[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Knife noob questions here, is there a huge difference between

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

File: 61+nHPIG1yL._SY355_.jpg (10KB, 355x355px) Image search: [Google]
61+nHPIG1yL._SY355_.jpg
10KB, 355x355px
Knife noob questions here, is there a huge difference between a Chef's Knife and a Santoku knife, thinking about getting a new one and prefer Santoku and not sure if I should go with Global or Wusthof if I do get one.
>>
I'm a fan of global knives, I'm told the upkeep is easier and they are generally a bit cheaper.
>>
File: Persona de moda.jpg (677KB, 1600x2131px) Image search: [Google]
Persona de moda.jpg
677KB, 1600x2131px
A chef's knife is really limited, in a real pro kitchen they are only used for carving large roasts and stuff like that. The length makes it dangerous in a more general cooking situation, and the extra weight makes them difficult to control. Most housewives just buy them out of peer pressure and then they stop using them. It's a huge waste of money.

Santoku (which is Japanese for "three virtues") are much more versatile and for this reason have taken the cooking world by storm in recent years. They're not only lighter and more maneuverable (somewhat like a traditional samurai sword), but they are also much, MUCH sharper than a chef's knife. Counterintuitively, a sharp knife is safer.

I would deffo get the global or better still, Shun. Keep in mind because it is a special type of blade, you CANNOT sharpen a santoku only hone it. Sharpening should be left to experts because otherwise you will destroy the blade. The great thing about Shun is that you get lifetime sharpening. In between sharpenings you can keep it at tip-top sharpness using a Shun honing steel. A couple of hard whacks on both sides and you're good as new!

The other thing you need is a chopping block. The Asians prefer bamboo for its natural healing properties. I would avoid wood because it absorbs bacteria where it can get trapped and spread disease.

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask!
>>
Thank you for the info, I put in the brands to hear some people's opinion as from what I read the Global have a sharper blade and are sharper but they can get slippery since the handle is also metal as a lot of others are not.
>>
>>8866166
The weeaboo in this post is strong. From what I can tell, a santoku knife is just a shorter chefs kn9fe. 90 percent of your post is bullshit.

Op., the truth is the best knife is the one that is comfortable in your hand that you are going to use. I've seen people throw down serious cash on expensive knives that just sit in a drawer. I'd go so far as to say that unless you're a professiinal, you really don't need something like a shun. Go to a good kitchen supply store and check out a bunch of different knives and see which one feels the best in your hand, and don't feel like you need to throw down a hundred a fifty b7cks on a fancy blade.
>>
>>8866166
I want to pull his beard off, stick it on you, then punch you in the beard.
>>
Ya, the big reason I was mentioning the big brands was for i'm getting new knives as a gift and they wanted to know the exact ones I would like and saw this on amazon today https://www.amazon.com/Global-G-48338-Santoku-Hollow-Utility/dp/B000RHYFD4/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1493335984&sr=1-1&keywords=global+santoku+7+inch+hollow+ground, not sure how good it is as a set but I do use all the knives currently in my kitchen but very low quality.
>>
>>8866166
In a real pro kitchen chef's knives are only used for carving roasts? Naw bro that would be a filet knife or another blade without a lot of width. Chef knives are the most versatile knife you can buy. Santoku are okay for cutting vegetables but not much else because of the shape and curvature of the edge or lack thereof. Also all chefs knives are not 12 inches, you can get a 6 inch chef knife the length is not prohibitory. I've been working in kitchens for 7 years and have found that preference for chef knife vs santoku vs cleaver is all a matter of taste. If you are a home cook the differences in the knives don't matter.
Honestly OP the knife choice depends on how you cut. Why not just get a couple victorinox knives and see which you like better? Then move on to higher end knives. I have a wusthof, and henckel chef knives and they are nice but for the price I would order a japanese blade online. I use my japanese knives way more because the retain sharpness for much longer.
>>
>>8866112
i bought a santoku thinking i would use it more. i dont. i mince more than anything and i seem to slide the same with both knives so it wasnt necessary to buy a santoku. unless you are doing some weird benihana shit where you slapping 2 santoku knives down like some kind of chopping machine, you are better with the other
>>
>>8866224
the rocking motion is necessary if you want to get good at cooking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y5h1pDHhzs
>>
File: 61l9rz9eW6L._SL1500_.jpg (110KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
61l9rz9eW6L._SL1500_.jpg
110KB, 1500x1500px
I recently also saw a Asians Chef Knife, it was Hollow Edge and looked like it was between a normal Chef Knife and a Santoku, is it the middle ground of the both?
>>
File: 1455166930868.jpg (42KB, 500x501px) Image search: [Google]
1455166930868.jpg
42KB, 500x501px
>>8866166
>somewhat like a traditional samurai sword
>>
>>8866229
You don't rock with a santoku, you just chop.
>>
File: knives.jpg (800KB, 2240x1344px) Image search: [Google]
knives.jpg
800KB, 2240x1344px
>>8866112

Why not get both?

I use both, but I tend to favor the Santoku for daily use.
>>
>>8866166
lmfao this is great satire, good laff

>>8866112
All you need to know if that the geometry is different. Traditionally santokus have a flatter edge, are taller, and shorter than gyutos. Santokus are normally more veggie oriented where a Chef's is more meat appropriate but either will do both tasks. Basically if you don't have a gyuto, get a gyuto if there isn't a good reason you prefer a santoku.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.