791
I used a 3% brine and it smelled a little funky for the first week, but after that it didn't. It's my understanding that the brine should be 3-5%, so you may have used too little salt. Also be sure to use kosher or pickling salt. I didn't have any mold form but make sure the peppers were submerged. I have had mold form on top of sauerkraut and I just skim it off.
>>
I made several kinds of sambal in the past.

Favourite is the mix between madame Jeanette, Rawit, Lombok and Bhut Jolokia. I used sunflower oil and baked the grinded peppers in that for my baked sambal. Added the salt after baking.
>>
>>8917133
Damn. Maybe I should add salt? I also started with a little brine from a previous batch of sauerkraut
>>
>>8917253
>add salt?

Idk. I guess it would depend on how long it's been going already. I'm no expert by any means, but my 3% brine fermented for 1 month came out great. Just curious, how did you decide on a 2% brine? I know with sauerkraut it's 2% salt by weight rubbed into the shredded cabbage, but if using a brine it's 3-5%.
>>
>>8917558
I'd read that sauerkraut could be topped up with a 2% brine if there wasn't enough to cover, and assumed it was a good general purpose number to use. Hopefully it turns out well, and if not it's just $2 of chilli wasted.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.