[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Noob knife questions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: download.jpg (8KB, 192x263px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
8KB, 192x263px
Is getting the Gourmet Wusthof knife's worth it? I know there stamped and wanted to know if getting these are the best for a budget knife set verses the forged ones.
>>
>>8860926
Not really, it's about the same quality overall.
>>
>>8860937

Even then, some forged ones are pretty much the same price (Grand Prix II, for example) 3 of the 4 sets Wusthof offers are forged. I know the Classic ones are expensive as fuck, but Grand Prix II are about $200 for the 7-piece set, and there is one type inbetween those that I can't remember that is forged.
>>
>>8860926
Fwiw, I purchased the wusthof IKON chef's knife after I graduated college (rather than get a full set), and I've loved it so far. It has a good weight to it, retains a blade pretty well, and is overall fun to use. You really only need 2 or 3 knives in your kitchen, so I'd rather get one nice knife that I'll use for years over a set of shitty printed knives that feel cheap in my hands
>>
>>8860949
If you need a set then yeah, $200 is a good price and Wusthof is a quality brand.

All my knives cost north of $100 each (Miyabi) but I have a couple of Wusthof knives that are great.
>>
>>8860952

I keep a Santoku and Chef's at my girlfriend's apartment. I always find myself really missing that Bread knife I have at home. It's funny how something can seem so unnecessary until you have it. I use that knife twice as often as any other.

The 7-piece Wusthof blocks have the Chefs and Bread and 3 other smaller fluff pieces. They work out to like $15 each after the standalone cost of the Chefs and Bread. It's like "Why not?"
>>
>>8860926

You most likely have zero need for a set. You need a chef's knife, something to sharpen it with, and a serrated knife for bread. I can't really think of anything else a home cook might need except maybe a pair of kitchen scissors.
>>
Ya, I agree with just getting the classic ones that last longer and feel better then the stamped ones, might go with the Grand Prix II 7 piece set then get a separate Santoku knife from them to.
>>
>>8860961

I just assumed OP was leaning in that direction since there was a picture of a block. But, yeah, he didn't say anything about blocks specifically.
>>
>>8860974

When the chef's knife is $80, and the bread knife is $95, why not pay the extra $25 for 3 knives, scissors, and a block? The block alone is worth $50.
>>
>>8860974
Everyone needs a paring knife.
>>
>>8860989
Fuck the block and get a magnet.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/schmidt-brothers-reg-acacia-18-inch-magnetic-cutlery-wall-bar/1043211593?skuId=43211593&mcid=PS_googlepla_nonbrand_cutlery_&product_id=43211593&adpos=1o1&creative=43742634469&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=Cj0KEQjwioHIBRCes6nP56Ti1IsBEiQAxxb5Gxzy9f5d3HuZ4rP5dgSsNbI8FLNo0dy6_0CVCMTMdgwaAhb38P8HAQ
>>
>>8860999
For cheaper knives sure, but if you have any singular knife in the $200+ range I would recommend a Saya or similar blade protection individually instead of putting in a block or using a magnet.
>>
>>8860989
>why not pay the extra $25 for 3 knives, scissors, and a block?

Because the money is not optimally spent.
You'd be better off buying a better chef's knife and then a basic victorinox bread knife. Paying $95 for a bread knife is absurd.

>>8860990
What for? I can see how a pro cook might need one if he has to carve fancy little garnishes or something but that's not typical for home cooking. What are you suggesting that a home cook needs a paring knife for that cannot be done with a chef's knife?
>>
>>8861012
>I can see how a pro cook might need one if he has to carve fancy little garnishes or something but that's not typical for home cooking.
Even then, at least with japanese chef knives, the higher end ones (kiritsuke and similar) will have a blade profile that allows for finer detail work like garnishes.

Pairing knives are pretty useless if you know what you're doing and have the proper chef knives.
>>
>>8860974
a paring knife is super useful too for when you have to peel something or slice something small - apples come top mind.

also, what on earth can you do with a bread knife that can't be done the same way or better with a chef's knife (e.g. slicing bread)?
>>
Another quick question, for sharpening a Santoku knife do I just use sharpening steel or something else?
>>
>>8861106
>sharpening steel
No such product exists.

You're thinking of a honing steel. Which can help with edge retention, but can NOT be used for sharpening (putting on a new edge).

If you're worried about fucking it up, just spend $10 every 6-12 months to get it professionally sharpened locally.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.