[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

eating healthy for retards

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: breakfast lunch and dinner.jpg (30KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
breakfast lunch and dinner.jpg
30KB, 320x240px
Does /ck/ have any advice on how to eat healthy for cheap? Coming straight out of college with probably more salt in my blood then Amy's Baking Company has made me fear for my health. I am trying to turn my life around with good food and low on a budget. But I'll be frank it's fairly overwhelming.

I understand the basics are mass prepping/freezing, jarring, and buying in season. However that alone raises so many questions really know where to begin. From what is everything I should try and fit into my diet each day/week, what should you jar/how to do it without getting botulism, what is “in season”, where do you track down good recipes, and ect...

I'm not looking to be spoon feed. I completely understand that it's my responsibility to do my own research but I usually have the luxury of boards wiki to get me started. However with so many websites out there with advice like eating only meat and potatoes will lead to a healthy life it makes it hard to sort through the trash.

Any advice on getting started would be appreciated.
>>
Learn to cook your own food. If every meal you make is made yourself you'll learn more about health and recipes.
>>
Salt isn't even bad for you nigga
>>
File: Pepper.jpg (26KB, 482x270px) Image search: [Google]
Pepper.jpg
26KB, 482x270px
>>8890735
Cook per week and get used to it. If you make chicken parm, make enough for 7 days and use the freezer when necessary.

Use salt sparingly, yes it's a flavor enhancer but it will also make you retain water weight, not really fatness but flubbyness...if that makes sense.

Get some exercise set up and scheduled. You don't need a gym membership, just some running shoes for cardio-vascular and a couple of weights assuming you want to lift. Write it out and stick too it.

COOK. Your stomach will shrink over time if you eat less but even if you eat less you need to eat more GOOD. You likely wont feel satisfied or full for a couple of weeks, but dieting isn't about feeling full...that's a false positive...it's about being able to look in the mirror and say "fuck yeah" at your own reflection.
>>
>>8890735
>I understand the basics are mass prepping/freezing, jarring,
No, I have no idea how you ever got that idea.

The basics of eating healthy for cheap are eating simply, by building your meals around cheap and nutritious staple foods, and adding fruits, vegetables and animal products to the extent that the budget allows, in that order. You use whole grains, pseudograins, lentils and beans, you get your fruits and vegetables, you get fat from cheaper nuts and seeds (or oils, if you must), and you limit your animal products to the minimal amount needed to get all the nutrients in. A healthier diet is going to be higher in carbohydrates and lower in animal protein and animal fat, therefore it's also going to be cheaper. Diet-related health problems are concentrated in populations with high income, which also happen to have a high intake of animal products and fat.
>>
>>8890735
healthy and cheap?

Cabbage. Learn to love it
>>
>>8890735
get cabbage, onion, potato, beans and spices
chop
throw in bowl
boil for a few mins
crack an egg in for a minute
eat
>>
>>8890775
>Diet-related health problems are concentrated in populations with high income, which also happen to have a high intake of animal products and fat.

Disinfo vegan get out.
>>
>>8890775
Basmati rice. Protein and carbs in one shot, double whammy.
>>
>>8890753
That's fair. Do you have any recommended dishes? I picked up a fuckton of beans and rice because from what I know it's a good place to start in terms of price and health. But I'd be willing to try anything.

>>8890762
Well beyond being a dumb joke last I check ungodly amounts of sodium and high blood pressure does not for a long life make.

>>8890768
Thanks for the advice. Certainly all things that I have been considering.

>>8890775
I don't necessarily disagree but isn't bulk always cheaper?

>>8890786
>>8890791
Everyday? Three times a day?
>>
>>8890735
lazy faggot blaming everything on other rather than themselves. Learn to take responsibility of your own actions.
>>
>>8890805
>I understand the basics are mass prepping/freezing
>Everyday? Three times a day?
i dont think you understand the point of mass prepping if youre asking that question
>>
>>8890735
>buy vegetables
>cut and mix vegetables
>add some spices
>apply heat

thats all you have to do
>>
>>8890794
Well I'm obviously talking about diseases of excess - diabetes, cardiovascular disease, cancer. Very poor people are at risk for nutritional deficiency, which I guess you are right is also a "diet-related health problem", but not the type that you would necessarily get from eating fried chicken and burgers every day.

>>8890786
>>8890791
I agree that cabbage and onions are always fantastic choices. Carrots are good too, they are cheap in most places I assume.

>>8890805
>I don't necessarily disagree but isn't bulk always cheaper?
You might save electricity I guess. But not really much, unless you want to eat frozen food - so you have to reheat it, which also costs electricity. I mean I'm just talking from personal experience - I cook twice a day for 15 minutes and don't have any problems. I don't own a fridge.

Beans are an issue though, if you want them. They take long to cook without a pressure cooker. So they can be good to cook in bulk and freeze - however, you can also get a pressure cooker instead. Or you can just eat red lentils like so many people do - done in 10 minutes and you got your protons, choline, etc.

>Everyday? Three times a day?
I eat onions, cabbage and carrot every day year round, they're always cheap. In the summer I also go for tomatoes, lettuce, broccoli as well. If you don't like cabbage and onions, that can become a small problem (where I live, almost ever other vegetable costs at least twice as much, usually 3 times more and beyond)

>I picked up a fuckton of beans and rice because from what I know it's a good place to start in terms of price and health.
Absolutely correct, this is the way to go. Oats are another favorite.
>>
>>8890820
I am taking responsibility. That's why I am turning around how I eat before I do any real damage. By being humble, admitting I made a mistake, and asking people who know more then me. Care to try again kiddo?

>>8890826
I meant is that the only thing I need to eat to live a healthy life for the rest of my life? It seems like very little to meet all of the nutritional requirements a body needs.

Also not that I have any issues if that is the case but mixing it up with more than one dish never hurts. Just because I want to eat healthy doesn't mean I shouldn't enjoy my meals and mix it up with different prepped dishes.

>>8890830
What spices would you recommend?
>>
>>8890847
I don't mind picking up some new equipment to make my life easier. Is there any features I should look for in one? Or should I just buy the cheapest and hope my kitchen doesn't become the Boston marathon?
>>
>>8890855
you are vastly overestimating how "complicated" eating healthy is. people lived for thousands of years before knowing what calories and vitamins were
>>
File: hey_uh_nevermind.jpg (18KB, 300x562px) Image search: [Google]
hey_uh_nevermind.jpg
18KB, 300x562px
>>8890876
I mean you do have a point. I guess I have been kind of conditioned to assume anything worth doing right has to have a lot of thought put into it.

I guess I also figured that while they did live for thousands of years without knowing what to eat that there was some trial and error that became tradition and has been lost in this modern age.
>>
>>8890855
If you eat an affordable diet based on whole grains, legumes, fruits and vegetables with some nuts and seeds, there are some nutrients of concern that may be preferable from animal sources at least some of the time - off the top of my head, zinc, choline, iodine, omega-3s, maybe calcium (and vitamin B12 which is obvious).

So you have to decide whether you want to run any supplements. Do you want to eat animal products every day? Animal protein is almost always going to be more expensive than getting those calories from beans or grains. But a healthy diet without supplements has to include seafood in my opinion. Eggs are also a good and affordable choice and contrary to vegan propaganda, contain a good amount of vitamins and minerals. If you run a supplement stack, that in itself can generate some cost.
>>
>>8890805
everything in moderation

cabbage is cheap as fuck and has like no calories so if you can eat it every few days you will lose some weight, save your wallet, and have better poops
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.