[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how to get perfect crust

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: crust.jpg (16KB, 202x142px) Image search: [Google]
crust.jpg
16KB, 202x142px
what is your secret for perfect crust on pork roast?
>>
>>8914159

1) Get a cut of pork that has the skin left on it
2) Dry the meat, score the skin, salt it.
3) Stick it in the oven until a remote temp probe reads the correct internal temperature. I pull mine at 145F on the thermometer; as it rests that comes up to a nice "medium" which I think is ideal for pork.

If you can't find a pork roast with the skin on it then you can cheat: Get a piece of pork belly with the skin on (much easier to find). Slice off the skin using a sharp knife and then use transglutaminase (aka "meat glue") to stick it to your roast.
>>
>>8914159
use fine salt
>>
>>8914159
>obtain pork with skin
>brine it if you want
>Score and salt skin thoroughly then put in the fridge, uncovered, overnight or until dry
>roast in a low oven (200F) until internal temp is about 135-140F
>remove from oven and rest
>meanwhile, heat oven up to 475F
>once meat is rested, return to oven to puff/crisp skin
If you do it right the skin should be super crispy and since you do your resting step after the main cook but before you crisp the skin, you can cut and serve right away, so the skin is as crispy as possible.
>>
>>8914191
transglutaminase only works meat to meat. You can use it to bind fat to fat, skin to skin, or either to flesh. They lack the compounds necessary to make it work.
>>
>>8914159

Mah dude, anon.

All you gotta do is dry the skin as much as possible so as to facilitate the maillard effect. The other anons have given you solid bits of info that you can use but if you keep in mind why you're doing shit, you can better apply advice.
>>
>>8914159
Molasses
>>
>>8914159
Butter.
Not even joking.
>>
File: schweinebraten.jpg (961KB, 3508x2481px) Image search: [Google]
schweinebraten.jpg
961KB, 3508x2481px
Schweinebraten from the overweight Austrian physicist Werner Gruber – see pic related

I used his recipe a few times now – the roast itself always turned out to be awesome. The recipe says to use 9 tablespoons of salt – I don’t recommend that amount since your side dishes are going to be way too salty

what you need:
>1 pork shoulder with skin (~2.5kg)
>2 - 3 Tbsp of salt
>2 Tbsp of cilantro seeds
>2 Tbsp of cumin
>10 cloves+ of garlic (just use a hole clove)
>potatoes, carrots, onions
>lots of butter

you don’t need to cut the skin beforehand

preparation:
1) crush cilantro in a mortar with cumin and salt, use a garlic press to crush the garlic and mix everything together
2) rub your pork, put everything in a plastic bag, put said bag into a fridge for a minimum of 24h

cooking:
1) preheat oven with 180°C
2) use a big rectangular baking form (can’t find a suitable translation for this thing, called Kasserolle in German) and put your roast skin side DOWN into it, fill it with water. butter the top side of the roast and put the pork into the oven for 45 min
3) put the roast out, turn it around and use a knife to cut the skin. it’s soft now – you can use a butter knife to cut it
4) cover the skin side with butter, add more water and side dishes like potatoes, carrots and onions
5) put the roast back for 2h at 180°C, you don’t have to put any moisture on the skin – don’t open the oven door to check, since you will only let the steam out
6) if the skin isn’t crispy after 2h put the roast back at the top tray with top heat for a few minutes
7) let the roast rest for 25 minutes
>>
cont.

what I usually do at this point is to separate the ingredients and put them back into the oven at 50°C or so to keep them warm – you don’t need to do this for the roast itself – I like to keep the veggies warm though

>pour the sauce into a pot, heat it and skim the fat
>mix a teaspoon of cornstarch with some water in a glass
>pour the mixture into the boiling sauce to thicken it
rinse and repeat until you have the consistency you like

serve and eat
>>
>>8915444

that's not true.

we've taken the fat caps off of lamb loin, taken the silverskin off, and then glued the loin/tenderloin/fat cap back together, tied tightly with twine, and sous vide it after letting it sit overnight.

it was great and the fat stuck to the meat perfectly
>>
>>8915325
This. if you wanna be absolutely sure, you can also pre-dry the skin with a hairblower before you put the roast in the oven.
>>
>>8916697
Its interesting that your little anecdote actually disobeys science and the empirical evidence from countless chefs around the globe.
>>
File: IMG-20170505-WA0011.jpg (87KB, 734x503px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20170505-WA0011.jpg
87KB, 734x503px
>>8914159
Don't forget an apple!
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.