[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why does Chef John add cayenne to every dish?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 7

why does Chef John add cayenne to every dish?
>>
believes a little heat "wakes up" the rest of the flavors.

like it makes your taste beds more receptive.
>>
>>8837463
cuz it's good

like how Thai food has all 5 flavors in everything

besides he hardly puts any in his dishes
>>
>>8837463
At this point I think he mostly does it for the meme. That or he just really likes cayenne. Can't really blame him for that.
>>
>>8837463
because you are the rain man of your cayenne, OP
>>
>>8837576
Chef john response/10
Beautiful
>>
>>8837468
>>8837524
literally both of these
>>
more importantly why does he speak like a retard
>>
cayenne is very healthy for you
>>
>>8837673
This is the better question. Great channel, I like the recipes he chooses, etc. but god damn is his voiceover a hurtle to get over.
>>
>>8837576
9.3/10

love chef john
>>
>>8837757
I don't mind his voice, but I've found theres no reason to ever watch recipes videos at anything less than 1.25x and he sounds pretty normal when you're listening at atleast that speed
>>
>>8837757
>>8837673
It sucks. His tone used to be a bit sardonic but as he got more popular he got way more cheerful and commercial
>>
I like adding cayenne over pepper tbqh

It adds heat without alterating the flavor
>>
>>8837779
It's more so his intonation. It's not natural. Like, some of his speaking patterns are worthy of speech therapy.
>>
People add salt to most dishes, why not cayenne? It's heat that doesn't fuck with the flavor too much.
>>
>>8837468
similarly to how spice is used to clear sinuses. it probably has the physical effect of clearing sinuses and allowing you to perceive more flavor. there is also the saying "you cant taste the sweet without the spice"
>>
>>8837463
cause his wife's son likes it
>>
>>8837814
Ok so according to /ck/:
>Jack is a cuck
>John Townsend is a cuck
>Chef John is a cuck
Are there any YouTube channels not run by cucks?
>>
>>8837814
Lel, say what you want but Chef John is not the type to be into cucking. J. Kenji Lopez-Alt on the other hand...
>>
As someone who actually cooks a lot and got a decent understanding with it

Cayanne and other peppers are going to make you actually think about what you are tasting. It's an awareness thing.

I'm the same way with paprika.
>>
>>8837818
Youtube is cuck central it's owned by a cuck search engine and anyone that uses services from it's ecosystem are also cucks.
>>
>>8837463
Because he's chef john, and chef john does what he wants, so fuck you.
>>
File: Sa-pepper.jpg (1MB, 1100x1069px) Image search: [Google]
Sa-pepper.jpg
1MB, 1100x1069px
Why did we decide black peppercorns were such a universal spice?

Why shouldn't cayenne also come in a shaker at the table?
>>
>>8837883
Cayenne is a strong strong flavor that only works in very small amounts as a subtle enhancement

Peppercorn goes on fucking everything
>>
>>8837818
Bruno Albouze
>>
>>8837814
Chef John is too much of an alpha to get cucked.

Townsend on the other hands, is a grade-A cuck.
>>
>>8837814
>>8837818
>>8837849
>>8839596
It's 2015 in this thread, apparently.
>>
>>8837463
Because he likes it, you mong.
>>
Why the fuck do you people have to shit on his voice so much? Like goddamn, it's not like he can help it. It makes him pretty fucking unique in my opinion.
>>
>>8839692

He can help it. He chooses to speak that way. In his older videos he sounds like an ordinary guy.

His affectations are great though, as long as you have a soul. He wouldn't speak that way if most people didn't like it.
>>
>you are after all, the king cuck of your peking duck
what did Chef John mean by this?
>>
>>8839692
If you aren't used to it, it can be really grating to hear somebody talk with such incomplete phrasing in their intonation. It's like ending a song on an interrupted cadence, it's uncomfortable to listen to.
>>
>>8839588
"His" son literally black lmao. But I do like his recipes
>>
If you ever wanted proof that nobody on /ck/ knows how to cook, look no further than the fact that most people here love Chef John.

I've only looked at two of his videos. The first was lasagne, where instead of a bechamel he did some sort of weird egg and cheese layer.

