[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the secret to a good savory oatmeal?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: 57f401db1b0000c313ef480e.jpg (180KB, 610x827px) Image search: [Google]
57f401db1b0000c313ef480e.jpg
180KB, 610x827px
What's the secret to a good savory oatmeal?
>>
>>8891602
Seriously though - salt. Just a little bit makes all the difference.
>>
Can we get some god tier oatmeal recipes? I've got a ton of steel cut oats and no idea what to do with them.
>>
>>8891672
My standard steel cut prep:

>melt 1 tbsp of butter in a pot and measure ~1/4 cup of oats
>mix the oats into the butter and leave on med heat
>mix it all up and add some salt
>pour in ~1 1/2 cup water and stir
>let it boil until muchy, stirring frequently because that shit sticks to the bottom of the pot and will waste some of the grain
>when finished, transfer to a bowl and stir in some honey and hazelnut creamer
>eat

Shit's delicious but the salt is key.
>>
File: IMG_0311.jpg (13KB, 284x177px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0311.jpg
13KB, 284x177px
Add some very finely chopped, carmelized shallots
>>
>>8891602
>savory oatmeal

No, just no. Savory and oatmeal are two words that shouldn't belong in the same sentence together. How fucking sick do you have to be to put vegetables and bacon in your fucking oatmeal?
>>
>>8891734
This. Oatmeal is for sweets.
>>
>>8891734
>savory and grains is bad

Do you only eat rice in a pudding?
>>
>>8891734
>my opinion dictates the ONLY way anybody should do things

Lol, I seriously wonder if it's this kind of retarded shit that goes through your head before you post some dumbass comment like that. If you don't like savory oatmeal, close the thread.

>REEEE EVERYBODY SHOULD HEAR MY OPINION
>>
i like to put rolled oats with my kimchi
>>
>>8891602
Basic pottage
Prepare 6-8 cups of broth either beef or chicken
In broth boil cabbage cut into strips, onion, garlic, carrots.
After Cabbage has become tender add in scrap meat and some black pepper to taste, then when meat has warmed sprinkle in quick oats or add oats of your choosing at the proper time (the cabbage usually takes 15-25 minutes boiling to cook). Remove pottage from heat and wait for soup to become a delicious goop with a savory oatmeal base. Can be turned soupier by adding further broth after oats have cooled down and absorbed the maximum liquid they can hold.

It is simple and delicious. The amount of vegetables you use depends entirely on your taste and how big your pot is, honestly it is a simple peasant recipe that is nearly impossible to fuck up so measurements are rarely necessary, a bit of celery helps too but isnt necessary. Also a cinnamon stick boiling with it in the broth can be used as it is an old ingredient for Medieval cabbage soups and can add a good body to the flavor profile.
>>
Cook em like grits. Salt, pepper, hot sauce, butter, cheese, leftover bits of meat, Marmite, whatever.
>>
>>8891734
t. chocolate chip dollar pancakes topped with whipped cream orderer from when they were 4-suicide
>>
>>8891602
use broth instead of water, makes all the difference
>heat some olive oil in the pot, cook some onions, garlic, salt & pepper and whatever other herbs & spices you like
>add the oats dry, stir everything together a little bit
>then pour in whatever broth you want - just measure it according to the directions on the package of oats
>cook to taste, stirring frequently
>if you want, add some meat and/or veggies a few minutes before it's done cooking
>>
>>8891602
Heh, all these rolled-oats fags.

Just add hot water to insta oats and add salt. Maybe a dollop of greek yogurt, but it's really good.

Bland is a flavor to appreciate...
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.