[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Instead of going to culinary school could I just pat time at

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 1460422440662655.png (296KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
1460422440662655.png
296KB, 375x523px
Instead of going to culinary school could I just pat time at low grade restraunts to become a chef? Say I want to learn mexican qusine I work at a mexican restraunt with the sole purpose of learning then quit after a month?
>>
>>8915305
>a month
kek

10 years.
Still learning.

I'll bet there's lots of things Ramsay doesn't know too.
>>
at least where I live (/ck/anada) a lot of places want a certificate saying you've completed culinary schooling
>>
Culinary school, as long as you're not going to some prissy faggot elitist institution, tend not to be very expensive and subsidized by the local community. You can even get scholarships for it. Take it.

Being a head chef isn't just about knowing how to make good food. It's about being competent enough to lead a team to productively and consistently deliver good food at a certain level of quality. You might say that's easy or something you can learn on the job, but most cooks you'll be leading are druggies and criminals.
>>
>>8915330
This. Being a minority and illiterate only improves your chance at scholarships. It's free money bro
>>
I went through the le cordon bleu baking program, and have worked in the industry for 10+ years now, and I've worked with a ton of people who have gone through culinary and baking programs, and in my opinion, in general, they really aren't worth too much. If you are really passionate and dedicated, school is nice because you get to work with a lot chefs in really short order, and it forces you to think critically about what your doing. On the other hand, just about every single person in my program was either a kid who had no idea what they wanted to do, or an older person trying to start a second career.

The hard truth is, before you are any kind of "chef" you're going to need to put 10+ years into the industry before you're worth a shit. No one comes out of school and starts running a restaurant, shit, most people won't give you a paying job until you've got some time externing, because school grads with no experience are shit in a real kitchen environment.

My advice is, go work in any shitty kitchen, even an Applebees, for a month. If you absolutely hate that, or can't get a handle on being in a rush and working fast and clean, kitchen work isn't for you. If you do well, go try and find a real kitchen job, probably doing prep, and work your up. If you want to really go next level you can go to school, but you'll learn just as much taking jobs in the industry.
>>
I never went to culinary school. I work as a private chef to mostly country musicians....school imo is a waste of time.
>>
>>8915305
I know owners that learned completely in the field. There's very few things a culinary school can teach you that you can't learn in a year or so of working in a real kitchen.

Unless you want to be a Matradee.
>>
>>8915814
> as a private chef to mostly country musicians

Boy howdy! That must be the pinnacle of culinary innovation! Them folk most likely can detect the nuances in flavor between 10 different grits recipes. You're at the peak, my friend.
>>
>>8915305

>X after WR on casting cost

T R I G G E R E D
>>
>>8915305
Why even bother with the job? Just watch youtube videos of chefs then make a video of you watching their videos and preparing the food and use that as your resume
>>
>>8915305
I learnt on the job

Currently running the kitchen in a small cafe with a year of experience

I would like to go to culinary school still but it's hard to justify the money it would cost when I already have a well paying kitchen job
>>
>>8915305
DESU is not worth it if the institute has shit load of theory classes instead prioritize practical class.
>>
>>8916041
>Howdy
>folk
>grits
Should have said "Thems folks"

Really country slanged it for you.
"Ohhh boy howdy! That there must be the got dang pinnacle of cul'nary innoooovation! Thems folks sure can detect them nuances an' flavor between pepaw an' pawpa's grits. Y'alls right there at the top friend.

>I fucking hate where I live.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.