[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Southern Growing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: south.jpg (97KB, 814x541px) Image search: [Google]
south.jpg
97KB, 814x541px
One thing that i've come to adore by living in the south is the way everyone seems to love their gardens.

It gets hot as balls and we get drenched every week or so on average so why not make a kickass garden?

Best part is so many people so it that they all have their own tips and tricks, literally everyone has 5 different ways of growing tomatoes.

tl:dr
>Southern U.S is agriculture master race
>/ck/ got any gardening tips for herb/veggie gardens?
>>
File: 20170416_184139.jpg (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20170416_184139.jpg
2MB, 2560x1440px
>>8820879
Clover master race checking in. Fixes nitrogen from the air, collect the seeds for next year, till under to rot for soil improvement. I'm in the white trash south too. Plant it in the fall.

Secondly, be diligent about crop rotation. Don't plant the same family of vegetables in the same area. Insect pests are horrible down here and planting the same family in the same area only intensifies them. If you want to use chemicals, then just go to your favorite supermarket; it defeats the entire purpose of growing your own food.

It's enjoyable, rewarding and you burn calories working it. Don't forget, we have 3 seasons. I ate fresh spinach, kale and buttercrunch lettuce through the winter. If I were a christfag, which I'm not, I'd say we were blessed.
>>
>>8820879
Try /diy/ and/or /out/
>>
>>8820879
Tomatoes are hard in a lot of the south, be sure to find a variety that can put up with heat. One summer in Georgia, it was too hot for the tomatoes to pollinate for nearly three months straight. My yields tend to be shit, except with cherry tomatoes.

I really like doing peanuts down here. I've had a lot of success and its a fun plant to grow
>>
>>8822677
I live in MS and we generally do 6-8 plants and end up canning @60 quarts. We do Jet Star, Better Boy, Roma, and Brandywine. Never had problems with heat issues but we try to plant them in an area where they get partial shade in the afternoon. You might try using a screen of some kind in the afternoons. Also, a neat trick to help avoid blossom end rot which can be a problem down here, is to add half a cup of bonemeal to your planting hole. Use BTK to get rid of tomato worms. It's a bacteria that only kills caterpillar type insects so it won't harm your beneficials.
>>
>>8822792
Yeah I was doing full sun. I'll try some better shade this year. Never really had a problem with blossom end rot but I did get powdery mildew last year and some neem oil cleared it right up.
>>
>>8821012

Clover isn't an edible plant though. Can you tell a guy who doesn't really do farming, why not fix nitrogen with peanuts and other legumes?
>>
>>8822888
>other legumes

Absolutely. They all fix nitrogen. We grow english peas and several kinds of beans as well. We have grown peanuts, but they're a hassle to deal with in terms of weeds since you can't use a ground cloth. They send shoots into the ground where the peanuts grow so the ground has to be open. Tough to hoe without damaging the nuts, too.

I like using clover in ground we're leaving fallow because in addition to the nitrogen fixation it produces a huge amount of material to till in, much more than other legumes.
>>
>>8822677
>doing peanuts down here. I've had a lot of success and its a fun plant to grow

You monster. It's a violation of the laws to grow peanuts without a federal peanut farming license. Jimmy Carter will frag your ass if he finds you.

I'm going to keep this thread bumped and call the USDA on you, you bastard.
>>
>>8823211
I know your just kidding, but I suspect that's only for commercial production. In MS they sell the seeds at our local farmers coop and anyone can buy them.
>>
>>8820879
My father grows lavender in the ground every summer in New Orleans just to confuse people. It's pretty great.
>>
>>8822677
If there's one thing I miss about living in Georgia when I was a kid, it was the roadside peanut stands. We'd buy some every time we went somewhere in the car.
>>
>>8823275
How does it confuse people? Do you mean he seeds his entire lawn in lavender? That'd be pretty cool.
>>
>>8822175
go back to your mac chicken thread steve
>>
>>8823279
Same, getting boiled peanuts from the side of the road, the best ones were the ones boiled over a wood fire, gave the goobers that extra flavor
>>
>>8820879
Don't plant sweet and hot peppers close to each other, or at similar pollination times. Kinda similar to corn, you will loose the heat out of the peppers.
>>
>>8823623
Corn is hot?
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.