[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Spicy stir fry

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_7567.jpg (114KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7567.jpg
114KB, 900x675px
Cooking newfag here.

Can someone give me some tips on how to make a good spicy stir fry?
>>
>>8886055

Just go with the generic stir fry sequence, and you should be fine.
1. Heat wok (cast iron or carbon steel skillets can work too)
2. Add oil, wait for it to just start smoking a bit, then add aromatics to the oil until they're fragrant. I always use a combo of garlic / ginger / chili paste made with fresh ingredients. You only need to cook this for like 30 seconds, if that.
3. Add protein and brown.
4. Add veggies and toss.
5. Finish by adding a sauce and any seasonings, and toss until covered.

Use stock as the base for your sauces, and thicken, as needed with a corn starch slurry.

Done.
>>
>>8886086
Thanks, mate. Will try it out.
>>
>>8886055
Don't be afraid to cook your meats and veggies separately if you feel you need better control to cook them properly.

I use a wok and dump the meat out after I cook it, then do the veggies so I don't over cook the meat, and can more easily monitor the veggies. The veggies should be cooked through, but still have a crispy texture and not be mushy.

After I cook the veggies, I'll dump them too, add the sauce to thicken it in the heat, and then just dump everything in, season as needed, turn off the heat, and use the remaining heat in the wok to warm everything together and mix in all the sauce.

I make kung pao dishes, sweet and sour dishes, and the occasional Thai dish, and they all turn out fucking awesome.
>>
>>8886086
That's not the proper stir fry sequence, lol.
The best sequence that gives you the most control is to first cook your meats and remove them, then cook your veg and remove them, then add your aromatics (and your rice or noodles if you're using them), make your sauce, and add everything back in and toss to mix. If you cook everything together without separating them then it will take longer to cook your veggies because the it will be harder to heat everything in the pan/wok evenly and you'll wind up with bits of overcooked meat and undercooked veg and it makes it a lot harder to make a good sauce and season everything properly at the end. Also, you can't use that method to make stir fries where you fry the meat in cornstarch otherwise you'll end up with a dish that's way too oily and meat that's soggy instead of crispy because of all the water that the veggies release when you cook them.

If you really want to do it right you need a tall pot next to your work where you keep your oil with two strainers that sit on top. When you're done cooking something you put it in the strainer and then set it over the pot so that it will drain any excess oil (meat on bottom, veg on top). This way you can easily adjust the amount of oil you use for frying (more for meat, less for veg, zero or very little for your sauce) and your meat will stay crispy without getting soggy.
>>
>>8886808

The purpose of adding the arromatics first is to infuse the oil, which helps impart the flavor into everything else.

Regardless....
>tall pot next to your work where you keep your oil with two strainers that sit on top. When you're done cooking something you put it in the strainer and then set it over the pot so that it will drain any excess oil

That's a great tip and I agree with that completely.
>>
>>8886055
put everything in the pan at once, including sauce. make sure that sauce is legit (soy sauce, ginger, garlic, something spicy like red pepper flakes or sriracha, something sweet like honey, water to dilute the soysauce). crank the heat up high as a motherfucker. you probably wanna use an induction burner since most peoples stovetops are like kiddy toys. let that shit start boiling like a mofo and mix it a few times, then when you notice it drying up, mix it more till its getting really dry. once its so dry that its about to start burning, take it off the heat and eat. GG.
>>
>>8886835
>The purpose of adding the arromatics first is to infuse the oil, which helps impart the flavor into everything else.
This doesn't make sense, if you're going to cook your ingredients separately then you're going to lose that flavor when you drain the oil. If you don't cook them separately then you run the risk of burning your aromatics when you cook your meat unless you turn down the heat, but then you get soggy meat instead of crispy meat. Plus, stir-fries are dishes where you want to coat everything in the dish evenly with the same sauce, if you just cook the aromatics in a little bit of oil at the end when you make your sauce you get the same effect as doing it at the start without all the downsides.
>>
File: tmp_30691-NjXJ8V2-1696745860.png (3MB, 625x7465px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_30691-NjXJ8V2-1696745860.png
3MB, 625x7465px
>>
>>8886055
http://thewoksoflife.com
>>8888781
Saved
>>
Is it pleb to add egg to a stir fry or something?
>>
When I fry rice I always add egg, you don't have to though.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.