The second was a pancake recipe, where he completely messed up the shape of the pancake by not pouring in enough batter, so it didn't cover the bottom of the pan. What's worse, he flips them with a spatula and thinks that people only flip them in the air on TV.

What a fucking pleb, he literally can't cook for shit. He's barely above Jack tier.
>>
>>8840055
>muh authenticity
kys
>>
Literally no reason not to faggit
>>
>>8840060
What are you talking about? Nothing I said was about authenticity, he just cooks everything wrong.
>>
>>8837596
You need to kill yourself.
>>
>>8840073
If it tastes good, why is it wrong?

Oh yeah, because it doesn't adhere to what you consider authentic. Again, kys.
>>
>>8837818
>>8839596
Fuck off, Townsend.
>>
>>8840088
He's literally making a different dish. Lasagne consists of layers of ragu, bechamel and pasta sheets. I don't know what the fuck he made, maybe it even tastes good, but he shouldn't be calling it lasagne.

As for the pancakes, he just completely messed up the presentation. Go look at his pancake video (for some reason he calls them "crayps", if I got served pancakes like that in a restaurant I'd send them back. And the fact that he doesn't flip them just highlights his general lack of cooking finesse.
>>
>>8840055
His hot chicken recipe yielded nice results, although I did have to modify the sauce recipe to make it spicy enough
>>
>>8837883
because black pepper and salt are baseline flavor enhancers that, provided they are used at the right time in prep/cooking, never fail to enhance any dish.

capsicum-derived spices impart their own flavor without necessarily enhancing the flavors you want to taste in the dish. it's also important to add sweetness to a spicy dish to co-enhance the spice flavor. this alone prevents it from being a universal addition.

the closest thing to what you're looking for is probably the preponderance of two separate pepper types in sichuan cooking: the sichuan peppercorn--numbing--and the chili pepper--warming. this combination is used in _a lot_ of sichuan dishes. certainly not universal.

even glutamic acid--a universal flavor enhancer unto itself--isn't added to every dish because many of the ingredients will provide it and be enhanced by the salt and pepper. cayenne won't really aid this.
>>
>>8837883
>>8840118

and specifically re: shakers, uncooked dry spices aside from salt and pepper tend not to taste good or dissolve in saliva.
>>
>>8837757
At least he doesn't sound like this:

https://youtu.be/UMGbDz-Vgxw

>you can't make it a whole minute
>>
File: ..jpg (17KB, 735x735px) Image search: [Google]
..jpg
17KB, 735x735px
>>8837524
>he mostly does it for the meme.

this
>>
>>8840133
>vegan

Stopped right there...
>>
>>8840133
>you can see how healthful this recipe is: no dairy, no cream, no fat. Just water, tahini
>no fat
>just tahini
>>
>>8840133
Meh - I've seen worse. Maybe you are triggered by the vegan recipe?
>>
File: vegans BTFO'd.png (68KB, 856x612px) Image search: [Google]
vegans BTFO'd.png
68KB, 856x612px
because it's good, pleb
>>
>>8837673
I find it endearing. Why does everyone have to talk the same way?
>>
>>8840161
>>8840164
The sliders themselves are actually pretty good, I found this when looking for new ways to make falafel. The vegan thing doesn't bother me, it's just that voice that sounds like it had to have been modified somehow.
>>
>>8837468
>taste beds
>>
>>8840173
Hmm, can't say that she sounds particularly unpleasant but that's of course very subjective.
There are some female talking heads on YT that sound like an angle grinder. She doesn't have that high pitched angry voice some of them have.
>>
File: HAI GUIIIZEE!!!!.jpg (40KB, 425x408px) Image search: [Google]
HAI GUIIIZEE!!!!.jpg
40KB, 425x408px
>>8840193
>female talking heads on YT that sound like an angle
>>
File: TLahren.jpg (47KB, 800x500px) Image search: [Google]
TLahren.jpg
47KB, 800x500px
>>8840232
Not /ck/ related, but here's a good example. Like nails on a chalkboard.
>>
>>8840055

>bechamel

Fuck you commie, this is America.
>>
>>8837673
i think he probably did it as a nervous tic when he first started then just came naturally
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.