[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Vegan Food / Hail Seitan general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

File: plate_4.jpg (619KB, 2404x1352px) Image search: [Google]
plate_4.jpg
619KB, 2404x1352px
Seeing as >>8810847 is archived, I'll start another thread here.

Pic related: The result of an experimental technique for Seitan, involving a very simple yeast dough, frying, use of a pressure cooker, and a second fry.
>>
File: plate_2.jpg (626KB, 2404x1352px) Image search: [Google]
plate_2.jpg
626KB, 2404x1352px
>>8848968

Cross-section
>>
File: bite_1.jpg (432KB, 2404x1352px) Image search: [Google]
bite_1.jpg
432KB, 2404x1352px
>>8848969

A single bite, showing the texture (firm and pork-like albeit a bit looser than a bite from the center) and crust caramelization (remarkably like caramelized fat).
>>
>>8848968
What does that taste/feel like I'm imagining just a giant mushroom
>>
>>8848978

It's like in between medium-well to well pork and portobello mushroom, but quite moist/with a pleasantly fatty mouthfeel.

Taste is rather dominated by the greek-style seasoning on top, with a savory sort of back-drop not all too dissimilar from a plain white meat such as pork or chicken.

This is because the seitan itself was intentionally simple, albeit leavened with yeast for 1 warm rise and 1 partial chilled rise, for the purpose of organizating the gluten strands and imparting a unique flavor.

This simple dough was kneaded until very elastic and tough, fried while being pressed until a thick golden crust is achieved, then wrapped tightly in cheese cloth and pressure-cooked in a mixture of dark vegetable broth and Chinese fermented broad bean chili & fermented black bean garlic pastes and some soy sauce.

The loaf was unwrapped and left to chill for 10 hours in the broth, before being sliced, liberally seasoned, and fried in neutral oil until well browned.
>>
File: steak_2.jpg (781KB, 2404x1352px) Image search: [Google]
steak_2.jpg
781KB, 2404x1352px
A different slice
>>
>>8848968
>Hail seitan
>>
>>8848968
Why do you even try and recreate meat food like steak or turkey when most of your vegan food only needs spice to make it taste good or more cooking in the oven.
It's like every gf bread I have had it's not as good as real bread and utter shit compared to rice or any other gf carb
>>
File: 1483567213765.gif (1MB, 311x240px) Image search: [Google]
1483567213765.gif
1MB, 311x240px
>>8848975
>caramelized fat
vegan logic
>>
>>8851120

For several reasons.

1. Easier to manage macronutrients if I have something really high in protein to consume as a main course, and arrange my meals in that manner; my seitan has roughly the same macronutrients as steak

2. The challenge - I like hacking at stuff to get it to places no-one expects. No one expects a handful of powders and pastes to end up looking reasonably similar to a pork chop after I finish with them.

3. The taste - this actually had a really nice taste and texture. I enjoyed Seitan when I was on keto and eating tons of meat anyway; if you see it as just another type of food that can be done poorly or done well, and that is hard to describe except in terms of analogy to meat, I think one can derive enjoyment from it.
>>
Most of those super processed soy protein "meat substitutes" use chemicals to break down the soy proteins and re-glued into a meat like shape.

One thing we know for sure, is that highly processed and chemically modified foods always turn out to be horrible for you, if not downright Carcinogenic.
>>
>>8851761
>One thing we know for sure, is that highly processed and chemically modified foods always turn out to be horrible for you, if not downright Carcinogenic.

Fun Fact: they did a study where they found 'Merican vegetarians had unusually high cases of specific cancers.

Eating "soy slime" protein substitutes every day will do that to you.
>>
>>8851761

Op here, mine (>>8849851 >>8848969) isn't like that.

The dough:
> Vital Wheat Gluten
> Salt
> Active Dry Yeast
> Water

The cooking liquid:
> Vegetable broth
> Chinese fermented black bean/garlic and broad bean/chili sauce (I guess this is a little processed)
> Soy sauce

Only other ingredients used are cooking oil and a Greek seasoning blend.
>>
>>8851764
>> Vital Wheat Gluten

Fun Fact: companies like Kraft and ConAgra do not extract wheat gluten via the water method as it is too slow and inefficient. They use chemicals to separate the gluten from starch.

Know what those chemicals do you long term?
>>
>>8851764
Can you use normal wheat flour to make seitan or do you need overly processed meme stuff like Vital Wheat Gluten (TM)
>>
>>8851764
>Chinese fermented black bean/garlic

lol And if you're buying products form a Chinese market, you might as well stop trying to be healthy.

The chemicals they use in their foods will give you cancer way before any Beef or red meat will.

*I'm chinese btw - read chinese food horror stories daily. even big brands like Le Kun Kee are all full of chemicals that would never be used by Western companies.
>>
>>8851763
>Eating "soy slime" protein substitutes every day will do that to you.

Hilarious millenial snowflakes gag at the sight of "Pink Slime" beef but will happily eat reconstituted "soy slime" in the shape of meat.
>>
>>8851777

You can make seitan in the traditional style by simply making a whole-wheat dough and kneading it in a bowl of water, replacing the water several times, to wash away the starch. This is how seitan was made originally, and some producers still make it in a similar way.

Mine is a fairly traditional seitan dough (minus the experiment I had with yeast, which I don't think is necessary), so you should be able to do it that way, yeah. My results were mainly down to the cooking method: overworking the dough, frying it, pressure cooking, resting, and slicing/frying to finish.

>>8851781

I could have just gone with straight veggie broth and maybe some dried mushrooms, I just thought those would add an interesting taste.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.