[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best book for a nub who's never cooked in his life?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

File: shoulder-shrug[1].jpg (32KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
shoulder-shrug[1].jpg
32KB, 600x400px
I just wanna learn the basic recipes n' shit
>>
File: food revoloution.jpg (13KB, 197x256px) Image search: [Google]
food revoloution.jpg
13KB, 197x256px
>>8894372

As far as beginner cookbooks go this one is fantastic (despite the author being a first-class gigafag). I've bought several copies of this as gifts for people wanting to get into cooking.
>>
>>8894379
i'll check it out, thx
>>
>>8894372
The internet.
>>
>>8894379
Jamie's a faggot, but his home cooking videos are good if you're just getting started.
>>
>>8894372
Youtube.

Cook books are lame as fuck.

Pick a meal. Find a couple of vids of people making it and choose one that you think caters more to your taste, then make it. Too easy.
>>
>>8894379
I would never read a book by a fatass who preaches "healthy eating."
>>
Why isn't there a sticky for recommended readings to learn how to cook? I'm sure that would get more people on this board at least interested in cooking.
>>
>>8896019
This.
The internet and youtube blow cookbooks out of the water.

Start with eggs. They are cheap and quick and will help you develop skills that transfer to most other types of cooking.
>>
The Joy Of Cooking.
It has all the basics anybody, chef to causal cook, needs.
>>
File: EsentialPepin.png (215KB, 1027x751px) Image search: [Google]
EsentialPepin.png
215KB, 1027x751px
Learn from Pepin'. He wrote a couple of books in the 70's that every modern chef has read/studied. It's not a cookbook but a technique book. He recently moved the techniques to video with a cookbook called Essential Pepin'. It all French technique but its very basic and shows you everything you need to do in order to follow cookbooks. His recipes are good too.
>>
>>8894372
Get this, read it, love it.

https://www.amazon.com/Joy-of-Cooking/dp/0743246268/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1493958973&sr=1-1&keywords=the+joy+of+cooking
>>
>>8896156
>>8896202
The joy of cooking is easily surpassed by any of the cooks illustrated stuff. You're better off buying a year subscription to the cooks illustrated website.
>>
>>8894372
mark bittman - how to cook everything
>>
File: Science-of-Good-Cooking_main-05.jpg (122KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Science-of-Good-Cooking_main-05.jpg
122KB, 1200x1200px
>>8896019
>Youtube. Cook books are lame as fuck.
Really just this. If you do want to learn the science behind cooking and why certain recipes will tell you to do certain things for the heck of it, this book compiled by Cook's Illustrated magazine (available online as an ebook) is good one. Below is the video cliff notes version by the authors and a playlist of various vignettes featured therein:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSRfyDR5kOw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjPCPs-RI7Q&list=PLnbzopdwFrnb7QgoSDeIJH3R3Y9CagMCl

Also The Food Lab by Kenji López-Alt (again floating around the internet as a PDF), but it's basically just a compilation of all of the various articles/recipes available on seriouseats.com and here:
https://www.youtube.com/user/SeriousEats

Last author who knows his stuff and would be good bedtime reading if you really cared is anything written by Harold McGee, and specifically On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen.
>>
File: patheticrei.png (2MB, 1376x1064px) Image search: [Google]
patheticrei.png
2MB, 1376x1064px
>>8894379
>>8894372
>>8895890
>>8896019
>>8896114
>>8896150
>>8896156
>>8896178
>>8896202
>>8896215
>>8896243
>>8896275

btw I wasn't going to reply to everyone until it became clear everyone was an idiot. Anyone who doesn't know how to cook is the stupidest form of creature. It's a basic survival instinct. Geese don't need to be taught how to fly south, they just know. If you can't figure it out on your own, you're hopeless.
>>
>>8896901
Thank you, superior anime-based lifeform
>>
>>8896901
And I assume you can cook a 10/10 french omlette straight out of the womb, with no prior knowledge of cooking?
>>
>>8898106
You're welcome.

>>8898130
Why would you assume that you dense motherfucker?
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.